freight derailment on Crescent route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a CSX line in place between BHM and ATL, via Irondale, Ragland and Ohattchee. This line sees a couple of freights a day,It would be the shortest re-route by mileage, but probably not travel time.
The route you are talking about can not be used, as it no longer goes through. The line is the former Seaboard Airline Railroad main between Birmingham and Atlanta. Only the Birmingham to Wellington AL portion remains. East of that point it has been abandoned. At this point it meets the remnant of the formere L&N's Alabama Mineral line that ran from Calera AL to Gadsden AL. This line, which went through Anniston, has been abandoned south of Wellington.

There is a CSX line in place between BHM and ATL, via Irondale, Ragland and Ohattchee. This line sees a couple of freights a day,It would be the shortest re-route by mileage, but probably not travel time.
The route you are talking about can not be used, as it no longer goes through. The line is the former Seaboard Airline Railroad main between Birmingham and Atlanta. Only the Birmingham to Wellington AL portion remains. East of that point it has been abandoned. At this point it meets the remnant of the formere L&N's Alabama Mineral line that ran from Calera AL to Gadsden AL. This line, which went through Anniston, has been abandoned south of Wellington.
According to the CSX system map it is still intact all the way through. I know there is service between BHM and Ohattchee there is a wood chipper that gets long strings of cars from this route.

Was the Seaboard line the route of the Silver Comet? If so, most of that is now a "rails to trails" biking/walking path.

Was the Seaboard line the route of the Silver Comet? If so, most of that is now a "rails to trails" biking/walking path.
Yes, it is the route of the Silver Comet.. Check out my extensive post under Miscellanoeus Rail Discussion on May 14. I wrote due to all the local news about a recent murder. I also referred to it on a July 15 response on this current post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on that Crescent with the OTOL group and had the pleasure of meeting both Bill and Jay and enjoyed their company. Sorry to hear you had such trouble getting home bill, but least you got the call and that voucher which is a nice touch.

Jack

I was on that Crescent with the OTOL group and had the pleasure of meeting both Bill and Jay and enjoyed their company. Sorry to hear you had such trouble getting home bill, but least you got the call and that voucher which is a nice touch.
Jack

Thanks Jack.

And I got a voucher earlier in the year when I took the train to DC for National Train Day. My sleeper was bad ordered and I had to ride coach and got a voucher for the difference between coach and sleeper fare.

In fact I used that voucher for the Birmingham trip!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back