From FTW to Emeryville

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahmama

Train Attendant
I guess I already asked the question in the topic description.

We're going to try to take the Southwest Chief one way and the CA Zephyr the other way - making connections with the Coast Starlight. Any comments on which train to take west? Looks like the Southwest Chief might be the westbound and the Zephyr the eastbound and of course having a long day on the Coast Starlight to join them. (Overnighting in San Francisco)

Another question - should we book a room on the CS to take advantage of the meals and the wine-tasting or just stick with coach? I'm sure we'll try to sit in the Viewliner (is that the name) for part of the journey.

Thanks for your suggestions and opinions.

Unless you want to stay overnight in LA, there is no way to connect from the CS to the SWC. So the only choice for a same day connection is to head west on the SWC to the northbound CS. And yes, if at all possible I would get a sleeper on the CS. Especially if there are 2 passengers! The meals alone may cover (or nearly cover) the extra cost! Plus that is the only way you can gain access to the Pacific Parlour Car (PPC)! (Viewliners are the single level sleepers used on eastern trains.)

Unless you want to stay overnight in LA, there is no way to connect from the CS to the SWC. So the only choice for a same day connection is to head west on the SWC to the northbound CS. And yes, if at all possible I would get a sleeper on the CS. Especially if there are 2 passengers! The meals alone may cover (or nearly cover) the extra cost! Plus that is the only way you can gain access to the Pacific Parlour Car (PPC)! (Viewliners are the single level sleepers used on eastern trains.)
Thanks for the info about the CS. I would have hated to miss the view from the PPC!

Checking out one possible route - I show that the Southwest Chief arrives at 8:15 AM and the Coast Starlight departs at 10:25 AM. Is that connection a bit too close?

The next leg would be Arriving in SAC (or more likely San Francisco area) and there we'd have an overnight - catching the CZ the next morning heading back to Chicago.

I should have reasked my original question. Do you think it would be better to take the TE all the way into Chicago before catching the SWC or transfer at St Louis to arrive in Kansas city and make our connection there?

The reason I thought about that was that I thought we would be bussed from St. Louis to Chicago because of the alert. I understand now (thanks to the article on the Forum) that it involves an alternate route, so I guess that wouldn't be necessary.

For the CS it is almost always worth it to get the room the price is usually reasonable when you factor in meals+PPC+wine&cheese tasting+the overall CS exp. that usually has really good crews. Making the connx in KCY is the route I would prefer since I like STL & San Fran better than LA. But you could also do the CZ out west but you are looking at a late arrival and early departure on the next mornings CS. Happy rails

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest you consider taking the TE to STL/the Missouri River Runner to KCY to connect with the SWC, then the Guaranteed Connection to the Starlight to Emeryville where you can spend the night across from the Station, then catch the Zephyr from Emeryville to Galesburg (GBB), the Thruway Van from GBB to Springfield ,Ill (SPI), then the Eagle to FTW> This is IF there Eagle is running its regular route from STL-CHI and not Detoured into the Cornfileds of Illinois as is currently the case!

If so, and you take the TE to CHI you will have to spend the night in CHI since the there is no connection between the Eagle and the Western Trains! In this case, consider the first suggestion, as has been said you cant connect from LAX to FTW without riding the Sunset/TE without spending a night in STL since the SEC/River Runner and TE dont make same day connections anymore! Confused yet? :wacko: That's why were here! :lol:

You can take the TE north to St Louis and cross over on the River Runner to KC. You can also take the TE south and west directly to LA! (Note that train #421 only operates 3 days a week!) Either train will arrive into LA in plenty of time to connect to the CS - pending any unforeseen occurances.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info about the CS. I would have hated to miss the view from the PPC!

Checking out one possible route - I show that the Southwest Chief arrives at 8:15 AM and the Coast Starlight departs at 10:25 AM. Is that connection a bit too close?

The next leg would be Arriving in SAC (or more likely San Francisco area) and there we'd have an overnight - catching the CZ the next morning heading back to Chicago.

I should have reasked my original question. Do you think it would be better to take the TE all the way into Chicago before catching the SWC or transfer at St Louis to arrive in Kansas city and make our connection there?

The reason I thought about that was that I thought we would be bussed from St. Louis to Chicago because of the alert. I understand now (thanks to the article on the Forum) that it involves an alternate route, so I guess that wouldn't be necessary.
The connection from 3 to 14 is pretty reliable, as 3 usually arrives on time or early by as much as 50 minutes. Barring derailments, flooding, BNSF dispatches that train well. That is one of the very few LD to LD connections I am willing to make, personally.

You can take the TE north to St Louis and cross over on the River Runner to KC. You can also take the TE south and west directly to LA! (Note that train #421 only operates 3 days a week!) Either train will arrive into LA in plenty of time to connect to the CS - pending any unforeseen occurances.
We've actually ridden the TE from FTW to LAX (except it was running late and we were bussed over to make our connection with the CS!) and we have taken the EB from Seattle to CHI - but we've never done the CZ NOR the SWC - so that's what we're trying to do.

I like the idea of connecting at St Louis/KC, and coming back - it's ok to spend a couple of nights in CHI - really like that toddlin' town - great jazz clubs - friendly people (i know some will not agree..)

Still confused about the track error message - so we CAN get from CHI to FTW without being bussed? We never mind being late.

I suggest you consider taking the TE to STL/the Missouri River Runner to KCY to connect with the SWC, then the Guaranteed Connection to the Starlight to Emeryville where you can spend the night across from the Station, then catch the Zephyr from Emeryville to Galesburg (GBB), the Thruway Van from GBB to Springfield ,Ill (SPI), then the Eagle to FTW> This is IF there Eagle is running its regular route from STL-CHI and not Detoured into the Cornfileds of Illinois as is currently the case!

If so, and you take the TE to CHI you will have to spend the night in CHI since the there is no connection between the Eagle and the Western Trains! In this case, consider the first suggestion, as has been said you cant connect from LAX to FTW without riding the Sunset/TE without spending a night in STL since the SEC/River Runner and TE dont make same day connections anymore! Confused yet? :wacko: That's why were here! :lol:
I like the idea of the TE to STL then KCY for the SWC. I esp like the guaranteed connection to the Starlight. And we'll probably spend a couple of nights at Emeryville. (Across from the Station? Name of hotel??) And then the Zephyr home. I was hoping to spend a couple of nights in CHI - so probably will not do the Galesbury connection bit.

Thanks for the ideas - and the information - and I sure would like the name of that hotel....

I guess I already asked the question in the topic description.

We're going to try to take the Southwest Chief one way and the CA Zephyr the other way - making connections with the Coast Starlight. Any comments on which train to take west? Looks like the Southwest Chief might be the westbound and the Zephyr the eastbound and of course having a long day on the Coast Starlight to join them. (Overnighting in San Francisco)

Another question - should we book a room on the CS to take advantage of the meals and the wine-tasting or just stick with coach? I'm sure we'll try to sit in the Viewliner (is that the name) for part of the journey.

Thanks for your suggestions and opinions.
Fort Worth, TX to California via Chicago is a huge detour, but if you want to take it, who am I to stop you :)

BTW, have you considered taking the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited from FTW straight to Los Angeles instead of detouring via Chicago? You will get to see the southern desert scenery one way and then you can take Zephyr to Chicago and Eagle back to FTW thus completing a complete loop without repeating the same route twice.

On the altered route on the TE, they are doing trackwork, as they have been doing the last couple of year, on the points between STL and CHI. So all those stops in between are getting a busrides.If you are booked on the TE any poimt south of STL going to CHI you will NOT be bussed. Once the TE leaves STL it runs a different route to avoid the trackwork but it goes well east of all the normal stops, it is supposed to run a nonstop schedule but alas they are still at the mercy of the freights, and they also have to cross a bizzzzeee rail yard as they make there way back to Chicago Union Station, hence a late train. but from FTW-CHI there is no bus ride. We will be taking a trip out to the west coast in a couple o weeks using the TE-MORR-SWC. We went through the rockies earlier this year on the CZ east and west and there wasn't alot of snow :( they were still majestic, but they sure look alot better covered in snow IMO. I like the idea of taking the TE to STL and making the 4 o'clock connx to the MORR giving us all day to explore Saint Louis (we've been through there plenty, but never been there so to speak) We plan on going up on the arch and visiting some of the gardens and such during the layover. Then on our return we are taking the CS/EB back to CHI and overnight there, before we return home on the TE with a non-stop route from CHI to STL. IMO you really aren't missing much scenery wise by catching the SWC in KCY on your way out west, and by taking the SWC you are getting better connx times to the CS

The name of the hotel in Emy is The Hyatt House. It is just across the tracks via an elevated walkway. It has elevators and is also a very short walk. If you need a rental car Enterprise is just across the street from the station and my experience with them has been very good.

Thanks for all the info and ideas. And in particular, thanks for the Hotel name - it sounds as if it is situated just right for us. And also knowing about Enterprise. Now all I have to do is find the dates that have an affordable bucket! I am so glad for the AmSnag. I don't know who authored AnSnag and keeps it current, but I sure appreciate your time and thoughtfulness.

What a great forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back