Fuel Prices Dropping

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmm, not exactly. The 2007 Prius is actually more fuel efficient than the 2014 Prius. It's true that people have been switching from gas guzzlers to efficient cars, but within each class of car, improvement has been pretty small.
My 2002 Saturn 5-speed gas guzzler was more efficient than the 2014 Prius. It only cost me $10k brand new and I wasn't offered any tax breaks.
How do you figure that?

Here's a link to the official fuel consumption rates for all 2002 Saturns http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/Saturn2002.shtml . None of them are higher than 29 MPG. The 2014 Prius gets a combined 50 MPG.
Stop putting facts in the way of my emotions. But if you want to go further in this, AVERAGE MPG's between a 2002 Saturn SL 5-sp has a user reported HIGH of 43 MPG vs a user reported LOW of 32 MPG for a 2005 Prius.

My point was poorly put that I could get 40 MPG out of my $10,000 Saturn which was pretty dang good compared to the intial cost with subsidies of cars that got nominally higher MPG.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll agree with OH's statement that passenger train equipment isn't what it used to be ( I'll take a Heritage Pullman,( although the Showers are nice!) Dome Car, Diner or Lounge Car any day over today's equipment, including the engines, with the exception of a Superliner Coach which is far Superior to the old Chair Cars excepting the Santa Fe's Bi- Levels, today's PPCs!)

I take exception that the old automobiles ( including pick- ups)were better,although nostalgia makes them very desireable but expensive! Today's vehicles are much safer, more comfortable, dependable and for sure more efficient! The old ones were maintence hogs, very unsafe and harder to drive and operate! ( power everything)

I remember the whale cars of the 40s and 50s ( my first car was a 58 Dodge) owned muscle cars in the 60s and 70s, " economy" cars in the 70s and 80s and they were pieces of crap compared to today's technical marvels! ( better living through electronics!) YMMV

For sure, jimhudson. I'd take a '75 Ford over an '84 Corrola, but I'd enjoy a nice 2015 Prius over the all the above - even a 2012 Saturn (if I could get it for the same price! LOL).

Even if the car makes a comeback everywhere except congested downtown areas, congested downtown areas are currently making a big comeback. They're the hot living quarters for the upper middle class now. There's been quite a bit written about this, but I think few have thought through the full implications. For one thing, this means the upscale, high-price-tolerant city-center-to-city-center travel market is *growing*.

The history of why they're making a comeback is complicated. I could write a whole essay on it.

Even if the car makes a comeback everywhere except congested downtown areas, congested downtown areas are currently making a big comeback. They're the hot living quarters for the upper middle class now. There's been quite a bit written about this, but I think few have thought through the full implications. For one thing, this means the upscale, high-price-tolerant city-center-to-city-center travel market is *growing*.

The history of why they're making a comeback is complicated. I could write a whole essay on it.
If you do get around to writing it please post it here. I'd love to read it. I have a much simpler approach to determining the vitality of an urban location, by the number of people I see walking dogs. The resurgence of city centers will continue until this generation's children grow up and want to go back to the suburbs or whatever area they decide to revitalize. Amtrak couldn't be in a sweeter spot for NEC demand. High gas, low gas, Amtrak ticket prices are only going to go in one direction.....up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back