Full Eclips of the Sun During CS Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sky12065

Conductor
We left Los Angeles the day before yesterday and arrived at Portland yesterday. During the trip the Conductor made the announcement that operations informed him that a full eclips of the sun was going to happen and at percisely what time.

At the proper time he came on the public address system and informed us of this and that it was going to happen at any moment. About one minute later the Starlight entered one the several tunnels that we would encounter during the trip.

Well, at least you can't say that Conductors don't have a sense of humor! :cool: :lol:

We left Los Angeles the day before yesterday and arrived at Portland yesterday. During the trip the Conductor made the announcement that operations informed him that a full eclips of the sun was going to happen and at percisely what time.
At the proper time he came on the public address system and informed us of this and that it was going to happen at any moment. About one minute later the Starlight entered one the several tunnels that we would encounter during the trip.

Well, at least you can't say that Conductors don't have a sense of humor! :cool: :lol:
The really funny part is that the conductor knew exactly when the train was going to get to the tunnel.

The really funny part is that the conductor knew exactly when the train was going to get to the tunnel.
I don't know how the conductor knew. I could be that from experience he starts watching for a familiar landmark and knows the timing from the landmark to the tunnel.

Aside, another thing I found interesting is just how many tunnels the CS actually does go through. Never knew it went through any. I wasn't counting but it must have been at least 7 or 8. I told my wife "Wow, I didn't know you could have more than one eclips in a day!" :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't know how the conductor knew. I could be that from experience he starts watching for a familiar landmark and knows the timing from the landmark to the tunnel.
The conductor has to know. He's required to know basically every inch of the route he travels on. This is part of being qualified to work the route. At any given moment, he must be able to look out the window and know where he is on that route based upon the available landmarks outside the window.

I think Saxman was the victim, too, according to his trip report as a part of USA trip.
I was a victim of this very same conductor. The other thing I remember about this conductors announcements were that they were very detailed and there was something about this PA's that made him unique. Some car attendants thought it was kind of annoying in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back