Future of the Pacific Parlour Cars?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some interesting comments about PPCs here. In my case, my wife and I have ridden the Coast Starlight a couple times each year ever since Amtrak began using the Hi-level lounge on the CS as a first class lounge. The cars first went into service on the CS in the condition they had been in for many years, but spruced up a bit. Only later did Amtrak fully renovate the interior into the configuration in use today.

Regarding usage of the swivel chairs, it is true that some people try to hog them. I've seen passengers leave things behind on the seat while they go off to the diner. Most of the time, however, one can find a seat or two -- except when passing through spectacular scenery. Regarding attendents, quality varies. Some go out of their way to create a nice atmosphere in the car and to sell their products. Some do as little as possible. One time I rode the CS and a CCC was substituted for the PPS -- the attendent spent a great deal of time on her smart phone on that trip. It should be obvious to management by the totals of what people sell, who is putting out effort. The "duds" sell little but seem to get away with it. Attendants also need to remind travelers that the swivel seats are not reserved and are for the enjoyment of everyone.

Both my wife and I feel the PPC adds a huge amount to the trip. The CS is one of Amtrak's most scenic trains and I've met other passengers from around the nation and world making a point of riding it. New ideas are necessary to optimize the car's potential, but I would never recommend giving up on it. The idea of business class seating might be worth exploring as there is definitely a market there waiting for Amtrak to exploit. The steam table also needs to be removed. The meal program seems like a good idea and brings revenue to the car. l know I'm beating a dead horse here, but management needs to ensure a consistent level of service in each car and attendent to ensure quality from ride to ride.

A reminder that the Pacific Parlour Cars are still scheduled to be out of service for maintenance between this coming Monday, January 12, and March 12.

A post on Facebook's Coast Starlight group shows passengers boarding train 14 in a steady rain this evening. Winning comment:

The gods are crying because the PPCs are going on hiatus.

Spotters need to keep an eye out for these next week as they make the trip to Indiana; I wonder if they will be consolidated in one place and all 5 moved together or some will move out from SEA and the others from LAX?

I'll be boarding the PPCless #14 in Seattle on Monday (I'll be in coach).

I just rode in a PPC on 11; an it looks like the nickel and diming, win by cutting service has affected them also. As we were boarding in Davis, I heard the attendant announcing that he had to turn away customers for breakfast in the parlour car, using the euphemism "sold out". Later, by the time he reached us in the middle of the 3 sleepers taking reservations for lunch, the parlour car was all booked up. We were particularly disappointed because we had come all the way out west on the CZ from Illinois; and as you know, the number of selections offered in the dining car for a given meal nationwide can be counted on one hand. I felt sorry for the attendant having to apologize for such cheesiness.

Apparently, a lot of people complained, because later he announced that a few penny pasta dishes (PPC's version of the EB's Dinty Moore?) would be available. I enjoyed it.

I just rode in a PPC on 11; an it looks like the nickel and diming, win by cutting service has affected them also. As we were boarding in Davis, I heard the attendant announcing that he had to turn away customers for breakfast in the parlour car, using the euphemism "sold out". Later, by the time he reached us in the middle of the 3 sleepers taking reservations for lunch, the parlour car was all booked up. We were particularly disappointed because we had come all the way out west on the CZ from Illinois; and as you know, the number of selections offered in the dining car for a given meal nationwide can be counted on one hand. I felt sorry for the attendant having to apologize for such cheesiness.

Apparently, a lot of people complained, because later he announced that a few penny pasta dishes (PPC's version of the EB's Dinty Moore?) would be available. I enjoyed it.
There are two things that jam up the PPC's food situation. One is the fact that I think the food is mostly or all loaded in LAX and has to be distributed over all the seatings (two lunches, two dinners, and a breakfast). The other is that there are only about 12-18 seats available at lunch or dinner, so it really isn't uncommon for the PPC to sell out (particularly in California...I basically had to tactically position myself to get seats in the PPC on a few occasions over Christmas). Even if you bumped that to 24 (two full seatings) that might well be 24 seats versus 3-4 times that many sleeper passengers.

A "trick" I quickly learned to get a Meal Seat in the PPC is to be IN the PPC when the Lead starts his or her rounds as often they will start first in the PPC and then head up to the Sleepers.

I am unclear if Amtrak plans to put a sightseer lounge in place of the PPC... I hope so, or us plebes in coach are going to have to... share... our lounge car with *sleeper passengers* (ugh!).

There are still plenty of low-bucket coach seats available for the sea-lax run tomorrow so I'm hopeful it will not be as crowded a trip as lax-sea was last Monday.

I am unclear if Amtrak plans to put a sightseer lounge in place of the PPC... I hope so, or us plebes in coach are going to have to... share... our lounge car with *sleeper passengers* (ugh!).

There are still plenty of low-bucket coach seats available for the sea-lax run tomorrow so I'm hopeful it will not be as crowded a trip as lax-sea was last Monday.
:giggle:

Since this is Off Season for travel youy should have plenty of room and possibly a very good chance of having a 2 Pack to yourself most if not all the trip.

Since this is Off Season for travel youy should have plenty of room and possibly a very good chance of having a 2 Pack to yourself most if not all the trip.
Thanks, my past experience agrees with you- I travel with two kids, so we generally are given four across and rarely get a fourth, and then usually only someone on a short day run. The worst was getting a seatmate in the middle of the night (in Redding or so, southbound), and second worst was last Monday when I had a seatmate upon boarding in Simi Valley, both of us going all the way to Seattle. I thought Jan 5 was into offseason, but I was clearly mistaken.

At the very least, Amtrak needs to put a CCC on while the PPC is out of service. A SSL would be nice, but I don't think that there's enough in the fleet to do that.

Thanks, my past experience agrees with you- I travel with two kids, so we generally are given four across and rarely get a fourth, and then usually only someone on a short day run. The worst was getting a seatmate in the middle of the night (in Redding or so, southbound), and second worst was last Monday when I had a seatmate upon boarding in Simi Valley, both of us going all the way to Seattle. I thought Jan 5 was into offseason, but I was clearly mistaken.
Jan. 5 wasn't really into the off-season this year due to how New Years' fell. Basically, you do tend to get a lot of travel spilling off of major holiday seasons by a day or two (so expect the Monday after New Years' to be a bit packed) since some folks will opt to travel then since fares aren't as crazy and/or they opted to book at the last minute and that was the only availability.

IIRC I did some poking around on fares, and in mid-December or thereabouts it wasn't until the middle of that week (i.e. the 7th or 8th) that fares were more "sane". Part of this was probably AGR spillover from blackout dates into that Monday, but part of it was doubtlessly the fact that folks with flexible travel dates will kick their trips over by a day or two to dodge the crowds...sort of creating a crowd of their own.

A "trick" I quickly learned to get a Meal Seat in the PPC is to be IN the PPC when the Lead starts his or her rounds as often they will start first in the PPC and then head up to the Sleepers.
The last time I rode (over a year ago) the PPC attendant was very clear in his announcements that he would begin in the sleepers and only after he went through the sleepers would he check if anyone in the lounge wanted reservations. I can't remember his name but he was excellent, he also made it clear that the purple chairs could not be reserved and were strictly first come first serve. All of this was done in a professional way... I ate every meal I could in the PPC car on that trip.

Every time Ive ridden I was able to sign up before the Train even left Union Station except last October on the way to the Gathering where we were shut out from eating lunch and dinner in the PPC!( there was no announcement nor opportunity to sign up even offered)

When we inquired why this was the less than pleasant attendant said that she reserved spots for a group that was traveling together and that SHE decided who ate in the Parlor Car, NOT us!!!

I contacted CR when I got home and received an apology and a nice Voucher!

Unfortunately the attendant has enough Seniority to keep her spot but hopefully will be bumped to Coach Attendant or Yard Worker when the PPC are pulled for " maintence" this week!!.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last time I rode (over a year ago) the PPC attendant was very clear in his announcements that he would begin in the sleepers and only after he went through the sleepers would he check if anyone in the lounge wanted reservations. I can't remember his name but he was excellent, he also made it clear that the purple chairs could not be reserved and were strictly first come first serve. All of this was done in a professional way... I ate every meal I could in the PPC car on that trip.
In my cases it was the Diner Lead who handled reservations for both the Diner and PPC and when he/she came into the PPC heading towards the Sleepers went ahead and got us taken care of since we were technically already in the Sleeper. Breakfast for the PPC was handled First Come/First Served and there were never any stampedes; I often ate Breakfast in the Diner since I wanted to gut up on that good Omlette and Trimmings.

Don't want to have to associate with the "great washed", eh? :p

Seriously the PPC's have looked like they had some deferred maintenance issues. May they fix 'em up and get them rolling again.

In my cases it was the Diner Lead who handled reservations for both the Diner and PPC and when he/she came into the PPC heading towards the Sleepers went ahead and got us taken care of since we were technically already in the Sleeper. Breakfast for the PPC was handled First Come/First Served and there were never any stampedes; I often ate Breakfast in the Diner since I wanted to gut up on that good Omlette and Trimmings.
I'm sure every crew has their own way... that's the Amtrak spirit! Even though the selection was minimal I really enjoyed Breakfast in the PPC... I was connecting to the Empire Builder so I knew I would have plenty of chances for the "standards" so i took the opportunity to enjoy the PPC. As far as I know.. the Coast Starlight is the only regular service that offered such a first class dining experience. What I mean is private table for your party only... that along with the lovely PPC ambiance was a really special thing. I'm glad I got to do it when I could.. I have doubts that we will see the PPC's return as they were... but here's hoping!

Sitting in Seattle in car 1111. Parlour car is on the train.

1377578_10206058656928161_7389605526767400817_n.jpg

It looks and sounds like maybe they are going to pool them all into LAX, tie them together and run them to Beech Grove via the Chief and Cardinal. Hopefully that is the plan and they do not end up getting dropped somewhere never to be seen again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back