Gainesville,GA Amtrak station parking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

Train Attendant
I am planning a trip from Gainesville,GA to Hattiesburg,MS on October 28th,with a return on the 30th. How safe will it be to leave my car parked at the Gainesville Amtrak station ?

I am planning a trip from Gainesville,GA to Hattiesburg,MS on October 28th,with a return on the 30th. How safe will it be to leave my car parked at the Gainesville Amtrak station ?
Gainesville is unstaffed, however you can call the ATL stationary and ask the speak to the Manger who has responsibility for Gainesvile. There is an NS ops office int eh same building and there are parking spaces along side the building, but it it an industrial area and I would be cautious about overnight parking. Good luck!

We drove by the station to check it out for the same purpose. It looked pretty safe to me. I'd check with local police and ask them to keep an eye on it if they would just to make sure. In fact if they agree, I'd provide them with name, address, plate number, car description and cell phone number in case something does happen.

Unless you have a hot new car, I'd take the chance. We usually live our car at the kids' house i Atlanta and take the train out of there but if there was a problem one time, I wouldn't hesitate to leave my car in Gainesville.

Have you considered departing on your trip from the Toccoa (TCA) station? It is around 40 miles north of Gainesville (GNS). According to station info from the Amtrak website there are 15 long term parking sites in TCA compared to 5 LT sites in GNS. That alone would give you better assurance of getting a parking site. TCA is a much smaller town than GNS and I would speculate it would be safer to park there.

The TCA station is a flag stop station which requires you to reserve your tickets at least 24 hours in advance. The train stops only when passengers are present, either on the train or station platform, and ticketed to and/or from the station. The station is unstaffed (just as GNS) but has a enclosed waiting room within the station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered departing on your trip from the Toccoa (TCA) station? It is around 40 miles north of Gainesville (GNS). According to station info from the Amtrak website there are 15 long term parking sites in TCA compared to 5 LT sites in GNS. That alone would give you better assurance of getting a parking site. TCA is a much smaller town than GNS and I would speculate it would be safer to park there.

The TCA station is a flag stop station which requires you to reserve your tickets at least 24 hours in advance. The train stops only when passengers are present, either on the train or station platform, and ticketed to and/or from the station. The station is unstaffed (just as GNS) but has a enclosed waiting room within the station.
Toccoa also has a Chamber office and the MilitaryMuseum in the same building, so it is in a much better area than Gainesville. I would strongly recommend that as an alternative.

We parked our car at the Gainesville station for 4 nights with no problem at all. Norfolk Southern has an office there and there are freight crews coming and going at all hours so we felt pretty safe. The parking spaces are right next to the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back