Galesburg/Springfield van TE/CZ gone?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gercohen

Train Attendant
I had been planning a trip Dallas to Sacramento via the Texas Eagle and California Zephyr. I checked last week and there was a routing that included a van connection at Springfield over to Galesburg. I got ready to book and checked this morning for ten different days over the next 11 months and the only routings are now westbound to connect with the Coast Starlight in LA. (or to a bus and San Jouquin). anyone know what happened?

I had been planning a trip Dallas to Sacramento via the Texas Eagle and California Zephyr. I checked last week and there was a routing that included a van connection at Springfield over to Galesburg. I got ready to book and checked this morning for ten different days over the next 11 months and the only routings are now westbound to connect with the Coast Starlight in LA. (or to a bus and San Jouquin). anyone know what happened?
that connection still shows up eastbound CZ 6/ 5221 (van Galesburg-Spfld)/ TE 21 it's gone westbound

The van bridge shows if I construct Dallas to Martinez (a couple stops past Sacramento on the CZ) BUT even though the CS runs to Martinez on its way to Emeryville the routing insists that I get off in Sacramento and wait 2 hours and catch a Capitol Corridor Sacramento to Martinez. Go figure. Guess I could book and just throw away the last coupon !

Last edited by a moderator:
There must be some oddity in the Arrow reservation system about busses.

If ask for destination Emeryville, Arrow says I have to get off in Sacramento (like you) and wait 2 hours for a Capital Corridor to go on to EMY even though the train I was on (#6) terminates in EMY. If I ask for destination San Francisco all is well, no problem, no getting off in SAC. However, I cannot do that because this is AGR and that day (12/27)is a black out date and I can't transfer to the bus or anything else. Can they sell me the bus coupon? NO. It flummoxes the whole trip because the 9:10 pm arrival on the Corridor is too late to get the Merry Go Round to the McArthur BART to get into San Francisco and then it will probably be after 11 pm and I miss the last bus to the neighborhood I want - and it's a long uphill walk.

I wonder if the SCA would allow me to stay on the train? I guess I'll call back AGR in a day or so and try another agent but I'm not really hopeful.

I would think the wait and transfer to the Cap Corr would nix the whole thing anyway because it's the same blackout day.

City of Miami said:
1348776068[/url]' post='396430']There must be some oddity in the Arrow reservation system about busses.

If ask for destination Emeryville, Arrow says I have to get off in Sacramento (like you) and wait 2 hours for a Capital Corridor to go on to EMY even though the train I was on (#6) terminates in EMY. If I ask for destination San Francisco all is well, no problem, no getting off in SAC. However, I cannot do that because this is AGR and that day (12/27)is a black out date and I can't transfer to the bus or anything else. Can they sell me the bus coupon? NO. It flummoxes the whole trip because the 9:10 pm arrival on the Corridor is too late to get the Merry Go Round to the McArthur BART to get into San Francisco and then it will probably be after 11 pm and I miss the last bus to the neighborhood I want - and it's a long uphill walk.

I wonder if the SCA would allow me to stay on the train? I guess I'll call back AGR in a day or so and try another agent but I'm not really hopeful.

I would think the wait and transfer to the Cap Corr would nix the whole thing anyway because it's the same blackout day.
I've run into goofy oddities with Arrow and trains going to the Bay Area as well - when I went to book from San Diego to San Francisco, many of the San Joaquin trains were missing as options. Instead, most of the options involved a bus from SBA to SFC, with only a couple via Bakersfield. However, if I searched for SAN-EMY or LAX-SFC instead of SAN-SFC, the missing connection options appeared. When I booked using AGR points, I eventually told them to break it into two segments to get the trip I wanted via BFD - it would have been 3000 points anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back