Galveston RR Museum

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now with 2 majaor hurricanes in just over 100 years I would think Ike should be the final lesson that entire coastal region needs to be abandoned and allowed to revert back to natural wetlands.

Hopefully much from there can be salvaged and moved to other museums. However I imagine moving the engines and cars off the island and onto usable rail will be a nightmare.

Hopefully much from there can be salvaged and moved to other museums. However I imagine moving the engines and cars off the island and onto usable rail will be a nightmare.
Unless BNSF and UP both decide to abandon their tracks on the island, they will have rail at their door when the restoration is done. See no reason for Galveston to shut up shop, either. Maybe reconsider what and how they build and be sure to keep the climate and weather realities in mind. If it was once every 10 years or so, maybe then they should consider picking up the city and moving. But once a 100?

Now with 2 majaor hurricanes in just over 100 years I would think Ike should be the final lesson that entire coastal region needs to be abandoned and allowed to revert back to natural wetlands.
So California should just pack it up and move because of earthquakes? And New York could just as easily be hit by a hurricane; should they leave, too?

So California should just pack it up and move because of earthquakes? And New York could just as easily be hit by a hurricane; should they leave, too?
Don't move to the midwest, it could be worse than California for "the big one".

New Madrid quake.

Now with 2 major hurricanes in just over 100 years I would think Ike should be the final lesson that entire coastal region needs to be abandoned and allowed to revert back to natural wetlands.
Don't move to the Midwest, it could be worse than California for "the big one".

New Madrid quake.
Yep - we've felt some from that one over the years, even in central Kentucky!

Back