Galveston?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njulian

Service Attendant
It looks like the Sunset Limited has a bus connection from Houston to Galveston and a station is listed for Galveston, but the AMTRAK site won't ever show me how to get there and the paper timetable I have shows a bus from Galveston TO Houston but not the other way around. How do I get there? (I'm sure this is a stupid question, but there you have it)

According to the Texas Eagle timetable, the stops at Houston only receive passengers when travelling northbound and only discharge when travelling southbound. The connection to Galveston is via Longview, and must be booked with a train. (It looks like you can only connect FROM 21, and TO 22.)

Greyhound service is available.

The greyhound runs twice a day to/from galveston and goes downtown houston, from there you can take cab, etc.

The best and almost the only way to get to Galveston is to rent a car and drive there. You don't say if you are coming into houston on #1 or #2. If you are arriving on the eastbound early train there is a Greyhound departing at 7:45am for Galveston(and a 5:55pm departure). If you are coming from New Orleans late at night there is nothing until the next morning as above. Coming back there is a 9am bus and a 7:10pm bus that would connect with the westbound Sunset. No connection eastbound. Goodluck.

The best and almost the only way to get to Galveston is to rent a car and drive there. You don't say if you are coming into houston on #1 or #2. If you are arriving on the eastbound early train there is a Greyhound departing at 7:45am for Galveston(and a 5:55pm departure). If you are coming from New Orleans late at night there is nothing until the next morning as above. Coming back there is a 9am bus and a 7:10pm bus that would connect with the westbound Sunset. No connection eastbound. Goodluck.
On a related question, is it difficult to get from the Amtrak station to the Greyhound terminal, and is there a reasonable bus service in the area of the Amtrak station to go downtown?

It is entirely possible to get from the Houston Amtrak Station on a Houston transit bus.

But you would need to get an eastbound bus on Washington ave. (where the Amtrak station is), take it a few blocks, then transfer to a southbound bus to the greyhound station.

However, I would never do this. It wouldn't be real easy if you have a lot of luggage.

Also, the Amtrak station in Houston is in a not-so-good area of downtown,

and I wouldn't want to be walking around there even in daylight.

Taxis are abundant in Houston, so I would recommend just taking a taxi to the Greyhound station.

I have done that several times. The taxi ride is about $6 or $7.

Also, I just looked on Amtrak's site, and there is connecting service via motorcoach in both directions into Galveston at Longview.

However, it is very difficult to get around Galveston if you don't have a car there. There is some public transportation, but having a car would be preferrable.

From Houston, it's an easy drive to Galveston, less than an hour.

'Hope some of this helps.

David

:cool:

The greyhound runs twice a day to/from galveston and goes downtown houston, from there you can take cab, etc.
The Greyhound station is across downtown from Amtrak. Amtrak is almost under a freeway overpass and some sketchy areas (from when I lived in Houston 1965 - 1994) until you get in an ok area. The bus station is always surrounded by some very interesting characters day and night so becareful. Cabs are your best bet. I don't know anything about the Greyhound station in Galveston.

I am surprised that there is no regional bus service other than the two mentioned Greyhound schedules. I would think that there would be a need for more.

I tried Google search and there were listings of various fairly costly limo type shuttles, primarily geared for Houston airport to Galveston cruise ship terminal, etc.

It is entirely possible to get from the Houston Amtrak Station on a Houston transit bus.

But you would need to get an eastbound bus on Washington ave. (where the Amtrak station is), take it a few blocks, then transfer to a southbound bus to the greyhound station.

However, I would never do this. It wouldn't be real easy if you have a lot of luggage.

Also, the Amtrak station in Houston is in a not-so-good area of downtown,

and I wouldn't want to be walking around there even in daylight.

Taxis are abundant in Houston, so I would recommend just taking a taxi to the Greyhound station.

I have done that several times. The taxi ride is about $6 or $7.

Also, I just looked on Amtrak's site, and there is connecting service via motorcoach in both directions into Galveston at Longview.

However, it is very difficult to get around Galveston if you don't have a car there. There is some public transportation, but having a car would be preferrable.

From Houston, it's an easy drive to Galveston, less than an hour.

'Hope some of this helps.

David

:cool:

OK, thanks, that makes sense.

When doing this type of trip, I normally see it as part of the challenge to try and use public transportation as much as possible, not to save money or be quick or anything but just for the sake of having used public transportation all the way.

But I guess there are cases where I have to make an exception.

When doing this type of trip, I normally see it as part of the challenge to try and use public transportation as much as possible, not to save money or be quick or anything but just for the sake of having used public transportation all the way.
I wouldn't give up just yet. AU can sometimes exhibit a bit of a tenderfoot attitude that doesn't necessarily match up with what's really possible, especially if you're the independently efficient and resourceful type. You might be able to swing this trip without a car and you'd have a much more interesting trip report to post afterward. Once you blaze the trail perhaps others will come across your report and follow in your footsteps.

On a related question, is it difficult to get from the Amtrak station to the Greyhound terminal, and is there a reasonable bus service in the area of the Amtrak station to go downtown?

err, kind of, downtown is not that far away (5-10 min walking) but you have to walk under a freeway and it is not exactly an area I would recommend walking to at night. but once you get into downtown it is a short ride on the light rail.

I would still recommend though getting a cab and paying 5-6 dollars

Thanks for all your replies. My plan is to take a cruise that originates from Galveston. Train 2 arrives in Houston at 4:40 am, so was hopeful there was some connection. Texas Eagle has a connection to Galveston? So, would it work to get on the Texas Eagle and then transfer to Galveston? This sounds like alot of "you can't get there from here". Then, of course, I'd have to do the whole thing in reverse coming back. Is it possible to rent a car from the Houston AMTRAK station, drive to Galveston and drop off then rent another car for the return trip? When I originally thought of this I thought it'd be easy! :/

Thanks for all your replies. My plan is to take a cruise that originates from Galveston. Train 2 arrives in Houston at 4:40 am, so was hopeful there was some connection. Texas Eagle has a connection to Galveston? So, would it work to get on the Texas Eagle and then transfer to Galveston? This sounds like alot of "you can't get there from here". Then, of course, I'd have to do the whole thing in reverse coming back. Is it possible to rent a car from the Houston AMTRAK station, drive to Galveston and drop off then rent another car for the return trip? When I originally thought of this I thought it'd be easy! :/
Julian, as I told you earlier, there are only two Greyhound buses to Galveston daily. If you take the Eagle/bus connection to Houston, however, that may work and they let you off at the railroad museum curbside only which is only one block from the cruise ship terminal. If you are totally against renting a car, then try the Eagle connection as it is a dedicated Amtrak bus. They do require a 24 hour notice for a pick up in Galveston. If you are coming in on the 4:40am train the take a cab to the Greyhound bus depot in Houston and get on the 7:45am bus to Galveston. It arrives at 8:50am. Unfortunately the Greyhound bus terminal in Galveston is at 3825 Broadway which is nowhere near the cruise terminal which means you would have to take another cab in Galveston. The Greyound bus terminal in Galveston is a Valero gas station. Galveston is a tourist city now with few if any services that cater to people with no car. It is actually close to a ghost town except for the Strand area and the beaches. Galveston's public transit is skanky at best. It has some nice historic sites and some beautiful old 1900's era houses. But most of them are second homes owned by people from Houston who are only there on weekends. The Strand has some interesting shops and there are plenty of good places to eat seafood.

You can try a rent car company like Enterprise that will come and pick you up. If you explain what you want to do they can probably make you a nice deal that may actually be cheaper than Greyhound plus taxis. Enterprise has a location at 2101 Travis which is downtown. They also have a location in Galveston on Broadway. They have a web site so just search it and give them a call. A worst case scenario is you rent the car for a week, which for an economy car is around $150 and just park it at the cruise ship terminal and then pick it up and return to Houston and get on your train back to where ever you are going. Pay attention to the hours the rent car places are open. Save all your receipts, particularly if they give you a special deal. The advantage to renting is you can do a little site seeing in Galveston and Houston.

You can do what you want to do. Just do some on line research and decide which way you want to go. Have a great trip.

Julian, as I told you earlier, there are only two Greyhound buses to Galveston daily. If you take the Eagle/bus connection to Houston, however, that may work and they let you off at the railroad museum curbside only which is only one block from the cruise ship terminal. If you are totally against renting a car, then try the Eagle connection as it is a dedicated Amtrak bus. They do require a 24 hour notice for a pick up in Galveston. If you are coming in on the 4:40am train the take a cab to the Greyhound bus depot in Houston and get on the 7:45am bus to Galveston. It arrives at 8:50am. Unfortunately the Greyhound bus terminal in Galveston is at 3825 Broadway which is nowhere near the cruise terminal which means you would have to take another cab in Galveston. The Greyound bus terminal in Galveston is a Valero gas station. Galveston is a tourist city now with few if any services that cater to people with no car. It is actually close to a ghost town except for the Strand area and the beaches. Galveston's public transit is skanky at best. It has some nice historic sites and some beautiful old 1900's era houses. But most of them are second homes owned by people from Houston who are only there on weekends. The Strand has some interesting shops and there are plenty of good places to eat seafood.

You can try a rent car company like Enterprise that will come and pick you up. If you explain what you want to do they can probably make you a nice deal that may actually be cheaper than Greyhound plus taxis. Enterprise has a location at 2101 Travis which is downtown. They also have a location in Galveston on Broadway. They have a web site so just search it and give them a call. A worst case scenario is you rent the car for a week, which for an economy car is around $150 and just park it at the cruise ship terminal and then pick it up and return to Houston and get on your train back to where ever you are going. Pay attention to the hours the rent car places are open. Save all your receipts, particularly if they give you a special deal. The advantage to renting is you can do a little site seeing in Galveston and Houston.

You can do what you want to do. Just do some on line research and decide which way you want to go. Have a great trip.
Yes, the car rental idea sounds the best. Only issue is how early arrival is in Houston. I think it's much simpler to depart from LA for a cruise, but that side of Mexico is not doing so well to say the least. Hate to fly, so leaving out of Florida for Caribbean is not as attractive. Again, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back