GE Dash 8-32BWH (P32-WH) Rebuilds

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So it sounds like the 8-32 are "Multi-Purpose" spares. They are used in the yard for switching, but can be pressed into service if one of the Genesis goes out of service. I say much better use than just sitting around like this:

IMG_0646 by seat38a, on Flickr

So it sounds like the 8-32 are "Multi-Purpose" spares. They are used in the yard for switching, but can be pressed into service if one of the Genesis goes out of service. I say much better use than just sitting around like this:

How long ago was that photo taken? When I was in SAN two days ago, #459 was idling away in that exact state: as a protect engine.

How long ago was that photo taken? When I was in SAN two days ago, #459 was idling away in that exact state: as a protect engine.
This was from last year. Since taking this picture, the engine has been pressed into service many times.

My very first Long Distance trip waaaaaaay back in 1993 was aboard #14 from San Jose to Seattle. I don't have any idea what the road numbers, but BOTH of the locomotives pulling our train were GE Dash-8's in original Pepsi Can livery. They were practically brand new then!

We also had Budd Hi-Liner ex-Santa Fe coaches with dump toilets. Never a dull moment as a kid with my brother playing lookout waiting for a crossing to flush a bowl full of toilet paper in hopes it would land in the middle of the road. :giggle:

These have a top speed lower than most of the road locomotives
No they don't. AMT-3, 9.2.3 Eng 500-519 max speed 100 mph.
Yes, that's lower than most of the road locomotives. The P42s and P40 rebuilds have a top speed of 110. This only matters on the Keystone, Empire, and Michigan corridors, or when running diesels on the NEC.

If given the choice of having a P-32 trailing or just having one engine, nearly everyone will take the P-32 trailing. Using them as switchers isn't ideal, but it does provide for good standby power in case an engine dies and can't be sent out right away. In outlying areas needing switchers (New Orleans, Miami, Sanford, Portland), the P-32s make much better switchers than a P-40 or P-42 since they have footboards a Conductor can ride and platforms to direct backup movements.

110mph (on paper anyway) so what he stated is correct.
!00 mph vs 110 mph...seriously? Okay you got me, relegate them to the yards since they are dragging the thoroughbreds down.

!00 mph vs 110 mph...seriously? Okay you got me, relegate them to the yards since they are dragging the thoroughbreds down.
As I said before: This only matters on the Keystone, Empire, and Michigan corridors, or when running diesels on the NEC. In those places, it does matter.

Video of freshly overhauled GE P32-8WH 512 calling at Tyrone, PA with Pennsylvanian Train 43, this time, with Viewliner II Baggage Car 61006 (3/22/15). Wicked K5LA XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back