Getting to Drury Inn New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kentuckian1977

Service Attendant
I'm going to be staying two nights at the Drury Inn on Poydras at Carondelet in New Orleans next month in the middle of a CONO roundtrip. Would you guys recommend walking or cabbing it from the station to that hotel, assuming the weather isn't rainy? I've looked at it on google maps, and the walk looks do-able by going up Loyola to Poydras and then down Poydras to the hotel. I will only have one 25" wheeled carry on and a small duffle with me in the way of luggage, so I'm considering just walking it.

I have walked and used a cab, depending on which train I'm arriving or departing on, i.e., the time of day. After the LA Gathering, Bill H and I walked both ways, IIRC.

You should do fine walking to the Drury.

Enjoy your trip !

Mike

I have walked and used a cab, depending on which train I'm arriving or departing on, i.e., the time of day. After the LA Gathering, Bill H and I walked both ways, IIRC.

You should do fine walking to the Drury.

Enjoy your trip !

Mike
Thanks Mike, I figure I'll walk it then, since I'll be arriving and departing in broad daylight. Since you've stayed there before, another question. Am I correct that the St. Charles streetcar that runs on Carondelet right by the Drury only runs "inbound" toward Canal, and the "outbound" one back runs on St. Charles (still only a block from the Drury.) That will be very handy in terms of getting two and from the Quarter, Riverfront, etc. Where can I buy a daypass for the streetcars?

My son and I walked to the Drury Inn from the train station in New Orleans with bags in tow. It was fine. The Drury is a great place to stay!

Thanks Mike, I figure I'll walk it then, since I'll be arriving and departing in broad daylight. Since you've stayed there before, another question. Am I correct that the St. Charles streetcar that runs on Carondelet right by the Drury only runs "inbound" toward Canal, and the "outbound" one back runs on St. Charles (still only a block from the Drury.) That will be very handy in terms of getting two and from the Quarter, Riverfront, etc. Where can I buy a daypass for the streetcars?
Yes, you are correct about the Streetcar. The route begins and ends at the corner of Carondelet and Canal, so if you board at the Drury intending to travel out on St Charles, you may have to pay another fare. Obviously the day pass would take care of this problem. I believe you can purchase the day pass onboard.

The St Charles line is a very pleasant trip, as is the Canal Line out to the cemetaries. The riverfront line is OK, too, just a shorter trip.

Mike

I recently stayed at the Pere Marquette on Common Street, which is a couple of blocks further away. I arrived at 10pm on a late Crescent, so I took a cab, but since I was leaving in daylight on the CONO, I walked with my tote bag and roller suitcase. It was a nice day and a nice walk (and it was nice not to pay a cab fare :lol: )

Walk! After a night aboard the train it's a refreshing stroll to the Drury. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back