GG-1 Last Run Podcast

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
Part of a blog by an east coast P.R. guy, he departs from his usual topics with this podcast interview of reminiscence with the author of an article about the GG-1 electric locomotive that appeared in Trains magazine in 1981, which is interspersed with GG-1 sounds and the reading of train orders during a New Jersey Transit GG-1's final run in October, 1983. It's long - 42+ minutes - but pretty interesting.

A reminiscence of the GG-1 Locomotive

While introducing the GG-1 interview the guy mentions a "lost" video made in 1974 by Penn Central, posted in an earlier blog edition:

"This is the movie commissioned by the Penn Central Railroad bankruptcy trustees to try to convince members of Congress that the railroad desperately needed a cash infusion or some other federal intervention if the railroad were to survive."

Penn Central 1974 - The Movie

It's pretty dire (also long).

Interesting stuff,guess Eric really enjoyed it!If Amtrak wants to convince Congress they need money for cars/repair they can make one of these movies,I have a cantidate for the line to use so the cars rock and roll and eventually derail without faking it,the old SP tracks between SAS and HOS!!Thanks Patrick!

Interesting stuff,guess Eric really enjoyed it!If Amtrak wants to convince Congress they need money for cars/repair they can make one of these movies,I have a cantidate for the line to use so the cars rock and roll and eventually derail without faking it,the old SP tracks between SAS and HOS!!Thanks Patrick!
That movie was soooo interesting. The "voice of doom" for the PC......"We just don't have the money"..........."We don't have the funds to upgrade"............."Since we are bankrupt we don't have access to capital............"

Dated and old yes, but I guess I like that kinda sh** now.............

Some of those cars in those old yards looked like bucking broncos............

Back