gifting points between family members

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amtrak George

Lead Service Attendant
I have been a Guest Rewards member for a while, and my wife just joined. I already bought my limit of points this year, but she has not. She has received a promotional offer for 30% extra points if bought by the end of April.

I know that if she transfers points to me that she has earned, there is a small fee.

However, if she decides to buy the points for me as a gift (and designates it as such at time of purchase) does this avoid the transfer fee?

Thanks, Amtrak George

Since you've already bought your allotment of the points for the year, she is unable to purchase them for you.

The 10,000 point limit is for all purchased points, regardless of who pays.

Sayeth the T&C's:

Amtrak Guest Rewards Buy/Gift Points can be purchased in increments of 500 points, and each Member may buy or receive up to a total of 10,000 points in a calendar year. Select Executive Members are not subject to limits on the number of points they may Buy/Gift/Share.

She can buy them for her own account though. And then when an award is accumulated, she can then redeem them from that account. If both of you are traveling, then both names can be on the award. If you are traveling, the award can be redeemed from her account in your name! (An award can be redeemed for any person.)

This way, there would be no transfer fee!

Back