Giordano's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sign me up for one. As a weight conscious diabetic, can you assure me it's low-cal? :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
can you assure me it's low-cal? :giggle:

Yes, I can testify under oath to it!
smile.gif

I NEVER count calories, so it always comes up as -0-, or low-cal!
mosking.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

We had this for the first time 3 years ago when I met up with a long lost cousin of mine. We couldn't finish it! Good thing we walked most of the time after we got done eating it!!

If I'm in Chicago and traveling coach back home, I almost always eat before boarding the CZ and since I don't have anywhere to bring the leftovers, I usually hand them to one of the many homeless on Chicago's streets.

Just for kicks we ought to turn all Au'ers loose at the next gathering at Union Station with the stipulation that they can only eat pizza. I'd almost bet everyone would turn up at Giordano's. :cool:

Enroute to Gathering IV, approximately 15 AU'ers met at the Metro Lounge and ate

Giordano's pizza for lunch. It was well received by all. A few did drink a diet soda!!

A few of us will be transiting in Chicago enroute to Seattle, so perhaps another Giordano's

lunch is in order.

Enroute to Gathering IV, approximately 15 AU'ers met at the Metro Lounge and ate

Giordano's pizza for lunch. It was well received by all. A few did drink a diet soda!!

A few of us will be transiting in Chicago enroute to Seattle, so perhaps another Giordano's

lunch is in order.
Dick: Guess Penny will have to go to Whole Paycheck again to eat! :lol: Ya'll should find a Joint that serves food she can eat! (I'm in the there are better Pizza Joints in CHI Club but you can't beat the Convience of G's!!)

When in Chicago I often go to Pizzeria Uno. It's become a small chain, but the original location on Ohio street doesn't act or feel like one. I'll have to sample this Giordano's next time I'm there.

Nothing in Chicago beats a Maxwell Street Polish with extra grilled onions and mustard. Any of you regular Chicago fokes know if there is a place to get them near Union Station ?

Nothing in Chicago beats a Maxwell Street Polish with extra grilled onions and mustard. Any of you regular Chicago fokes know if there is a place to get them near Union Station ?
Your best bet will be Gold Coast Dogs in the CUS Food Court. They have a Polish on the menu-while it may not be quite the same as getting one on Maxwell Street, it will save a lot of wandering around.

lunch is in order.
Dick: Guess Penny will have to go to Whole Paycheck again to eat! :lol: Ya'll should find a Joint that serves food she can eat! (I'm in the there are better Pizza Joints in CHI Club but you can't beat the Convience of G's!!)
Jim - I guess you know my dietary quirks. Last year while most everyone was eating Giordano's pizza in the lounge, I was eating my Whole Foods yogurt and banana. Even though Whole Foods is expensive for a grocery store, I would be willing to bet that my lunch cost less money than the lunch of those who ate pizza. (My guess is that my waistline is smaller than most of the AU members who ate pizza :lol: - but that is not really a fair comparison since I am much shorter than the general public)

I stopped at a Giordano's during a layover in Chicago last year. Best deep dish I've ever had. Too bad my roomette didn't have a mini fridge for leftovers!

26474uf.jpg

Your best bet will be Gold Coast Dogs in the CUS Food Court. They have a Polish on the menu-while it may not be quite the same as getting one on Maxwell Street, it will save a lot of wandering around.
Al's Beef (601 W. Adams) is a couple of blocks west of Union Station. It has an excellent Maxwell Street polish.

A bit of an off-topic question:

What, if anything specific, caused Giordano's to go bankrupt?
The owners were also real estate investors and bad investments took the whole operation down. The pizza operation is likely to emerge from bankruptcy though.

Likely the profits from the restaurant biz helped them get into the real estate market and they want to protect that source of cash. Who knows but lets hope the pizza side of the house survives.

When in Chicago I often go to Pizzeria Uno. It's become a small chain, but the original location on Ohio street doesn't act or feel like one. I'll have to sample this Giordano's next time I'm there.
I've had both and ate a Giordano's in Oakbrook Terrace last week. It's AMAZING deep dish pizza!

So which would be the better way to spend a layover in Chicago (train 29 to train 3, assuming they run on time, and we have about 5 hours) -

1) walk around downtown, eat lunch at Giordano's, and maybe tour the Sears Tower, or

2) Take a bus to the museum campus and see the Field Museum or the Shedd Aquarium?

Option 2 sounds like more fun (I love aquariums), but option 1 has the better lunch.

So which would be the better way to spend a layover in Chicago (train 29 to train 3, assuming they run on time, and we have about 5 hours) -

1) walk around downtown, eat lunch at Giordano's, and maybe tour the Sears Tower, or

2) Take a bus to the museum campus and see the Field Museum or the Shedd Aquarium?

Option 2 sounds like more fun (I love aquariums), but option 1 has the better lunch.

Me.....I would do option 2 and eat at Gold Coast Dogs in the CUS food court.

I don't think 5 hours will do the musuems justice. I have found that it feels like I'm running through them if I don't set aside most of the day. Remember, you also have "time in transit" to both places eating up the time. I would go with #1.

I followed the deep, savory trail of hype to Giordano's, the last time I was in that city. For me, their pizza was disgusting. The crust rolled up to form a bowl, filled with at least an inch of cheese, making a pie as thick and gooey as a quiche. Sorry, guys, but not everybody's that into cheese! My tastes tend towards NY pizza styles. A pizza I enjoyed in Delaware last week had a crisp crust, a sweetened tomato sauce, ample toppings and remarkably little cheese, less than a quarter-inch of it. Yummmmm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back