Go West Young Man - Auto Train - Booking Roomette during travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PPorro

Train Attendant
That covers it? :mellow:

Here's the plot, I'm trying to plan a trip where I go West, (whether that be Texas or Utah or Nevada) and buy a car to drive back to Wisconsin. The idea is rust free, unsalted, it should last another ten years. I was going to train out, drive back, but then I realized it would be just as much fun and relaxing to ride out, bring the car back on a train, and not drive any long stretches in a unknown used car.

I requested the Auto Train literature from Amtrak and got some schedules and guides and I'm still clueless. (all my fault)

1) Where can I find a list of cities served by auto trains?

Last long distance train trip I took was from Milwaukee to Buffalo about 1988. (In the Winter) I had a blanket and pillow. The train rocked and rolled and jumped at crossings, it was kind of like trying to sleep on a carnival ride. I'm hoping things have changed? Do some people normally sleep in standard seats on overnight rail trips, or am I imagining the impossible. It would save a bundle of money.

But lets say, that cost saving plan doesn't work and I decide to book a roomette at the last minute.

2) Can that be done, while already on board? Also I see the layout of the cars, and I want a roomette facing West in the morning, when I'm traveling South. Facing North roomette while traveling West, so the Sun is behind me for taking photos. How do I know if the car is on the train, with which end facing forward? Or is that random? Thus, look at the train direction and add the roomette, depending on which side it's on, after seeing the actual alignment.

3) Is there WiFi on the train? (I'm told no) If not, why not? Seems like something simple enough to attract people and if I'm going to be one or two days on a train, shouldn't a laptop connection make sense? I'm told yes in Europe, and yes on some East Coast commuters, not on cross country travel. Amtrak can't afford one connection and a router, per train?

Anything else I should know, that I'm forgetting for ride West, drive home or the alternate plan, drive back to a station served by auto train and ride home in comfort, relaxing the whole way. :cool:

The Auto Train runs between Lorton, VA (Washington area) and Sanford, FL (Orlando area) only, which doesn't sound like it fits very well with your travel plans.

That being the case, are you still interested in information about Amtrak travel?

The Auto Train only runs from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL.

Sorry, you're going to have to drive the car back (or buy it in Florida).

But to answer the rest of your questions:

Yes, you can upgrade to a roomette onboard, if one is available and the conductor is willing to do the paperwork.

No, there is no way of knowing which way a car will be inserted into a consist, so if you book in advance, no guarantees on which way you'll be facing.

Wifi is slowly being rolled out. That said, it sucks. You need a cellular data signal to get the data onto the train, and trains go through places without any cellular data available. Even when you do have a cellular data connection, it's S....L....O....W. Now imagine you and 50 of your closest friends trying to share that slow connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
One quick note about WiFi....

We just returned from a nice Amtrak trip with our family. On one afternoon in the Sightseer car, I could hardly open my laptop to check email. It was painful. On one hand - out there was America - through the perfectly designed, wide open canopy of glass provided by the Sightseer Lounge Car ( note: Sightseer car is a 2 level car with loads of giant windows and comfortable lounge style seats on the upper level - like a dome car).... yet there was my laptop staring me in the face - with a full "inbox" - thanks to my handy Verizon WiFi card, which was plugged directly into the laptop.

After about 5 or 10 dismal minutes of email, I was quickly back to my family, my wine glass with chilled California Chardonnay - and the high vantage view of the countryside of mid-America, as seen from the upper level of the Sightseer Car. The discussion that afternoon ranged from the menu of our next meal, to one of our fellow passengers future career choices - regarding a move he may make to New Orleans with his family, as well as our discussing the homes and people we we seeing along the route of the rails...

At a moment like that - WiFi seems a bit overrated.

The Auto Train runs between Lorton, VA (Washington area) and Sanford, FL (Orlando area) only, which doesn't sound like it fits very well with your travel plans.

That being the case, are you still interested in information about Amtrak travel?
Of course, that was the plan to start with. Train out, drive home. But when I saw the discussions about auto trains, I thought, I could enjoy the ride twice as much.

I've been reading schedules online since last year. Now I see that the day of the week makes a difference in price. Looks like weekends are more expensive. Fine with me, I'll take the cheap seats. Still learning about the "bucket" prices and I haven't picked up on how to find those and get them in advance. Still reading the forum and learning. It's one of those things that it appears everyone knows, except me and I didn't see an FAQ about it, so I was just taking mental notes and putting together booking tips. I have a referral for the AGR. I found a short trip to activate that's $18 round trip.

Good to know that if I can't sleep, I can "get a room"...

Traveling alone and writing home is a good reason for Internet. I suspected that getting a dongle or some USB internet card, will be the answer. Just whining that Amtrak is about ten years out of date. I have a cell phone, it makes phone calls, so I shouldn't talk. Only reason I had to upgrade to a flip phone (from Target for $29) was it was cheaper for a new phone than get a new battery for the one I had that was about five years old. :mellow:

If I'm going to ship the car by truck, I don't need to go at all, I can have it trucked from the seller. That spoils the fun of the train ride. LOL

I left off Texarkana and Oklahoma City as options, but along with Elko NV they are on the search list. That list was based upon places that I could go by rail. Planes bore me. More time on the ground than in the air. Hidden charges and fees, including having my car held hostage while I park it at the airport. By the time I pack a camera and lenses, laptop, I'm running out of carry on allowances.

Long trips (aw heck, all trips) for at least four years, I've been driving. One reason why I need a newer car? Gas round trip, plus some minor local travel, 61,65 Gal. Milwaukee to Atlanta and back. Roughly $250 round trip, with the quart of oil. About the same as coach one way on the train. Another thing that bugs me, or I would have taken the train at least once. Route options, go to New Orleans or Washington DC, or with a six hour layover, Charlottesville, VA. Hey, is there something wrong with going straight down to one of the largest cities in the country?

But when I go, I'll be packing a camera, trying to see out the back window, side windows, and ready to take photos the whole way.

More than anything, I'll keep reading here, learning and looking forward to the trip. Might not be until Oct. so I'm not rushing into anything.

PPoro,

You may want to check out this website Amsnag which will help you find those low buckets. You will need to know your station codes and you can plug in a couple of weeks at a time and it will help you find those low bucket seats.

If you do go in coach, I recommend eye mask, ear plugs, and blanket for sleeping.

Hope you have a great trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back