Going back in time

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warbonnet

Service Attendant
I was over the border yesterday in Nogales, Mexico on business as meny US companies operate manufacturing facilities there. During the taxi cab ride from the international border crossing, (no, I won't drive my car down there) We passed a large railroad yard. Talk about going back to 1965!! Here, in use were old, and very dirty F7's, A and B units, old freight cars, and a string of single level passenger cars with an actual dome car! I could hardly believe it. Frankly, I don't think this equipment would ever be allowed on rails in this country due to safty issues, but it was good to see where the old stuff goes. Not everything was scrapped when retired from U.S. railroads.

Wb

Warbonnet, yes, a fair amount of equipment from the U.S. was sold to the National Railways of Mexico, some years back. Even some equipment from from the 20th Century Limited went to Mexico.

If you are seriously interested, I have books, dated about 1980 or so, which show the disposition of every pre-Amtrak streamlined passenger car in the U..S up to that time. . If you are interested, I will be glad l to supply you with the names and authors. I have no idea of if the books are still in print.

On the whole subject of disposition of passenger cars, these are some of the possibilities, 1. scrap metal, 2. sold to Mexico, 3. sold to operators of excursion railroads, steam engine excursions, dinner trains, etc 4. sold to museums(whether railroad museums or otherwise) or such display purposes 5, used as work cars for track layers andsuch, 6. the better ones sold to Amtrak, 6. sold to Canada(a few) .7.sold to private collectors as private cars or whaever,8.sold to commuter railroads (massively stripped down of amenities, of course),9,a few to the state of Alaska and no doubt there are other dispositions which I do not now remember or never knew.

Of course, before Amtrak came into existence, quite a few cars were sold around from one railroad(in the U.S.) to another, through the years. the whole subject is quite fascinating.

The books I have only date it up to a certain point. no telling what may have happened more recently with some of them.

Bill,

Thanks for the offer regarding the books on the equipment liquidations. I probably would not find the time to read them, but sincerely appreciate the offer. I do agree it is interesting to research the history of some of these pieces. I find it amazing they are able to find parts to keep some of these old locomotives in service. I understand there is an effort underway to recover 2 ALCO locomotives, originally form the ATSF fleet, found in Mexico for restoration. Once these items are lost, they are usually gone forever.

Wb

Did you (or could you in the future) get an ID of some sort on that dome car? Here's a link to the domes that are/have been in Mexico....http://trainweb.org/web_lurker/CarsinMexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back