Good Morning America

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the link -- the series certainly seems interesting. Can't wait to see which train they'll be catching to Hawaii!

Anyone notice they call it Grand Central Station when it is Grand Central Terminal. And, Amtrak doesn't even go there????

Thank you for the link -- the series certainly seems interesting. Can't wait to see which train they'll be catching to Hawaii!
Also Mahalo for the link but I noticed that the are not planning to have the train in all 50 states, think I remember they would have 4 reports from each of 7 state stops, that equals 48 reports, now which states are they going to ignore Only one guess allowed :rolleyes: Another example of the "lower 48" :unsure:

The train (as I have heard) is going to consist of P42s 75-76, the cab-antenna, 6 superliners, and 2 pv's. Yesterday, P32 716 and MN 204 (GCT-Harmon) operated a train of 3 pv's from GCT to Albany, with stops at Yonkers and Harmon. Next week I will be tooned in for ever news broadcast on ABC for they'll all be on the train :) .

cpamtfan-Peter

Aloha

I am very annoyed with ABC over the "Whistle-Stop Train ". Depending on who, and which story they say Hawaii is included. As of a few minutes ago the local station has not been contacted and "knows nothing" about the "Good Morning America" show that they carry.

Seems to me this is irresponsible broadcasting.

Aloha

I sent a question to "Good Morning America" asking When and How Hawaii was to be included in the "Whistle Stop Tour". The Answer received quoted below instructed me do do what I had already done, but nothing about answering my question "how and When are Hawaii, to be included? But maybe I am stupid and the answer is there but I cant see it. :unsure:

As you can imagine, we receive thousands of messages a day from our viewers and while we appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback regarding our programming, we are not able to respond to each one directly.
We encourage you to continue to communicate with us!

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CHANGING TO DIGITAL TELEVISION:

Television as we know it is about to change! Are YOU ready?

By law, full-power television stations nationwide must switch from traditional analog transmitting to digital television (DTV) on February 17, 2009.

DTV is an innovative new type of broadcasting technology that delivers movie-quality pictures and sound, more channels, and even high definition television (HDTV) to consumers with HD television sets. While the benefits of DTV are remarkable, millions of households risk losing television reception unless they take the easy steps to receive a digital signal.

If you receive over-the-air television signals through antennas on television sets that are equipped with analog tuners – and if you do not subscribe to cable, satellite or a telephone company television service provider – you will be affected by the transition.

Learn how to prepare for DTV by visiting www.DTVAnswers.com or by calling 1-888-DTV-2009.

ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS:

-- Many of your questions can be answered on the ABCNews.com website:

Go to ABCNews.com

Go to the top blue bar and click on the name of the news program.

OR

-- You can send your questions and comments to ABCNews.com:

Go to ABCNews.com

Go to the bottom of the screen and click on “Contact Us”

OR

--You can search

Go to ABCNews.com

Go to the SEARCH box at the top of the page.

Type in a few keywords

Click GO

For any other questions, please contact ABC Member Services directly at the following address:

[email protected]

HOW TO PURCHASE VIDEOTAPES, DVDs AND TRANSCRIPTS:

You can purchase a DVD, videotape or written transcript of an ABC news program using this information:

Good Morning America

• Video/DVD: Call 1-800-505-6139 or go to www.ABCNewsstore.com

• Transcripts: Call 818-848-6500 or go to this website:

http://www.transcripts.tv/Welcome.aspx?NetworkID=7

World News With Charles Gibson, World News – Saturday/Sunday

• Video/DVD: Not available

20/20, Primetime, Nightline and ABC News Specials:

• Video/DVD: Call 1-800-505-6139 or go to www.ABCNewsstore.com

You will need to provide the name of the program as well as the date the show aired.

FOR INFORMATION ON ADDITIONAL ABC NEWS ARCHIVE VIDEOS GO TO:

www.amazon.com/abcnews

Again, thank you for contacting ABC News.

Note: The Company’s long-established policy does not allow us to accept for review or consideration any ideas, suggestions, or creative materials not solicited by us or our subsidiaries. Therefore, in the event that you have submitted such content, please be advised that the submission has been forwarded to the Company’s legal department for handling.

This email has been sent to you from an outbound email account that will not accept inbound mail. Therefore, please do not respond to this email.

Aloha

To update: I re sent the same question again as the previous quoted message said, and received a duplicate to the quoted message.

I then called for a third time to the local affiliate whose news director called GMA and got this "A schedule has not been set, however a weekend crew will be sent after Sept. 20 and before Nov 4."

I sent a question to "Good Morning America" asking When and How Hawaii was to be included in the "Whistle Stop Tour". The Answer received quoted below instructed me do do what I had already done, but nothing about answering my question "how and When are Hawaii, to be included? But maybe I am stupid and the answer is there but I cant see it. :unsure:
At least they told you how to order a transcript, so that a month or two from now you can order it and find out how Hawai'i was included... :rolleyes:

Or possibly they consider your implication that they should cover Hawai'i to be an unsolicited idea, suggestion, or creative material, and can't address that issue for legal reasons! :unsure:

Or perhaps they're clueless :lol:

Based off the previously linked article, "Good Morning America" posted video on Thursday and Friday, including a "behind-the-scenes" video of the train and the technology behind it.

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=5778232

and

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=5787198

Of course, they didn't discuss how they're going to cover Hawaii, but I doubt they'll do it by train.

The whole endeavor sounds pricey and complicated, especially with the cab-tenna and backup helicopter transmission system. However, it seems more impressive than BBC News' plan to tool around the United States in a bus before the election.

The two private cars are owned by Bennett Levin. Who also owns the PRR E-8's #5711 & 5809. The 120 is the car the JFK rode in to two army-navy games, and RFK's body was taken to Washington in this car. I think the Warrior Ridge is also in the consist. I have been in the 120 before and it's a goregus car. Bennett did a wonderful job restoring the car. I am a personal friend of Bennett. I e-mailed him to see if he will tag along on the trip to guard his equipment. He hasn't e-mailed me back. He told me he rented out the car for a railfaning weekend and people stole vaulable items from his car and was pissed to no end.

Just watched the first installment, and not bad so far. Of course I want more train. Overall a little on the stuntish side, and I surely coulda done without lame-oh James Taylor's cover of lame-oh Glen Campbell's lame-oh "Wichita Lineman!" Nice little segment on Superliner sleepers, though.

I'll keep watching.

Just watched the first installment, and not bad so far. Of course I want more train. Overall a little on the stuntish side, and I surely coulda done without lame-oh James Taylor's cover of lame-oh Glen Campbell's lame-oh "Wichita Lineman!" Nice little segment on Superliner sleepers, though.
I'll keep watching.
Very stuntish- but it's morning TV what do you expect?

I love how they slapped two observation cars together to make into a mobile spin room- and noted how clean the windows were... ABC probably paid off Amtrak's operating costs for the year for this one... Two specific 42's repainted, the whole set thrown together (no coaches I notice, only sleepers, guess it makes sense.) and a completely wild route... Yeah the dispatchers are going to have HELL on their hands trying to get that beast moving across the track with TV execs and political people yelling in both sides of their ear every time a freight delays them...

Not to mention they're going across some line that- last time I checked- wasn't sanctioned for the superliners... Are they going out of their way to avoid tunnels?

And that conductor- anybody know him? They must have paid him a mint to blow that wooden whistle and yell 'all aboard' polite like-

And that conductor- anybody know him? They must have paid him a mint to blow that wooden whistle and yell 'all aboard' polite like-
Actually Lou Drummeter isn't a conductor. He's a sleeping car attendant. His regular route is the Capitol Limited, and he's one of the two best attendants I've ever had (paralleled only by Dan on the Portland sleeper on the Empire Builder), but he's often called on to serve as a special attendant, primarily for official functions on the Beech Grove car, but he's obviously been assigned the GMA deal. What you see on TV is pretty much who Lou is. A heck of a good guy.

Rafi

Not to mention they're going across some line that- last time I checked- wasn't sanctioned for the superliners... Are they going out of their way to avoid tunnels?
The line from Albany to Boston can accommodate Superliners. Back a few years ago, during a station re-dedication at the KIN station, we had Superliners arrive for show. I assume they came via BOS. But now with the line powered up to BOS, that can no longer happen! :(

Ahhh...the memories that GMA brought back today. The train that they showed today started in Lenox, MA where I went to camp for 6 years and prep school for 4 years. The Lenox station was not open in the winter and only made summer stops.(There is a tourist line there that fought for years to get trackage rights from my old camp roommate Peter Lynch.) He played Scrooge for a number of years but I understand he either sold off the Housatonic RR (the NYC yippies couldn't understand why trains suddenly started running in their back yards and kept the lawyers busy for a while) or finally caved in and gave them trackage rights. The Lee station is actually a couple of hundred yards south of Joe's diner. And Stockbridge had probably the longest canopy of any station north of Danbury. I remember Norman Rockwell sitting in the town square in the 50's painting scenes for various magazines such as they showed today. My how time flies. I think I rode one of the last pax trains on the Danbury branch shortly after Alice's Restaurant was filmed in the Lenox-Lee area in the late 60's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back