Good news FYI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKA

OBS Chief
Traveled CL on Sat 17 Sept, CLE - CHI and return. Assigned seating for a group of 7 out of CLE. Conductor ask us how many in our party on the platform and gave us a block of 8 seats togeather. We were a family with preteen kids plus seniors. Worked out great. Crew on 29 was great. Through many delays they kept us informed, telling delays were not the fault of AMTRAK but the host railroad. About 2 hours late into CHI but no matter to us, this was a day trip to CHI fo r the Irish festival. 30 was on time out of CHI and another great crew. Some delays ,over all about 2 hours late into CLE. Crew was right on top of everything. All announcements were clear and on time. ( dinner, lounge open ect. ) Two great crews, this has not allways been the case on the CL. Lets hope that this is the start of a new trend. Maybe that training thats been talked about is paying off. :D :D :D :D

did u spend the night in chicago ? Cause 29 crews turn in chicago and out the same day they come in .

I have traveled both the CL and the LSL many times between CLE and CHI. For the most part, I've always thought the staff on the CL was much better. That is not a shot at the LSL staff since they are usually good but the CL just seems better to me.

Well for one thing we really did see a car att. in coach. More than once, and he did help people find seats, ect. in the middle of the night. Thats when you board in CLE. In four trips to CHI in the past 6 months this is only the second time that I saw a coach att. at night. Yes at the end of the run to collect trash pillows ect. I guess thats 50% not to bad. We learn to live with it ,no big deal. Like I say AMTRAK is an adventure. I would not have it any other way. You just learn to take things in stride and take care of yourself. It is afterall a short trip and coach to boot. Its still a great day trip and there is still a train to go on. :D :D :D

On my trip in May, I too saw car attendents in coach helping folks in the middle of the night.

The train crew also had the PA system turned off in the morning, which somewhat miffed the dining car crew, which was trying to get a few more customers for breakfast. My waitress asked me, "Did they make an annoucement that we were open for breakfast?"

"No," I said as I slurped some fresh coffee. Yum, especially after catnapping in coach.

"Well, I'll just have to do something," she said, and walked away. I flagged her down for a coffee refill.

"You do something?"

"Sure! I walked through the coaches and said 'Rise and shine, the dining car is open for breakfast!'"

Not quite what I would expect, but you had to give her high marks for enthusiasm! The railroad french toast was excellent, too.

Back