Good Newspaper Article.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Twenty food-service cars also will be converted into passenger cars during the work project, which involves installing luggage racks, cutting out windows in the windowless galley area of the cars and other, more detailed work, Carlton said.
I'm surprised they have that many extra cafe cars at Bear! I hope they leave enough to allow for adding cafes to theoretical new corridors.... I know, wishful thinking on my part, but things like the new Virginia trains will be needing cafe cars for their trainsets in only two or three years. Six years from now, they won't have a problem because new diners will start arriving, replacing the diner lites which will replace some cafes which will free up some cafes ... but for the next six years, they've got to allow for some expansion potential with their existing fleet....

This is such an exciting and well-written article!

(It might have been nice if they'd explained why the "new" wheels were already rust-colored. I imagine some readers will be confused by that one.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, wishful thinking on my part, but things like the new Virginia trains will be needing cafe cars for their trainsets in only two or three years.
The new Virginia trains are merely exiting NEC runs that are being extended to Virginia. So they already have cafe cars and don't need additional ones.

I know, wishful thinking on my part, but things like the new Virginia trains will be needing cafe cars for their trainsets in only two or three years.
The new Virginia trains are merely exiting NEC runs that are being extended to Virginia. So they already have cafe cars and don't need additional ones.
I was thinking not of the October 2009 extension to Lynchburg but of the probably 2012 extension to Roanoke. My understanding was that at that point, Virginia would be buying two trainsets (and my thought here was that if they were to have cafes, using existing ones that are currently spare would make a lot of sense). Or am I misremembering the Virginia plan as Rafi laid it out?

Good article, interesting gallery. I don't recall seeing another newspaper with the "(Buy photo)" option in an online article.

There are tons of old Amcafes sitting at the Wilmington Shops (visible from the train). Now I know all of you think the Diner Lites would do well on the LD day trains of the east coast, but just take a moment to think...there are only 25 Amfleet II possible Diner Lite diners(currently there one only 24 active AMF II cars, 14 of which have been refurnished into the new configuration), all of which are used on a regular basis on the NE to South and NE to MW trains, if you took the rest for the other trains, then all the other trains wouldn't even have a lounge. Just my two cents.

cpamtfan-Peter

Well-written article. Its gratifying to see some roll-up your sleeves and go to work type jobs being done from the stimulus package, especially so soon after passage of the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back