Good Times for Amtrak California!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jccollins

Conductor
The last few months have been exceptionally positive for Amtrak in California. Just last week groundbreaking occurred for a brand new fleet maintenance facility in Oakland, CA. Trainweb has coverage of the event at: http://www.trainweb.com/news/2002/2002k14a.html

A few months ago (September 27), groundbreaking occurred for $88 million in track improvements between Oakland, CA and San Jose, CA. This will allow the Capitol Corridor to significantly increase the number of trains between Oakland and San Jose. For the story see Trainweb's site at: http://www.trainweb.com/news/2002/2002i27a.html . A new Amtrak Station will also be constructed at the Oakland Colliseum.

An 11th Capitol Corridor round trip will be added this January.

These are good times for Amtrak in California. It's too bad the other states don't have similar partnerships with Amtrak. If they did we would have a powerful rail network.

Since I ride south of Oakland it would be very nice to have increased actual train service south of there as currently there are only three trains a day that run southbound from Sac to San Jose (2 in the afternoon) an additional sfternoon through train would be great.

jccollins said:
These are good times for Amtrak in California. It's too bad the other states don't have similar partnerships with Amtrak. If they did we would have a powerful rail network.
I have made this same statement many, many times here on this forum.

California is the best state in funding Amtrak. California currently gives Amtrak $2 billion a year to run its trains, with more funding to come as the triple tracking process begins between LA and san Francisco.

While I agree that California is the best state in regards to Amtrak funding I think that the $2 billion a year figure is a bit high as that would be more than enough to fully appropriate all of Amtrak for the FY. :)

battalion51 said:
California is the best state in funding Amtrak. California currently gives Amtrak $2 billion a year to run its trains, with more funding to come as the triple tracking process begins between LA and san Francisco.
$2 billion???? Sounds way to high. Amtrak would actually make a profit if they got that much money. Mabey $20 million or $200 million is more sensible.

battalion51 said:
TRIPLE tracking between L.A. and San Francisco? Would this be on the Coast route, or inland San Joaquin route? I haven't heard anything about this. TRIPLE tracking? Currently most of both the Coast and San Joaquin routes have single track. Has anyone heard about this triple tracking between L.A. and San Francisco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back