Google Transit fun

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DowneasterPassenger

Lead Service Attendant
SEPTA has now been added to Google Transit.

I've been able to fulfill a longstanding dream, planning long distance NEC trips on local trains! On Google maps, select "Get Directions" and "By public transit".

Try "Washington DC Union Station to Aberdeen MD", "Newark DE to Trenton NJ", "Trenton NJ to New York NY", "New York NY to New Haven CT", "Providence RI to Boston MA". Google transit will put you on all the local trains of MARC, SEPTA, NJT, Metro North and MBTA! The longest trip I've been able to plan so far is "Newark DE to New Haven CT", complete with SEPTA rides, NJT, NYC subway and Metro North (time 7hrs). No fare info yet. On BART it has fares.

The only Amtrak-only segments on the NEC are Aberdeen to Newark, DE and New London to Providence, right? One day just for fun I'd like to make the actual journey using Amtrak as little as possible.

I wonder if Google will ever add Amtrak to transit?

Google transit is quite handy.

Yes, I managed to get that New Haven-Newark, DE routing.

A few transit systems that would be helpful to add in the Northeast:

Shore Line East

SEAT Bus

CTTransit (data submitted already)

Bee-Line Bus

Suffolk County Transit

DART First State

WMATA

Believe it or not, Amtrak is already in the system for a few corridor trips.

These routes are included: Empire Service, Hiawatha, Capitol Corridor

Believe it or not, Amtrak is already in the system for a few corridor trips.These routes are included: Empire Service, Hiawatha, Capitol Corridor
Hold the presses! The San Joaquin line is in there too!
As is the Capitol Corridor and the Pacific Surfliner! Looks like Amtrak California is on the ball.

No long-distance trains, though.

Haven't been able to successfully plot out anything from L.A. to north of L.A. (i.e. LAX-SMF), so perhaps Thruway buses aren't included...

Last edited by a moderator:
No long-distance trains, though.
Haven't been able to successfully plot out anything from L.A. to north of L.A. (i.e. LAX-SMF), so perhaps Thruway buses aren't included...
Me either. I tried a few trips with Thruway connections and got "outside our current coverage area".

ACE trains do not seem to be in there.

This list of participating transit agencies includes an oddball set of Amtrak cities:

Los Angeles Amtrak Stockton Amtrak

Chicago Amtrak

New York Amtrak
Stockton is blessed with two Amtrak stations and is a minor hub for Thruway connections and the ACE trains, but it's no Los Angeles or New York. And many of the Amtrak destinations we've found so far, are not on the list. For example the Capitol Corridor is in there, but the city of Sacremento is not listed.

The only Amtrak-only segments on the NEC are Aberdeen to Newark, DE and New London to Providence, right? One day just for fun I'd like to make the actual journey using Amtrak as little as possible.
In that case you might wish to read this OTOL trip report.
That's a great trip report, thanks for sharing.

That's a great trip report, thanks for sharing.
I remember I read a report somewhere of one attempting to go from DC to NY without Amtrak via the NEC. It took him 12 hours or 24 hours, I dont' remember.

MARC to Perryville

THE Bus to Elkton (seniors bus)

DART First State to Newark

SEPTA to 30 St.

SEPTA to Trenton

NJT to New York

Just so you know, the gaps are closing. MARC plans service to Newark, DE within the next 2 years, and SLE has plans to extend more trains to New London and eventually Mystic and Providence.

Thanks for the link! That was a fascinating trip report. It took a while to read through everything.

I like the author's general plan of dividing it into a "north-of-Philadelphia" trip and a "south-of-Philadelphia" one.

My first step is going to a trip from Philadelphia to Portland, Maine, taking local trains as much as possible and Amtrak as little as possible. According to Google transit, Amtrak, and the Shore Line timetable, I've been able to piece together a weekday trip that takes less than one day.

Segment,Agency,Train No.,Dep,Arr

PHL-TRE, SEPTA, 4721, 8:52AM, 9:43AM

TRE-NYP, NJT , NEC, 10:01AM, 11:36AM

NYP-GCT, subway, 1-S, 11:48AM, 11:57AM

GCT-NHV, Metro North, 12:07PM, 1:52PM

NHV-OSB, Shore Line, 1632 3:20PM, 4:05PM

OSB-PVD, Amtrak, 174, 4:07PM, 6:23PM

PVD-BBY, MBTA, 1814, 7:05PM, 8:08PM

BBY-BON, subway, orange, 8:16PM, 8:23PM

BON-HHL, MBTA, 1221, 8:40PM, 9:47PM

HHL-POR, Amtrak, 699, 12:07AM, 1:43AM

If anyone along those local transit routes sees a flaw in that plan, please let me know! It looks like an awfully tight connection in New York and in also in Old Saybrook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link! That was a fascinating trip report. It took a while to read through everything.

I like the author's general plan of dividing it into a "north-of-Philadelphia" trip and a "south-of-Philadelphia" one.

My first step is going to a trip from Philadelphia to Portland, Maine, taking local trains as much as possible and Amtrak as little as possible. According to Google transit, Amtrak, and the Shore Line timetable, I've been able to piece together a weekday trip that takes less than one day.

Segment,Agency,Train No.,Dep,Arr

PHL-TRE, SEPTA, 4721, 8:52AM, 9:43AM

TRE-NYP, NJT , NEC, 10:01AM, 11:36AM

NYP-GCT, subway, 1-S, 11:48AM, 11:57AM

GCT-NHV, Metro North, 12:07PM, 1:52PM

NHV-OSB, Shore Line, 1632 3:20PM, 4:05PM

OSB-PVD, Amtrak, 174, 4:07PM, 6:23PM

PVD-BBY, MBTA, 1814, 7:05PM, 8:08PM

BBY-BON, subway, orange, 8:16PM, 8:23PM

BON-HHL, MBTA, 1221, 8:40PM, 9:47PM

HHL-POR, Amtrak, 699, 12:07AM, 1:43AM

If anyone along those local transit routes sees a flaw in that plan, please let me know! It looks like an awfully tight connection in New York and in also in Old Saybrook.
30m for PSNY-GCT should be fine on a weekday as long as reduced walking speed due to crowding isn't an issue.

Regarding Shore Line East, if your plan is not for this summer, wait for a new schedule. Same for NJT. Amtrak NEC tie replacement is causing massive schedule shifts.

Back