Grand Canyon Railway website

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakBlue

Engineer
Gathering Team Member
Found this interesting - no mention of getting to Williams (WMA) via Amtrak on the Grand Canyon Railway website.

The Grand Canyon is located in northern Arizona. Grand Canyon Railway departs daily from Williams, Arizona, 65 miles south of the world-famous abyss. Coined the "Gateway to the Grand Canyon", Williams is located off Interstate 40, 32 miles west of Flagstaff.

The area is easy to get to via Interstate roadways. However, Grand Canyon Country is a remote part of the United States. The closest major metro area is Phoenix, about 180 miles away or a 2.5 hour drive from Phoenix to Williams. Las Vegas is about a 3.5 hour drive from Williams (233 miles). If you're coming from the Los Angeles area, budget about 6.5 hours to drive to Williams.

If you're traveling from Phoenix, take Interstate 17 north to Flagstaff. At the I-40 interchange go west toward Williams. For added adventure, drive through Sedona on your way north.

Closest Airports

Flagstaff's Pulliam Airport has US Airways (service from PHX) with flights that arrive daily. The next closest airport is Phoenix Sky Harbor, followed by Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (LAS).

If you're traveling by air, planning a trip with Phoenix or Las Vegas is a great way to tour the best the Southwest has to offer. Flying into Phoenix, staying a few nights in the Sonoran desert, and then heading to Grand Canyon Country before heading to Las Vegas for a few more nights is an excellent itinerary that will allow you to experience three completely unique and exhilarating atmospheres.

That's OK, there's no mention of the Grand Canyon Railway on Amtrak's timetable either!

Page #94, Williams Junction!!!! Amtrak Time Table!
My mistake, Amtrak does give the GCR a plug.
It's more than a "plug." You can book your GCRW trip with Amtrak. Amtrak considers the GCRW a "Thruway Connection", and even has Amtrak train numbers assigned to the GCRW trips. The van connection from Williams Junction to Williams is run for Amtrak by the GCRW.

I think The _Traveler even made one of those once!!!! :hi:
Aloha

Maybe even twice :rolleyes: :giggle: :lol:
Yes twice!
smile.gif

Once in coach
sad.gif
(no roomettes available
laugh.gif
) and once by super dooper Parlor Car (with the open platform on the back
cool.gif
)! And this was both when they ran steam locomotives!
biggrin.gif

In the event you are considering Amtrak and GCRR trip, the GCRR folks operate a shuttle bus between WMJ (where SWC stops - basically a platform) and WMA (GCRR terminal and hotel). I found the GCRR trip to be enjoyable - very family and tourist oriented.

In the event you are considering Amtrak and GCRR trip, the GCRR folks operate a shuttle bus between WMJ (where SWC stops - basically a platform) and WMA (GCRR terminal and hotel). I found the GCRR trip to be enjoyable - very family and tourist oriented.
I was just browsing AAA for future travel (already have this year's travel planned/booked) when I saw a deal for GCRR. I remembered others on here mentioning GCRR/Williams/etc so I was surprised to see them not mention Amtrak as a means of getting there.

Planning a trip on Amtrak.com shows WMA as a "station", then when you bring up a trip, it shows that its a 10 min bus ride from WMA.

Planning a trip on Amtrak.com shows WMA as a "station", then when you bring up a trip, it shows that its a 10 min bus ride from WMA.
The trip from WMJ to WMA is via a shuttle van operated by the hotel. In fact, the "station/platform" is on private property and is locked, with the shuttle driver having the key. There is no other way to get there. Just before the train arrives, the shuttle driver unlocks the gate and turns on the platform lights. After the train departs, the driver turns off the platform lights and relocks the gate.

There is no parking there, but I believe you can park in the hotel lot, but you have to take the shuttle. There is no other way to get to the train!
rolleyes.gif

Was just thinking that a couple years ago the Amtrak printed timetable had a plug for the GCRR. It showed small picture of cowboys on horseback with GCRR train in the background. IIRC, there was also a timetable describing GCRR schedule. I haven't looked at the printed timetable in a while (most everything is listed on the web site).

I am surprised that GCRR would not have a link to Amtrak, or at least a brief description of how one would use Amtrak to get to the GCRR.

Also, if you have time, consider the Verde Canyon Railway excursion train. However, you will need a vehicle to get there from Williams (or Flagstaff).

Man, I'd love to make a mini vacation of the GCR but the cost of simply getting to Williams, AZ is like triple the cost of their packages. Bah!

That's OK, there's no mention of the Grand Canyon Railway on Amtrak's timetable either!
When I travelled on the SWC, which was last year in November, the timetable flyer did mention the Grand Canyon railway. There were no actual times but a phone number to call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back