Great Dome on Adirondack Line

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MBB

Hi All -

I really want to go on the Great Dome before it is retired - the Adirondack line supposedly carries it seasonally and I actually have someplace to go on the line (WSP). The last time I rode that train, there was no dome car on it and the seats were not assigned (I think front car to Canada, rear staying in USA was the only separation). Is there a way to book to guarantee seats in the Dome? I couldn't find on Amtrak's website when the Dome operations start, but read on here late September, any confirmation on that? Finally, suggestion on seating side heading North and then on the Return from NYP to WSP - or should we make the trip longer and go all the way to Canada and then back to WSP?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Dome seats are open to all passengers. They are separate from your coach seat. Passengers are free to use the dome seats at will. They're usually on the Adriondack during October, run one way three days a week, then three days a week the other way. The announcement should be made soon.

Unlike many tourist railroads, excursions and charters, dome seats on regular runs are not revenue seats, you can't book them. They are essentially a form of lounge seating.

I rode it last year and the days it ran were the same as the year before. I booked it before it was announced and took the chance that it would be the same. Just google it and you should get last year's announcement

Last edited by a moderator:
Ocean View is a lounge car, much like a Sightseer Lounge Car is. Therefore, you can't "reserve" a seat for it as it is open to all passengers. Also note that it only is used 3 days a week in each direction. (This is only an example but Monday northbound, Tuesday southbound, Wednesday northbound, etc..., so if you travel southbound on Monday it will not be on your train.)

Best views will be east. (Right north, left south.) However since the windows are on both sides, there is no "bad side".

It used to run on the Cardinal in the fall too but did not last year ( I think) Any news about Ocean View on the Cardinal this year?

Hiya,

I just googled it because it's something I'm interested in to. From amtraks page about Ocean View:

"Enjoy the Great Dome car traveling northbound September 25 - November 3 on Thursday, Saturday and Monday (Train 69). Or traveling southbound September 26 - November 4 on Friday, Sunday and Tuesday (Train 68)."

Not during the fall, but perhaps in another season. I doubt they just keep it in storage for ten months! I would guess it generates it's worth in upkeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back