greeting from Montana

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moses

Train Attendant
Hello people! I have always been enthusiast of trains or any form of travel.

I am using the train to re-locate to NY at the end of September. Quite excited for I have never been on a train in the US before. I will be traveling from Whitefish, Montana to NY penn station.

Welcome to the forum!
hi.gif

That is some undertaking for a first train trip! I hope you have a sleeper for at least part of the trip!
wink.gif

I also recommend that you join Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) prior to your trip! AGR is similar to an airline's frequent flyer program that gives you FREE Amtrak travel. With this trop alone, and with the sign up bonus and this trip alone, you may have enough for a FREE trip!

If you would like to join AGR, I'll be glad to refer you. Just send me a PM (Private Message) with your email address.

Welcome to the forum!
hi.gif

That is some undertaking for a first train trip! I hope you have a sleeper for at least part of the trip!
wink.gif

I also recommend that you join Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) prior to your trip! AGR is similar to an airline's frequent flyer program that gives you FREE Amtrak travel. With this trop alone, and with the sign up bonus and this trip alone, you may have enough for a FREE trip!

If you would like to join AGR, I'll be glad to refer you. Just send me a PM (Private Message) with your email address.
I have signed up with AGR, and believe it or not unless I run into more cash I am going to just coach seat it. . . I know its a long time in the coach seat. But I can manage and also I will wander around.

I have read almost all the first time trip tips. . and I thank you for the response. I am looking forward to the trip.

Also be aware that you do not have to go the whole trip by sleeper. You can go part way by sleeper, or even part way on one train by sleeper! (Example: On the Empire Builder, you could chose to go from say Minot to Chicago via sleeper - with the other 2 segments in coach!
wink.gif
)

Also check with the Conductor on board about the possibility of an on-board upgrade. You can that way get the room at the lowest possible cost - if there are any rooms available!
biggrin.gif

Hi and welcome!

I did part of this trip in coach in October 2008 - Chicago to Whitefish, overnight at the Downtowner, then Whitefish to Milwaukee the next day. I enjoyed every minute of it, even though after Cut Bank it would be boring for a non-train person. I'm guessing that going at the end of September, you'll see much more green than I did at the end of October.

Here's some pictures and video of what you might see between Whitefish and Milwaukee, others have pictures and video too (the Empire Builder is a very popular route), watching people's signatures for links is a good place to find them:

Day 3: Whitefish to Minot, ND

Day 4: St. Paul to Milwaukee

Back