Greetings from Morgantown, West Virginia

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I am originally from Detroit but currently reside just outside Morgantown, WV (per subject line).

I have traveled round trip on Amtrak 3 times in the last 8+ years:

- Auto Train in May 2000 with a roommate from college. We stayed at a timeshare near Disney World for a week.

- Pittsburgh to Detroit (bus connection from Toledo) to visit family for Christmas 2000. I usually drive, but my parents were concerned about the inclement weather in the region. I think this was on the now-defunct 3 Rivers.

- Harrisburg to New York Penn (Keystone) in January 2006. I was attending a Catholic singles gathering in the Big Apple. I figured I didn't want to drive into New York City. The train seemed like the way to go, especially as I had a free hotel night from Choice Hotels to spend. I drove up to Harrisburg on a Thursday afternoon, used my free hotel night, then caught the train the next morning.

I mentioned my timeshare above. Earlier this week I booked my next exchange, in Sedona, Arizona in May of next year. I am strongly considering an Amtrak trip going out there (Pittsburgh to Flagstaff), but I would probably fly back out of Phoenix.

Mr. Zoom

Welcome!
You've made great choices - with AU :D , considering taking Amtrak to FLG, and your choice of Sedona! I miss my 7 years I lived in NW Arizona, and going to FLG and Sedona often!
BR = before rail, last Sept went to Sedona, Jerome ,Flagstaff --- loved the trip and even got photos of the Grand Canyon RR Train as I was on my way to the El Tovar!!! As a Florida Boy, I'd like to experience the rest of the Nation by Rail.

Any suggestions??? :)

BR = before rail, last Sept went to Sedona, Jerome ,Flagstaff --- loved the trip and even got photos of the Grand Canyon RR Train as I was on my way to the El Tovar!!! As a Florida Boy, I'd like to experience the rest of the Nation by Rail.Any suggestions??? :)
With your upcoming September trip, you'll cover much of the "to see". The main things left are across the AZ divide and the Cajon Pass on the SWC and the southern part of the CS. Although this can be done in one connecting trip, much of the crossing of AZ will be in darkness and the Cajon Pass decent will be early (like 5 AM)!

Other "must sees" include the Columbia River Gorge. The EB (PDX section) does this, but much is late afternoon eastbound or early morning westbound. Another is the LSL (or any Empire Service train) between ALB and NYP along the Hudson River. (If the LSL, going eastbound is better, much of the westbound may be in darkness.) Another is the Adirondack, where you go on the shore of the Hudson River on the southern side and on the shore of Lake Champlain on the northern half. And the Surfliners in CA and (surprisingly) the NEC trains in CT go right along the ocean! And, although I have not taken it, I will include the Downeaster.

(If the LSL, going eastbound is better, much of the westbound may be in darkness.)
Actually it's more the opposite much of the eastbound can be in darkness, especially if its running late as usual. The westbound is scheduled into ALB at 4:15 PM, so unless it's late departing NYP it usually makes most of the run with some light still available even on the shortest days of the year. The rest of the year, the westbound almost always sees daylight the whole way to ALB.

By the way, I still consider the New River Gorge National Park a must see, even if the Cardinal still doesn't run with a Sightseer lounge to actually do the run justice.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bad! It should be the westbound LSL.

But looking at the schedule, I noticed something VERY surprising! #49 departs NYP @ 3:45 PM and arrives ALB @ 4:15 PM - only 30 minutes later! :eek: And it arrives ALB 13 minutes BEFORE it departs CRT - over 100 miles south! :eek: :eek:

I guess Amtrak found a way to turn the clocks back! :lol: And they finally got the NYP-ALB run under 2 hours! :lol:

Hello everyone, this is my first post.
I am originally from Detroit but currently reside just outside Morgantown, WV (per subject line).

Mr. Zoom
Welcome to AU!

I'm surprised no one has asked, and I'm itching to: do you ride and enjoy the PRT frequently? :)
I used to ride it a fair amount when I first moved here (1995). I haven't in several years, though.

Latest posts

Back