Greetings from the land down south!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel

Train Attendant
Hello to all the forum members!
hi.gif

My name is Joel and I'm from Argentina. Since I was little I always loved trains, and living in the southern suburbia of Buenos Aires gave me the chance to explore a small but very diverse world of Japanese EMU's, big diesel trains, and even wooden subway cars (they're about to celebrate their 100th birthday!
tongue.gif
). Anyway, I've travelled twice on Amtrak (OKJ-LAX and NYP-WAS), it was a great experience (as it always is - travelling by train anywhere). Although I'm not moving to the US, life circumstances decided that from now on I would be more likely to travel up there and enjoy some other train rides. So I've registered here in order to find some tips about travelling, but also to share my trips, and maybe give advices to those adventurers who would want to try argentinian trains! Feel free to write me, I will always answer your questions.
laugh.gif

Joel

PD: Although I need to speak a lot of english at work, I may still have some grammar and spelling mistakes, my bad guys! I apologize in advance...

Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited, Joel. We are most pleased to have you join our

group. Don't worry about your language skills as I certain your English is

probably better than most of our Spanish.

Do continue to monitor the board and post often.

Hello to all the forum members!
hi.gif

My name is Joel and I'm from Argentina. Since I was little I always loved trains, and living in the southern suburbia of Buenos Aires gave me the chance to explore a small but very diverse world of Japanese EMU's, big diesel trains, and even wooden subway cars (they're about to celebrate their 100th birthday!
tongue.gif
). Anyway, I've travelled twice on Amtrak (OKJ-LAX and NYP-WAS), it was a great experience (as it always is - travelling by train anywhere). Although I'm not moving to the US, life circumstances decided that from now on I would be more likely to travel up there and enjoy some other train rides. So I've registered here in order to find some tips about travelling, but also to share my trips, and maybe give advices to those adventurers who would want to try argentinian trains! Feel free to write me, I will always answer your questions.
laugh.gif

Joel

PD: Although I need to speak a lot of english at work, I may still have some grammar and spelling mistakes, my bad guys! I apologize in advance...
Joel, welcome to AU! We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hola, Joel and welcome to AU,
hi.gif

I'm sure your English is better then most of our Spanish. It may even be better than some of us type English!
laugh.gif
I do hope you post and ask questions, and maybe answer some too! And I hope one day to make it down your way, so I may have some questions for you also.

Hey, Joel! Nice to have you here! I've always liked Argentinian trains compared to others down in South America. Argentina and Peru probably have the best systems over there, Chile is OK, Brazil and the other countries have virtually no passenger rail, a big disappointment for me. Hope your trains still keep running well, also heard that they have heavy competetition from luxury buses. You know, in America, the trains are always more expensive than uses, in Argentina it's the opposite AKAIK.

Thank you all for your replies! I'm looking forward to participating more in some interesting topics.

Hey, Joel! Nice to have you here! I've always liked Argentinian trains compared to others down in South America. Argentina and Peru probably have the best systems over there, Chile is OK, Brazil and the other countries have virtually no passenger rail, a big disappointment for me. Hope your trains still keep running well, also heard that they have heavy competetition from luxury buses. You know, in America, the trains are always more expensive than uses, in Argentina it's the opposite AKAIK.

Well, we used to have one of the greatest networks in the whole world. But (as always happened), governments screwed it all up. Just to clarify what I'm saying, this map could help (It's a little bit heavy, sorry):

mapa.GIF

It is all written in Spanish, but the image speaks for itself. In light blue are marked the lines that still offer some kind of service. Almost none of them operates daily, and travel times have grew dramatically in the last 20 years. In pink, some regional services that run daily but considering the distances they should have some more frequencies. With violet edges, tourist/heritage trains. Again, none operates daily and even there, there have been withdrawals (the Old Patagonian Express from Ing. Jacobacci to Esquel - which was one of the last steam operated lines in the world - has been cut in three silly parts, the same with the "Train to the Clouds" - it was a REAL service to Antofagasta, a Chilean city by the Pacific. Now it is only a roundtrip to Polvorilla's Viaduct, the highest point in the line, costing around 120 dollars each...
wacko.gif
).

And finally in grey and yellow, lines that now have no passenger traffic (in yellow there are some recent withdrawals), some still have freight, but travel speeds are just a joke. A lot of these lines have now disappeared, even in important cities. And yes, everything is dominated by "luxury" double decker buses. There are departures 24 hours a day to almost every city in the country, and of course there's a lot of traffic between cities, not passing thru Buenos Aires. I just hate them, our routes/highways sistem differs a lot from the one you have, there's almost none "Interstate-like" highway here - only two lane routes, one outbound and another inbound. Of course, this makes travelling by bus a very very dangerous activity, but people seem to accept it, given the fact that there are almost no trains, and travelling by plane is barely impossible (and our network sucks - for example, if you need to fly from La Rioja to Formosa, you will have to make a connection in... Buenos Aires). Besides, trains are really abandoned, only some routes preserve sensible rolling stock (none younger than 30 years). Train is always cheaper but getting a ticket for the most popular routes may be difficult, and the stereotype of the train being "the transport of the poor, thieves, beggars and stuff" has been installed in the last 20 years (the most of the important lines were closed in 1993).

Anyway, a lot of interesting rides are still possible, so whenever you want you may come and try it out!
rolleyes.gif
I'll later post some images and reports of recent trips i've made here, so you may see how are things going down here. Sorry for the long presentation - felt I needed to explain the situation a little bit.

Again, thanks for the greetings!

Nice map you got there! I would really like a train from Buenos Aires to Mendoza and the Tucaman train to be extended to Salta, possibly even further. I do'nt know much about your country, but maybe a train to Zapala would be good as well.

Nice map you got there! I would really like a train from Buenos Aires to Mendoza and the Tucaman train to be extended to Salta, possibly even further. I do'nt know much about your country, but maybe a train to Zapala would be good as well.
Well, Mendoza is one of the most important cities (and boosts a huge tourism activity due to its great wineyards, the high Andes mountains and some ski resorts). That line was one of the most popular, but sadly no regular service has returned since 1993. That line is broad gauge (1676 mm), but also offered direct connection with a narrow gauge (1000 mm) called Trasandino, which (as it name says) crossed the Andes on to Santiago and Valparaiso in Chile. That was a really astonishing route, also withdrawn in the late 70's. It is really hard to recover that one, given the fact that it was built too high, and snowstorms from May to October make it difficult to construct. A new Central Trasandino is planned, with a lower (and of course longer and more expensive) tunnel. But as always... "planned"...
angry.gif

Tucumán was served by two lines: one narrow gauge and another broad. The one that stands alone now is the broad gauge, and that has been historically its northern terminus (also the broad gauge to Cordoba ends there, between Cordoba and Tucumán its narrow gauge). Up north the scenery is really rough, too much mountain and dramatic cliffs, so since its very beginning, Salta, La Rioja, Catamarca, Jujuy and those connecting services to Chile (via Socompa pass, "Train to the Clouds") and Bolivia (via La Quiaca or Pocitos) were narrow gauge ones, given the fact also that northern Chile and the whole of Bolivia have 1000 mm gauge systems. Resistencia and Formosa are served by that same gauge as well, that isn't due to rough terrain (those are the Chaco plains, and the famous jungle called "The Impenetrable"), that was due to economic reasons - the narrow gauge lines were almost all constructed by the state, while the broad gauge big lines (which are three) and the standard (your
happy.gif
) gauge line were constructed almost in their entirety by english companies. By now getting back a train from Buenos Aires to Salta seems a little difficult, but not impossible. Salta is gaining some worldwide fame due to their particular wineyards (which are curiosly high), the Train to the Clouds and of course that astonishing scenery. That would be a must for every traveller, argentinian or not.

The Zapala line, part of the former Southern Railway (then nationalized and converted to Ferrocarril General Roca), was also very popular. The line between Bahía Blanca and Neuquén follows one of the richer valleys in the country, the Río Negro high valley. This is the place for the best apples and oranges in this part of the world. Westwards from Neuquén comes the rough part, harsh and isolated Patagonic desert, oil extracting plants and the dramatic scenery of the Andes. This was though a very touristic route, because in the end, from Zapala were offered some bus connections to ski and winter resorts all along the Andes. Now some brazilian investors (Vale) are trying to renew all this line, for freight services (although freight in this route never ended). Also, there is a Argentinian-Chilean project of completing the line to the Pacific, given the fact that both southern Chile and this line are broad gauge lines and the Andes are lower (and then the tunnel would be easier and cheaper). But as always... "promises".

I'm looking forward to creating a thread in the "Travel reports" part, showing some trips of mine and explaining a bit further all this mess called Argentina
laugh.gif

Hey! Welcome to the forum.

I actually spent a day in Buenos Aires a few years ago and rode one of the commuter trains out to the end and back. I have no idea where I went anymore, but it was fun. I loved the narrow guage part of it. It was very cheap too!

Back