Greetings from the Ozarks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozark Southern

Lead Service Attendant
Hello all! I am a longtime fan of trains, but I am relatively new to train travel. Since there are no passenger lines in the Ozarks--we have to drive about two hours to Sedalia--most of the locations we travel are only accessible by highway. However, once we took the Amtrak to Chicago, we've decided we're planning our vacations for train travel. We're eagerly awaiting the conversion of the MO River Runner and Illinois Service to high-speed rails.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all! I am a longtime fan of trains, but I am relatively new to train travel. Since there are no passenger lines in the Ozarks--we have to drive about two hours to Sedalia--most of the locations we travel are only accessible by highway. However, once we took the Amtrak to Chicago, we've decided we're planning our vacations for train travel. We're eagerly awaiting the conversion of the MO River Runner and Illinois Service to high-speed rails.
Hello, and welcome!

I know your frustration with no passenger lines -- my husband and I live near Louisville, and we have to drive out of state to board trains too! Like you, we're (fairly) recent converts to train travel, having taken our first trip a year and a half ago. Now, though, we've become such frequent ones that we're about to go on our first free one, courtesy of the points we've amassed through Amtrak Guest Rewards.

Please let us know if you have any questions -- people here are delighted to help newcomers to the board.

Welcome! :)

Before you take your next trip (within 90 days of travel), be sure to sign up for Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR). It is like a frequent flyer program, and you can be rewarded with free trips! I live in RI and went to Portland, OR 3 times last year - all free thanks to AGR! :cool:

Every so often, AGR has a "refer a friend" promotion (including now) that gives you a larger sign-up bonus. If you will be traveling within 90 days, I would be glad to refer you. Just send me a PM (Private Message). But if you are not traveling within 90 days, do not sign up for AGR yet - you will not get any sign-up bonus if you do not travel within 90 days of signing up. :(

If you have ANY questions, ask and someone will provide an answer. (And most of the times - they're correct too! :lol: )

Welcome! :)
Before you take your next trip (within 90 days of travel), be sure to sign up for Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR). It is like a frequent flyer program, and you can be rewarded with free trips! I live in RI and went to Portland, OR 3 times last year - all free thanks to AGR! :cool:

Every so often, AGR has a "refer a friend" promotion (including now) that gives you a larger sign-up bonus. If you will be traveling within 90 days, I would be glad to refer you. Just send me a PM (Private Message). But if you are not traveling within 90 days, do not sign up for AGR yet - you will not get any sign-up bonus if you do not travel within 90 days of signing up. :(

If you have ANY questions, ask and someone will provide an answer. (And most of the times - they're correct too! :lol: )
Thank you both very much. Our next trip will probably be this fall, so I'll look at joining AGR later this summer.

Back