Guest Rewards - for Europeans!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sealink

Service Attendant
I've tried to sign up to Amtrak Guest Rewards, but it seems to insist on a Canada or US Address.

Is it possible for someone from the UK to join these scheme, or is it open only to US / Canada citizens?

Hey! I thought you had to be a US resident to qualify, I didn't think Canadians were eligible! Wonder if I can get my Canadian boyfriend to sign up? He really oughta.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to go look into that.

Sorry for Europeans though, I wish you guys could get the points too.

Hey! I thought you had to be a US resident to qualify, I didn't think Canadians were eligible! Wonder if I can get my Canadian boyfriend to sign up? He really oughta.

As far as I know, as long as you have a US or Canadian address - you can sign up!

Sealink - Note it is an address, not a citizen. If you could use a US or Canadian address (such as a friend's or relative's address), you could sign up!

As far as I know, as long as you have a US or Canadian address - you can sign up!

Sealink - Note it is an address, not a citizen. If you could use a US or Canadian address (such as a friend's or relative's address), you could sign up!

Oooooh!

Hmm, I had thought you needed to be a US/Canada citizen.

While there are companies that will sell/rent you a US mailing address, but I'm not sure how much they charge and if it would be worth getting one just to join AGR.

While there are companies that will sell/rent you a US mailing address, but I'm not sure how much they charge and if it would be worth getting one just to join AGR.
The Terms & Conditions page makes it pretty clear:

Membership is open to all residents of the U.S. and Canada. If you are unable to provide adequate information for us to validate your identity, we have the right to not allow you to register for the Amtrak Guest Rewards Program (“Program”).

Emphasis in bold is mine, but, to me, indicates they want to make sure you live in the US or Canada.

Membership is open to all residents of the U.S. and Canada. If you are unable to provide adequate information for us to validate your identity, we have the right to not allow you to register for the Amtrak Guest Rewards Program (“Program”).
Ah, that sounds like what I'd read before. I suppose if you have access to an address you could try it, but they might tell you to go away.

Ah, that sounds like what I'd read before. I suppose if you have access to an address you could try it, but they might tell you to go away.
I personally think that if you use a US or Canadian address, it is assumed you are a US or Canadian resident. I think one of the main reasons they want a US or Canadian address is that AGR will mail out the award tickets if the trip is more than 1 month in the future, and AGR doesn't want to pay the postage to the UK or France or South Africa or Japan or ...!

Membership is open to all residents of the U.S. and Canada. If you are unable to provide adequate information for us to validate your identity, we have the right to not allow you to register for the Amtrak Guest Rewards Program ("Program").
I personally think that if you use a US or Canadian address, it is assumed you are a US or Canadian resident. I think one of the main reasons they want a US or Canadian address is that AGR will mail out the award tickets if the trip is more than 1 month in the future, and AGR doesn't want to pay the postage to the UK or France or South Africa or Japan or ...!
I think that's probably the real reason. Maybe if/when Amtrak gets their planned electronic ticketing system going, we can suggest they look at changing this policy...

I think that's probably the real reason. Maybe if/when Amtrak gets their planned electronic ticketing system going, we can suggest they look at changing this policy...
There is no logical reason whatsoever for what AGR does. Consider, one can make a normal paid reservation months in advance and just leave it sitting in the computer as little electronic blip. Then pick up real tickets less than 5 minutes before departure without issue. Also consider that in an effort to save money, Amtrak will not mail out paid tickets unless you are departing from a station that doesn't have a ticket office that is open upon departure or a Quik-Trak machine, for free. Otherwise you have to pay to get the tickets mailed. This was a cost saving measure on Amtrak's part.

Now here comes AGR, where unless your trip is less than 30 days away, they can't keep your reservation in the computer and must mail the tickets to you. So you're getting a free trip, yet Amtrak wants to waste money mailing you your free tickets and won't even give you the option of picking them up.

They won't mail tickets you paid for, but will mail tickets that you got for free. Go figure! :blink:

I think it is more complicated than simply mail.

If AGR provides benefits of value (free travel) to international AGR members, the countries of residency of those members may require some reporting of the value provided, kind of like income reporting. That might require paperwork or filings for some counties, and maybe not for some others. My guess (and it is a guess) is that Amtrak (or AGR) does not want to deal with those issues in multiple countries. Thus they limit AGR membership, and the awards, to only residents of the US and Canada: countries in which they operate and do business.

There is no logical reason whatsoever for what AGR does. Consider, one can make a normal paid reservation months in advance and just leave it sitting in the computer as little electronic blip. Then pick up real tickets less than 5 minutes before departure without issue. Also consider that in an effort to save money, Amtrak will not mail out paid tickets unless you are departing from a station that doesn't have a ticket office that is open upon departure or a Quik-Trak machine, for free. Otherwise you have to pay to get the tickets mailed. This was a cost saving measure on Amtrak's part.
Now here comes AGR, where unless your trip is less than 30 days away, they can't keep your reservation in the computer and must mail the tickets to you. So you're getting a free trip, yet Amtrak wants to waste money mailing you your free tickets and won't even give you the option of picking them up.

They won't mail tickets you paid for, but will mail tickets that you got for free. Go figure! :blink:
That policy has since changed.

Which policy, as there are two contained within my post? :unsure:

The AGR policy of mailing tickets or the Amtrak policy of not mailing tickets.

The AGR policy of mailing tickets. You can now book travel months in advance, and pick your tickets up 5 minutes ahead of time.

The AGR policy of mailing tickets. You can now book travel months in advance, and pick your tickets up 5 minutes ahead of time.
Do you know as of when that policy was changed? Or any place that we all go to and see this change being reported?

Do you know as of when that policy was changed? Or any place that we all go to and see this change being reported?
The policy was changed roughly 4-6 weeks ago. It is not advertised, but if you ask an AGR rep about it, they can confirm it.

The policy was changed roughly 4-6 weeks ago. It is not advertised, but if you ask an AGR rep about it, they can confirm it.
I made an award trip for September-October about 1 month ago, and they mailed me the tickets. I had to cancel, so I had to mail them back.

If the policy did change, I wish they told me! :angry: It would have made canceling and not having to send back the tickets so much easier!

If AGR provides benefits of value (free travel) to international AGR members, the countries of residency of those members may require some reporting of the value provided, kind of like income reporting. That might require paperwork or filings for some counties, and maybe not for some others. My guess (and it is a guess) is that Amtrak (or AGR) does not want to deal with those issues in multiple countries. Thus they limit AGR membership, and the awards, to only residents of the US and Canada: countries in which they operate and do business.
So how is that different to frequent flyer schemes for airlines? The principal is the same.

Does seem a bit poor to not offer the AGR scheme to travellers from other countries, they don't seem to be so picky when it comes to spending money on tickets!

All this would probably become a non-issue if Amtrak would get with the program and start doing e-ticketing. Heck even Indian Railways allows me to get on the web make a reservation and get an e-ticket and print out a boarding pass on my printer and just go and board the train on the appointed day. I can't understand why it is so difficult for Amtrak to do the same.

As long as Amtrak does not have a registered office in those countries they do not have to deal with anything. I think this one is a red herring more or less. In the worst case said country might simply say you can't do it. I am not aware of any country that requires such filing for airline award tickets at this point in time. Not even China or Singapore or India!

All this would probably become a non-issue if Amtrak would get with the program and start doing e-ticketing. Heck even Indian Railways allows me to get on the web make a reservation and get an e-ticket and print out a boarding pass on my printer and just go and board the train on the appointed day. I can't understand why it is so difficult for Amtrak to do the same.
And now that AGR no longer requires that the tickets be mailed out, if this was a reason, it no longer is.

Back