Has anyone given a "show" from their bedroom to the outside?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benjibear

Conductor
When in a bedroom or roomette, and you want to change or go to the bathroom, remember to close the exterior curtains. There was a few times at night I forgot or just didn't do it. Not sure if anyone saw me from the outside, but I bet it has happened before.

If you were on No. 3 or 4, you must have scandalized the prairie dogs.

Oh I would sooooo like to comment on this! Alas, younger, first wife, adventurous. And AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, before cameras on cell phones! The statement, "Look, you don't know anyone outside the train, and besides, you'll never see them again...." Was quite persuasive.

Oh I would sooooo like to comment on this! Alas, younger, first wife, adventurous. And AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, before cameras on cell phones! The statement, "Look, you don't know anyone outside the train, and besides, you'll never see them again...." Was quite persuasive.
:eek:

I don't worry about the outside window curtains in the Viewliner. If someone really wants to watch me take a leak as the train rolls by, that's their problem.

I don't try to stare into their bathroom window either, as we roll by.

I got caught on the toilet on a Viewliner, pulling into NWK on an outbound Cardinal, shortly after it was extended to Penn. I wasn't paying attention and thought we had already stopped there.

Inadvertently, yes! Was traveling as the companion to a handicapped friend aboard the nothbound Starlight a few years ago, and was in one of the accessible bedrooms downstairs. Was doing my morning "business" and not really paying much attention; the train slowed and came to a stop just as I was finishing. I turned around to just then realize we'd pulled into the busy platform of Klammath Falls, Oregon, and my clear restroom window was at eye-level to the people standing outside! :excl: :help: :eek:

Rafters of both sexes moon the CZ these days. Once the train ground slowly past a proud young woman standing full frontal in her raft, her boyfriends grinning ear to ear. The lounge car, of course, went up for grabs.

Once, my wife and I were taking the Empire Builder from Spokane to Chicago. When we boarded the Builder at Spokane around 1:30 AM, our roomette was already converted for nighttime. I stood outside the room with the door closed as she stood next to the bunks in that small area between them and the door changing into her nighttime attire. When she was finished, she climbed up on the upper bunk, remember there are no windows up there in Superliners. When I entered, I asked if she had gotten almost nude while changing. When she said yes, I said something to the effect that the people at the station probably enjoyed the view. The curtain was open completely and she hadn't noticed it. She couldn't see the window with the upper bed down. We were sitting at the station the entire time.

Yeah - I hadn't really thought about it on my trips in a roomette between Savannah and Washington DC. But when I went to NYP, I realized (a bit late perhaps?) that not only is the section between DC and NYP in broad daylight, but the stations are all high level platforms. Wasn't too worried about the 135 MPH though podunkia, but you're going ZERO when you stop in a station.

That being said, daylight outside and a darker interior is usually a good thing. Night time outside and a bright light inside is just as revealing. Now I can't wait for the new Viewliner IIs!

Well, guess it's payback time for the CZ Mooners....... :p
The ones just above the Upper Gore Canyon? ... never could figure what their problem was with the CZ or Amtrak or ???
Ruby Canyon on the Colorado/Utah border is the morre common venue, since there are lots of rafting groups moving through that very remote canyon with no motor vehicle access. Passengers on the CZ (especially the westbound train) can expect to receive an Amtrak Salute every day during summer. The conductor will give a heads-up over the PA in advance for parents to cover the eyes of small children.

Is it easy to see into a bedroom/roomette when it is at the station? How visible are you to people on the platform (whether you are clothed or not?

I would guess more so at night with your lights on.

Is it easy to see into a bedroom/roomette when it is at the station? How visible are you to people on the platform (whether you are clothed or not?

If it's daytime, you might not be as visible due to the sun/sky reflecting on the glass. At night, however, if the light in your room is on, it's like being able to see people in their houses when their lights are on. On Superliners, the lower-level roomettes are at eye-level from the platform, and the upper roomettes are visible if someone is standing further back. On Viewliners, I imagine it's just as easy to see since those are single-level trains.

I don't worry about it when we're speeding through the middle of nowhere at 79 mph, but if we're going through a city at 30-40 mph or coming up to or sitting at a station stop, I close the curtains while changing.

Bearing in mind that if your curtains are closed, it is irrelevant whether it is night or day, station or rural. Ultimately it is up to you.

Oh the stories I could tell, of being in a freight locomotive passing or being passed by a Silver Service train....Some were probably accidental, some were definetely not. Got passed by a NB around Nahunta GA once, they were essentially pacing us on Main 1 due to a slow order. Their train matched our speed for a good mile or more, and they were quite proud. Good one em, made my night.

Once doesn't necessarily have to be "on the platform" or "outside" for a show either. On my very first qualification trip out of CHI on the Inter-American. Dinner service was over, and I had just eaten, and was still seated at the table closest to the Stewards desk, near the entrance to the kitchen. I think the next station stop was Poplar Bluff. But the sun was setting very low, but still very bright, just the right angle to be beaming thru the huge windows in the diner. When from behind me comes a "stately young coed", wearing a light colored sun dress. Because of the way the sun light was shining, one could tell that's ALL she was wearing. A couple of other employees heads automatically ratcheted around to look also. It was impossible not to.

The diner went silent a few minutes later when she returned, this time walking TOWARDS us. I knew then I liked working for Amtrak.

Alas, she got off at the next station, never to be seen again. But never to be forgotten either! :p

Unless you're in a station there's not much chance that anyone is going to see you long enough to make out what's going on, let alone be able to describe it with any accuracy. The chance that someone is pacing the train on a road that parallels the tracks and keeps sync with the train without deviation long enough to get a good view is slim. If you don't believe me try spotting some Amtrak trains from the outside and tell me what you see.

The conductor will give a heads-up over the PA in advance for parents to cover the eyes of small children.
Because being mooned for a few seconds from a distance harms you how, exactly?

Just wondering, but if a conductor ejected a passenger for doing the activities discussed in this thread, would that be a "show-off"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back