Have You Ever Overdosed On Trains?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil's Advocate

⠀⠀⠀
A couple years ago I was riding the Sunset Limited and had a family remark to me that they were sick of being couped up on the train. I was sympathetic to their complaints but figured this wasn't something I'd ever have to worry about. Well, as it turns out, I may not be as fanatical as I first assumed. Prior to this journey most of my train trips have been relatively short. I generally rode half or less of a single route's distance and then got off to visit with whoever or explore whatever before flying back. Or sometimes I flew in and rode the train out. Either way these trips were rarely more than a day and a night. In places like Germany and Japan the time I spent on the rails was maybe an hour or two. This trip saw me ride from Texas to Southern California and on to the Pacific Northwest and finally here to Toronto. This morning I arrived on what is generally considered the best passenger train North America has to offer and yet I was so very thankful to be disembarking the last and final train segment on this trip. Don't get me wrong, it's been a great trip with lots of enjoyable experiences and fun memories, but it's also been a lot more stressful than I expected. This was due in part to work related issues and last minute changes that necessitated a lot more re-planning than most of my trips require. It also made my costs increase substantially. But part of it may have simply been too much train riding. By the time I boarded The Canadian in Vancouver I was already a little drained and almost ready to head home. But of course that was never going to happen. Who could say when I might ever get another chance to ride it? Not to mention there was probably no way to get my twelve or thirteen hundred dollars back to use toward the cost of a last minute international flight. So I rode. And rode. And rode. This is one heck of a long journey if you've already been traveling on multiple trains and you're starting off with less than a full tank of energy. Each day saw me take longer and longer to get up and running. I met some great folks on each of my trains and had a good time but my interest in the trains themselves was fading quickly and by the time we finally arrived in Toronto all I wanted to do get as far away from the cramped and noisy quarters of the train and decompress. I don't feel the slightest bit burned out on the Pacific Northwest where I spent the bulk of my non-train time. In fact I feel like I've barely even seen it at all. But spending day after day, night after night, on train after train finally began to take its toll. Even when I laid down in my perfectly stationary hotel bed I could still hear the tracks and feel the motion of the train in my head. And then I think back to the even longer trip I had originally planned and wonder how I would have ever completed it without getting completely sick of it. Is there some sort of trick to managing super long train journeys or is it fairly common to get a little (or a lot) burned out after spending several days on the rails?

Can't wait to read a full report of your travels.

When we took the honeymoon trip, it worked out to 7 nights on a train and 6 nights in hotels (broken up into 3 train, 4 hotel, 1 train, 1 hotel, 3 train). I think that was a pretty good balance, I was ready to be home when we left LA (we went SWC, CL), but that was more a function of having been gone for so long than being on a train (the fact that the Chief was running late from AZ all the way to CHI causing me to worry about making our connection didn't help either). I am glad that we did the EB early in the trip and were "fresh" for it.

Would I do it again? For sure, I'd leave right now if I could. :D

the only time i have ever felt like enough was enough was really not because of the trip itself, or the scenery, but the actual train itself and the staff. I was on the eastbound LSL as the final leg of a great trip and so many things went wrong i just couldn't wait to get off that damn train! we were running really late, but no one would tell us why. the cafe car unexpectedly closed and no one told us why. the SCA was polite but pretty unhelpful and didn't seem to want to do much. plus the whole thing just felt run-down and dirty. i was in a bedroom and had to listen to the people next door bang into stuff every two minutes and shriek. not the most pleasant experience. otherwise, i love the trains and never want the trips to end!

I have never gotten sick and tired of trains themselves. The people who staff them, yes. The people who run freight railroads, yes. The rules and regulations that govern the rails, yes. A lack of staffing so we don't wait for a new crew, yes. But never the trains themselves. But then that is one reason why I ride in sleepers and carry my own stock of adult beverages! :blush: :blink: :lol: :eek: Nothing like a little grease for the wheels. :giggle: :giggle:

Also, I spend at least one night in a hotel between LD trip segments. Nothing like a hot shower, a big bed, a non-Amtrak meal and a good walk to get me ready for the next leg of my trip. And with a layover I basically never have to worry about whether I'll make my connecting train.

And with a layover I basically never have to worry about whether I'll make my connecting train.
Unless the train is 48+ hours late!
ohmy.gif
mosking.gif
unsure.gif

I am ready for long trips to end just for being sure everything is ok at home. Was I robbed? Did the apartment burn down? Was I evicted? Are those my TRAINS Magazines out in the front yard? Are two/three weeks of papers piled up at my door? Does the car refuse to start or, even better, has the battery been stolen? Are all tires flat including the spare?

Is all the food spoiled even that in cans? Have obscenities been spray painted on my car?

Things like that.

Yes, I get anxious. But then when I settle in, and I find that none of the above happened, then I get recharged with the beauty of the trip I just took.

Depends a lot on the trip. I took the train from Montreal to Syracuse a few weeks ago - bad decision! The Adirondack is a very scenic route, but 7 hours in an Amfleet 1 (especially with a limited cafe menu) is a long time. Then waiting around Schenectady (nasty little station) for 4 hours for a late train 49 was no fun. By the time we got to Syracuse 14 hours (to go 353 miles) after leaving Montreal, flying home from there to DC seemed appealing. After taking the train back to DC, I was quite sick of it, for sure.

On the other hand, I took the train from DC to Arizona and back in 2010 and that was fine. But that trip was broken up nicely, so we had breaks from the train.

Believe me I love trains and think they're by far the best way to travel, but I don't think I could do these long, long round about trips that some people (looking at you here Traveler :giggle: ) take. Sure, I've taken the scenic route before, such as the Cardinal or Lake Shore/Regional instead of the Capitol Limited, but I've never, say, gone to LAX to get to SEA, and I don't plan to.

Your trip sounds like paradise to me; I don't think I could ever get tired of train travel. I'm just finishing the full Texas Eagle route for the second time in 10 days, and feel as though I could easily do another few round trips without a break to detrain. Although, I will admit that I'd swap the Texas Eagle crews for the Empire Builder's or California Zephyr's in a heartbeat; it seems as though the TE consistently has some of the most lackluster folks working for Amtrak. I used to think the same about the Zephyr, but the CZ has really improved its personnel; maybe the Eagle will do the same!

I think passenger burnout would depend on two things: the route itself (scenic, interesting service stops, a staffed station now and again, etc) and the crews working the trains. Even there, it would take a seriously boring route and completely incompetent crew to make me overdose on rail.

I have done 4 coast to coast trips, in combinations of sleeper and coach. At some point(s) on each, I have grown weary of the scene and thought to myself, why am I doing this. But that never lasts, and once I am home, within a day or two I am enthusiastically recounting the trip to my friends and starting to fantasize about the next one.

A.J. your comments about the LSL ring particularly true - especially since that is normally the final leg of my long trips too.

I just got back from spending 10 of the last 14 days on Amtrak, covering 15 states before all was said and done and I'm already itching to get back out on the rails. Some of my friends are still trying to figure this out, wondering why I didn't fly instead. I told them most likely after they spend a day or 2 on board, they'll understand and hopefully get bit hard by the Rail Bug.

Check back with me after I return from the next Gathering, lol. So far, the most continuous train time I've had was on the Cap back in March, with the total time (not counting intentionally extending my layovers for various reasons) being about 26.5 hours for the whole STL-NYP run, and about 18 hours for the Cap itself because it was late into WAS. :(

Looking forward to your Trip Report Chris! My weariness on multiple leg LD Trips has been the result of riding in Coach, especially in an Amfleet, running very late with no info from the crew, lack of Shower/flat bed and poor scenery and occasionally unpleasnat people including crew members!

I Love the Loooooooong traveler type trips, :cool: would have loved to have made the trip you just made, but Ive found that breaking the trip up, with no more than two nights on the Train ,(ie Western LD Routes)really helps! Usually I try to stay in a Hostel or Good Deal Hotel(Id rather spend the $$$ on a Sleeper than give it to upscale hotel chains!!)

As to the Canadian, spending a night in the Rockies, perhaps even breaking up the trip in Winnipeg might be a good ides if the 4day/4 night trip is too long even on a jewel such as the Canadian! :wub:

Disclaimer: Of course Im going AUS-CHI-LAX-ALY-EMY on an early departure to the Gathering, then on the return SEA-EMY-GBB-SPI-AUS without breaking trhe trip up! :eek: ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
A.J. your comments about the LSL ring particularly true - especially since that is normally the final leg of my long trips too.
the funny thing is, I love the westbound LSL and have never had a single problem, bad SCA, or anything! life is strange. :) that one trip, though, made me not want to take the eastbound LSL ever again!

i haven't been on a trip since april (auto train, southbound) and all this talk is making me crazy for a trip!

I understand your issue myself. I've never traveled past Chicago, but just looking at the map, seeing trip reports, etc sometimes makes me wonder, "Why the heck do I do this?!?".

Don't get me wrong, I love going new places, seeing new scenery and new places. But after somepoint, the trees start looking the same. I'm excited to see what it will be like. I might stop in Wisconsin overnight to break up continual train travel, as well as to assure I don't have to rush with connections.

I feel for you man! The Canadian isn't really cheap and it takes a galaxy to travel from point A to point B. I applaud the person who wants to take that train with there hard earned money (AND take MORE trains after that). I will honestly say that I will NEVER ride the Canadian unless I get free tickets or something.

Depends a lot on the trip. I took the train from Montreal to Syracuse a few weeks ago - bad decision! The Adirondack is a very scenic route, but 7 hours in an Amfleet 1 (especially with a limited cafe menu) is a long time. Then waiting around Schenectady (nasty little station) for 4 hours for a late train 49 was no fun. By the time we got to Syracuse 14 hours (to go 353 miles) after leaving Montreal, flying home from there to DC seemed appealing. After taking the train back to DC, I was quite sick of it, for sure.

On the other hand, I took the train from DC to Arizona and back in 2010 and that was fine. But that trip was broken up nicely, so we had breaks from the train.

Believe me I love trains and think they're by far the best way to travel, but I don't think I could do these long, long round about trips that some people (looking at you here Traveler :giggle: ) take. Sure, I've taken the scenic route before, such as the Cardinal or Lake Shore/Regional instead of the Capitol Limited, but I've never, say, gone to LAX to get to SEA, and I don't plan to.
We've done the LAX-SEA round trip three times and are ready to do it again. Last October it was LAX-SAS-NOL-WAS-CHI-MSP-CHI-LAX. Two days at each stop.

When my wife and I came back from the Pacific Northwest, we were rerouted on the Coast Starlight to the CZ and then the Baby Builder back Red Wing as the flooding had shut down the EB after June 20 (we were on the last westbound train). While both the CS and CZ were wonderful trains, we were ready for a motel room in Chicago after the fourth day on a train the 9 hour delay into Chicago and poorly working A/C were the real culprits). The layover really helped and we didn't mind our final leg back on the Baby Builder. But, I can totally understand what you are talking about. It can be too much of a good thing sometimes, but breaking it up can really help.

Dan

Guys, I don't know if I can do a trip report on this one. Even though I've started feeling better over the last couple days I'm still pretty drained. The first half of the trip I was with a non-fanatical friend so I didn't focus on the train as much as I would have if it was just me. The second half of the trip was just me but that's when I started to get burned out on the whole thing. Plus there was a tiny bit of negative drama on the VIA portion that helped distract me from the train-specific aspects and speed up the burn-out process. I enjoyed the replies though. Thanks to everyone who commented. If I can get some sort of report going I'll be sure to post it. Right now it's coming out as a bunch of inane gobbledygook. Gotta find a way to get my groove back.

I'd say that I would probably get tired after 4-5 days straight on a train (i.e. without a noticeable layover)...so the Trans-Siberian Express might be a bit much for me, at least for now. That said, I haven't really hit the limit with trains...it's more the generic "I've been on vacation for X amount of time and I'd like to get home" feeling.

Guys, I don't know if I can do a trip report on this one. Even though I've started feeling better over the last couple days I'm still pretty drained. The first half of the trip I was with a non-fanatical friend so I didn't focus on the train as much as I would have if it was just me. The second half of the trip was just me but that's when I started to get burned out on the whole thing. Plus there was a tiny bit of negative drama on the VIA portion that helped distract me from the train-specific aspects and speed up the burn-out process. I enjoyed the replies though. Thanks to everyone who commented. If I can get some sort of report going I'll be sure to post it. Right now it's coming out as a bunch of inane gobbledygook. Gotta find a way to get my groove back.
Don't feel compelled to post a trip report immediately. I'm still working on mine (which will be posted as a blog) from our trip we took starting June 20th. Give yourself some time to decompress, deal with that pesky thing called 'life' and post when you're ready.

That's one of the downsides of taking really long trips. Trying to summarize them in writing can be quite overwhelming. Although I keep notes on my trips, its different when you need to translate it into something readable (and for me, that can be a challenge :ph34r: )

Dan

Overnight trips, hardly ever OD, X county trips, yup. I'm almost ALWAYS ready to "get off the damn tin can".

Best of both worlds would be, (As many on here do) travel a couple of nights, then "hotel-it", then a couple more nights, hotel again. I just don't have the time or money to travel that way right now. Maybe when the last of five kids are outa the house..... nah, then I'll have their college loans to guarantee........

Maybe Amtrak should consider retirees for use on-board. Kind of like "campground hosts".

Get to ride for free, but ya gotta "work". Oh the unions would eat that up, and of course the only retirees that would apply would be flamers like me, who'd rather open a bottle of wine, than make up beds.........

Has anyone ever done the Trans-Siberian and Baikal-Amur Mainline loop (assuming that's even possible, that is)?

I quit flying five years ago and have traveled by train since then, both coast to coast and shorter one-night trips. We are in our late 70s and retired, have traveled extensively all over the world, and know the vagaries of travel (ever ridden in an oxcart to your hotel because the road was too narrow for a vehicle?). It is a matter of rolling with the punches even when the bathrooms in your sleeper car quit working or your train is several hours late. I have to admit, the last leg of a four day train journey can be wearisome and we long to be home in our own beds. We do take the long distance train once a year from Southern California to South Carolina and back. We would not have it any other way. The magnificence of our great country, the change in scenery from one coast to another, the historic train stations in Los Angeles and Chicago and Washington, all of it is still thrilling to us. In the diner we have been seated with an author, a well-known actress, many delightful foreign visitors, a couple from our neighborhood whom we had never met before, and several serious, knowledgable train enthusiasts. Best of all, someone else is driving, makes up our bed, prepares our morning coffee and cooks our meals. Now that alone makes the trip worthwhile!

there was once when I thought I was sick of Amtrak after a long circle trip ended abruptly in CHI with a annulled connection and I HAD to get home the next day.. so I had to fly. When I got off the train I was like.. this SUX, to quote my 11 year old. And I turned down 2 coach seats they offered to Richmond (bedrooms were all sold out for the next week) but after a night in the hotel on Amtrak, i got up the next day and I totally regretted the flying home part. As did my son. We just got caught in a bad combination of a crappy Empire Builder crew.. actually just one guy, our SCA Saheed, and the disappointment of an annulled Cardinal with "no alternate transportation" As I fought our way through Midway Airport I was like I could have done one night in coach and called in sick....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back