Heartland Flyer Beats Storm

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer
While Oklahoma now begins to recover from one of its worst ice/snowstorms in history, the Heartland Flyer chugs along almost unaffected. Yesterday's return from FTW, during the most intense part of the storm was only about 45 minutes off and this morning it hit the detector near my house right on time. Meanwhile the OKC airport remains closed and road travel is still very difficult and dangerous.

Of course getting to and from the stations is another story :)

While Oklahoma now begins to recover from one of its worst ice/snowstorms in history, the Heartland Flyer chugs along almost unaffected. Yesterday's return from FTW, during the most intense part of the storm was only about 45 minutes off and this morning it hit the detector near my house right on time. Meanwhile the OKC airport remains closed and road travel is still very difficult and dangerous.
Glad to see ya'll survived another bad storm and the HF kept on ticking! Arkansas has not been so lucky, the Eagles in both directions lost lots of time,

guess the rails still havent recovered yet from the floods,freezes and derailments last couple of months! Also looks like the CZ and even the Chiefs are running into bad weather, now the NE is starting to get it! :( Time for Spring! ;)

FYI, Im gonna ride the Eagle to STL, catch the MORR to KCY and then take the dreaded overnight bus to OKC, ride the HF and Eagle back to AUS, hope the connection from OKC to the Chief happens in our lifetime! :rolleyes:

I've heard the overnight bus between KCY-OKC isn't the worst thing in the world (Jefferson I believe) but when you get into OKC, they hold you at the bus station for about an hour before taking you to the train station since there is no indoor waiting area. The OKC bus station on the other hand is a horror story!

OKL has no indoor train station?? What about ticketing/baggage? For a terminus/large city wouldn't they need at least an Amshack?

Well at least they've got the old grand station to start with, and maybe with the extension there will be money to staff it. Seems like a no-brainer you would staff all terminus points.

Except for FTW, none of the HF stations are staffed except for non Amtrak volunteers who open some of the stations, help pax with questions and perhaps offer coffee in the morning. For large luggage, I have seen the Conductor open the side storage hatch on one of the Superliner Coaches.

I've heard the overnight bus between KCY-OKC isn't the worst thing in the world (Jefferson I believe) but when you get into OKC, they hold you at the bus station for about an hour before taking you to the train station since there is no indoor waiting area. The OKC bus station on the other hand is a horror story!
I know the schedule says you are held at the Oklahoma City Union Bus Station. But every time I have taken it, the driver offers to drop you off at Amtrak-Santa Fe Station. If it is indeed locked, just go across the street to the Rennaisance Hotel. There is a Starbucks in there or have breakfast in the cafe until the station is open.

Glad to see ya'll survived another bad storm and the HF kept on ticking! Arkansas has not been so lucky, the Eagles in both directions lost lots of time,

guess the rails still havent recovered yet from the floods,freezes and derailments last couple of months! Also looks like the CZ and even the Chiefs are running into bad weather, now the NE is starting to get it! :( Time for Spring! ;)

FYI, Im gonna ride the Eagle to STL, catch the MORR to KCY and then take the dreaded overnight bus to OKC, ride the HF and Eagle back to AUS, hope the connection from OKC to the Chief happens in our lifetime! :rolleyes:
The CONO has be affected as well. Saturday's southbound was running about 2 hours late in Hammond, LA. Although not because of the ice storms, the northbound was also delayed at the Pass Manchac bridge between Hammond and New Orleans. Due to high winds, the drawbridge was not able to close properly. It took about an hour to get the bridge to close and align properly with the rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back