HEARTLAND FLYER threatened

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Fort Worth, TX Star-Telegram, 12/13/04:

End of the line could be near for Heartland Flyer
It has long been reported that Amtrak's Heartland Flyer, which operates daily between Fort Worth and Oklahoma City, is subsidized by about $800,000 a year from the Oklahoma state government.
This story is here.

Of course, if you're not from Oklahoma (or can't demonstrate that you spend a significant amount of your money there), the OK state legislature probably isn't going to give a rodent's rear end about what you think.

What you can do is write your own congressional representatives urging a funding formula for intercity rail similar to what is available for other modes of transportation, so that states that actually want to start their own intercity service can have federal dollars available as a match.

Ultimately, it will be up to Oklahoma to continue to fund the Heartland Flyer, as there's no money in Amtrak's budget to take over operation of this train. But, it makes for a perfect example of how things could be better if the federal government wasn't so hostile to rail.

rmadisonwi said:
Of course, if you're not from Oklahoma (or can't demonstrate that you spend a significant amount of your money there), the OK state legislature probably isn't going to give a rodent's rear end about what you think.
Thats not realy a true they do listen to people outside there State.it doesn't mater which State you live in all's you have to do is call and e mail these people.

Every time I take the Heartland Flyer to Oklahoma City (I live in the DFW area), I write a physical letter (not e-mail) to the governor listing where I went and what I spent. I always get a form letter response of thanks in about 6 weeks.

The folks in OK need to plan a series of rallies in every city the HF serves, making OK City the last stop. Line up a caravan of vehicles decorated in posters and balloons, pass out literature, and get the word out. At some point the state leadership will have to perk up and listen!

Back