Heat in superliner roomettes/bedrooms?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on a 7/Empire Builder, on my way back to Seattle. This is my third/worst round in a superliner - in none of my superliner rooms/ettes have I been able to get the air coming out of the vent to be warm instead of cold. I'm aware of where the temperature dial is and I have it cranked all the way up. Any tricks, like maybe an additional control I'm not saying, or something that has to be enabled by Amtrak personnel as well?

(I'm wearing three layers of merino wool, a hat, heavy cashmere pashmina, merino leggings, and heavy wool socks… With two of Amtrak's blankets and my down puffer parka over me as well... still shivering so badly that my muscles hurt, and my hands won't move properly, with a day and a half of my trip left to endure, outside temperature is forecast to be much, much lower tomorrow in ND/MD than what's currently happening outsideAnd that scares me. The one leg of the trip I spent in a Vewliner was blissfully warm once I turned up the dial, so i'm hoping maybe it's possible to get the temperature up in here as well…?)

The heat control activates a heater under the window--sometimes. The heat control does nothing for the temperature of the air coming out of the vent. It is sometimes possible to control the amount of air coming out of the vent.

Have you told your Sleeping Car Attendant you are cold? He or she might be able to adjust the temperature higher.

Last edited:
under window is cold air as well; Ceiling vent is as close as I could get it to be already. attendant was not helpful, so at least sympathetic I think, as he seemed pretty busy. Sorry for any typos, iPad not consistently Responding to icy fingers. actually considered bringing a mylar sleeping bag but decided not to because it seemed a little paranoid… Now regretting my decision :( thanks!

Think about what you brought...did you bring ANYTHING that could cover the upper vent? If not, you should be able to close it off at least somewhat with the lever in the vent itself.

Otherwise, ask for the conductor. He/she might be able to help out and force the SCA to do something about the issue. Last September we had a leg where quite a few pax were complaining about the sleeper being cold (especially in the roomettes) so the SCA turned off the a/c for a bit. The car got very uncomfortable very quickly and the a/c was restored. There is a way to heat the car better.

When new 40 years ago, heating in Superliner roomettes was dismal, especially when it was below zero outside. I froze to death on #7 & 8 a couple of times per year back then. Like the OP, wearing long johns and an overcoat, cap, and gloves to bed was necessary. There were a couple of times it was cold enough to see my own breathe in a roomette! But back in the 'bad old dates' before HEP, Amfleet, and Superliners, steam lines routinely froze up and there was zero heat in the entire car. I endured that a number of times, too.

Fortunately, they've had a lot of time to fix the problems. But as a passenger, I've found that the 'temperature' dial in the Superliners is somewhere between 'decoration' and 'propaganda' or 'wishful thinking'...Winter and Summer! It's very slow to 'react', measured in hours. And then, maybe a 2 or 3 degree change. Oftentimes, the hallway is warmer in winter and cooler in summer. When that happens, I simply leave the door open and keep the curtain closed. I'm also convinced that the SCA has some control over the general temperature range. But those controls are behind a locked cabinet door on the lower level. Maybe I'll have find something like 'lock picking 101' on Youtube and figure it out someday.

For what it's worth, my biggest complaint in the Superliners is the position of the overhead light control. #2 is the **** poor heating/cooling 'level of control'. Perhaps if they ever come up with Superliner IIIs, they'll mimic the controls in the Viewliners.

Be careful what you wish for... one train I was on the passengers insisted that the conductor turn on the heat, he said it would be floor heat and it would get too hot... they still insisted, he did and it did. Passengers propped the end doors open and I got sick from the cold air blowing in on me.

Aha! Small tightly woven silk pillowcase + most of the rest of the 30' long, narrow duct tape roll I brought that hasn't already been used to keep my usb charger attached to loose electrical outlets throughout this trip. I'm 5'4" and have never fully appreciated my extremely long arms until this evening :)

THANK YOU F900ElCapitan!! still suboptimal, but at least I'm not shivering and my hands can move well again :)

The PCA seemed a bit put upon when I brought this up with him, so I didn't pursue it very far, and have no idea how I can get hold of a conductor except through the PCA. granted, I think the PCA was already feeling a bit impatient with me because I'm mobility impaired and had trouble/took time getting to the second floor bedroom that Amtrak assigned me to despite knowing about the disability... since I'm traveling alone and depending on him to bring food and fluids to my room for a while longer I don't want to push too hard.

Aha! Small tightly woven silk pillowcase + most of the rest of the 30' long, narrow duct tape roll I brought that hasn't already been used to keep my usb charger attached to loose electrical outlets throughout this trip. I'm 5'4" and have never fully appreciated my extremely long arms until this evening :)

THANK YOU F900ElCapitan!! still suboptimal, but at least I'm not shivering and my hands can move well again :)

The PCA seemed a bit put upon when I brought this up with him, so I didn't pursue it very far, and have no idea how I can get hold of a conductor except through the PCA. granted, I think the PCA was already feeling a bit impatient with me because I'm mobility impaired and had trouble/took time getting to the second floor bedroom that Amtrak assigned me to despite knowing about the disability... since I'm traveling alone and depending on him to bring food and fluids to my room for a while longer I don't want to push too hard.

Congratulations Stephanie, you did it!! And you're more than welcome for the idea. I also have to give a lot of credit to some of the great advice I received on this forum about what to pack and bring with me for sleeper travel. Also, at night, it might sound weird but lower the top bunk, it too might block some of the airflow and give you a warmer place to sleep.

If you still want/need the conductor, they will be moving through the car from time to time. They usually have a utility belt with a bunch of keys, a radio, and a handful of paperwork which will set them apart from the rest of the OBS crew. Listen for the radio and the keys.

:) Rigged a second pillowcase using far less tape for an incremental improvement.The little holes under the window are still spewing cold air so even if I had more tape and a third layer or actual cardboard or thick plastic etc, I doubt there's much more improvement to be had. Not sure I'll ever do this again, buf if I do, I'll be carrying

- TWO rolls mini duct tape
- Several pre-cut sheets of thick plastic tarp
- Mylar emergency sleeping bag and/or blanket
- Fingerless alpaca gloves
- Single-use rip-open heat packs
- Cauldryn heated mug plus battery pack and plug-in base (already have with me)
- Lots of powdered hot beverages besides the Starbucks VIA that I have on this trip so I can have a warm beverage at pretty much any hour if needed (I had some ginger honey beverage crystals as well but used them up a few days ago)

Don't know how you made your reservation, but if you call an agent, he or she will tell you which rooms are on the lower level and you can choose one of those.

:) Rigged a second pillowcase using far less tape for an incremental improvement.The little holes under the window are still spewing cold air so even if I had more tape and a third layer or actual cardboard or thick plastic etc, I doubt there's much more improvement to be had. Not sure I'll ever do this again, buf if I do, I'll be carrying

- TWO rolls mini duct tape
- Several pre-cut sheets of thick plastic tarp
- Mylar emergency sleeping bag and/or blanket
- Fingerless alpaca gloves
- Single-use rip-open heat packs
- Cauldryn heated mug plus battery pack and plug-in base (already have with me)
- Lots of powdered hot beverages besides the Starbucks VIA that I have on this trip so I can have a warm beverage at pretty much any hour if needed (I had some ginger honey beverage crystals as well but used them up a few days ago)

One thing most people on here recommend is a good roll of gaffers tape. It doesn’t hold quite a well as duct tape, but it’s good enough and it doesn’t leave residue. I’ve also carried some cardboard, it’s lightweight and also blocks air and light very well.

I’m taking 8 in February, the idea about the heat packs is great! My wife has issues with keeping her extremities warm so having some will be a must.

I hope the remainder of your trip goes well!! In my view, even with all the pitfalls, Amtrak is still one of the best ways to see the country and relax doing it.

Sorry to hear about this problem and I hope your trip improves.

I have traveled many times on trains in the winter, mostly in Canada, by coach and sleeper in both steam heat days and electric heat days and have never had a problem except for a coach on the Montrealer around 1974 when the heat would not shut off.

Although it is too late now, I recall the advice from the sleeping car attendant on No. 7 on a trip in May a few years ago:

"Don't ever travel on this train in the winter."

Ouch, really now our standards are so low heat packs are recommended items when traveling by train.

Two different heating system on the Superliners, sound like only one is turn on. Above the crew pay grade to turn on both system after the sunset sets, and of course turn it off after the sun comes out? The baseboard system can over heat the room if it’s not extremely cold outside.

Last edited:
I carry a piece of cardboard and gaffer's tape to cover off the vent if it is blowing too much cold air. I also bring my own blanket, although we have seen on the forum here new bedding that Amtrak is getting and the blankets look more substantial.

I don't travel by train as much as some here, but my experience has been that the cars are usually comfortable. There was one issue with lack of heat in the Sightseer Lounge on an Empire Builder traversing sub-zero territory, and that car was pretty much out of commission.

Last edited:
My experience with Amtrak has been the exact opposite of this thread. Freezing in summer but sweltering in winter. I strongly prefer the freezing situation since I'm warm blooded and can easily pile on more clothing to reach a comfortable state. I have no idea what I'm supposed do when the SCA sets the heater on plasma and refuses to budge on the temperature. If someone thinks the Conductor is going to "force" the SCA to change heater settings...good luck with that.

My experience with Amtrak has been the exact opposite of this thread. Freezing in summer but sweltering in winter. I strongly prefer the freezing situation since I'm warm blooded and can easily pile on more clothing to reach a comfortable state. I have no idea what I'm supposed do when the SCA sets the heater on plasma and refuses to budge on the temperature. If someone thinks the Conductor is going to "force" the SCA to change heater settings...good luck with that.
I have had the same experience. I always bring layers - just in case, but have had to sleep with my door open in the past when it gets too warm. I recently traveled cross country on the California Zephyr and Empire Builder. Since I expected extremely cold temperatures outside, I packed hand warmers and extra layers with me. I did not need them inside. In fact, I thought the California Zephyr was extremely warm on the first day and I was down to a tank top. The temperatures outside when traveling on the Empire Builder in ND and MN were in single digits, but the train was comfortable (for me). Snow and ice in the vestibules was an interesting challenge for this Floridian.

We are returning from a trip and for the first time, in handicap rooms. Th superliner H room doors want to slide open when in motion and you are out of room as they have a way to inhibit accidental closing but not opening so temperature controls are meaningless.

I travel mostly in the late summer early fall on one of the west coast trains to Chicago, DC and on home to Florida. Most of my experience has been the cold temps in my bedroom. I always have tape and a pizza box top. My layers are everything from shorts and a t shirt to thermal underwear and a sweatshirt. These are clothes I normally need anyway. Where I stay in the mountains in summer it can be 80 one day and 30 the next morning. Kinda like the train.

Here's my feeble thoughts about gaffer's tape vs. duct tape. Low (non?) residue gaffer's tape is much more expensive than duct tape: https://www.homedepot.com/s/gaffer's%20tape?NCNI-5 In addition, it's much harder to find. In a perfect world, no tape should be needed to keep a sleeper at a reasonably comfortable temperature. So if tape is required, do I really care if duct (Gorilla) tape leaves a residue?

No I don't!

We are returning from a trip and for the first time, in handicap rooms. Th superliner H room doors want to slide open when in motion and you are out of room as they have a way to inhibit accidental closing but not opening so temperature controls are meaningless.

You can add friction to the Superliner H-room door so you can open and close it from inside or outside and it will stay where you put it. Two ways I've used: slide a hangar a little into the sliding door pocket; fold a towel and slide it under the door.

It’s just so ridiculous that after paying hundreds of dollars per night to travel in Amtrak’s “premium” sleeping accommodations — passengers have to carry cardboard and duct tape to make repairs. Repairs in this case that bordered on a life safety issue. On top of that, the SCAs, the people who should be helping with these problems, act inconvenienced when passengers ask for help.

Would you be willing to spend hundreds of dollars per night for a “premium” hotel room to have to pack duct tape and cardboard to make your own repairs? Of course not. If you encountered a major issue like that, the hotel would send an employee to make a repair, or they would accommodate you in another room. Even a bargain hotel, like a Motel 6 would do the same thing.

There are no good excuses for Amtrak here. and it’s shameful that Amtrak makes us do DIY repairs.

Last edited:
You can add friction to the Superliner H-room door so you can open and close it from inside or outside and it will stay where you put it. Two ways I've used: slide a hangar a little into the sliding door pocket; fold a towel and slide it under the door.
Another intriguing method of adding comfort and alleviating one of the nuisances associated with our favorite method of transportation.

Last edited:
Here's my feeble thoughts about gaffer's tape vs. duct tape. Low (non?) residue gaffer's tape is much more expensive than duct tape: https://www.homedepot.com/s/gaffer's%20tape?NCNI-5 In addition, it's much harder to find. In a perfect world, no tape should be needed to keep a sleeper at a reasonably comfortable temperature. So if tape is required, do I really care if duct (Gorilla) tape leaves a residue? No I don't!
My own gaffers tape cost less than ten dollars and will easily last me two lifetimes of Amtrak service. Hard to see that as some sort of financial burden when a typical sleeper rarely dips below $650 RT.

It’s just so ridiculous that after paying hundreds of dollars per night to travel in Amtrak’s “premium” sleeping accommodations — passengers have to carry cardboard and duct tape to make repairs. On top of that, the SCAs, the people who should be helping with these problems, act inconvenienced when passengers ask for help. Would you be willing to spend hundreds of dollars per night for a hotel room to have to pack duct tape and cardboard to make your own repairs? So why do we do the same on Amtrak?
I don't think the use of tape and cardboard is the problem. I think the problem is that we're so used to needing tape and cardboard we no longer call it in to customer relations and thus nobody has a record of it. Hard to fix an entrenched problem when the top brass rarely have to hear about it.

Here's my feeble thoughts about gaffer's tape vs. duct tape. Low (non?) residue gaffer's tape is much more expensive than duct tape: https://www.homedepot.com/s/gaffer's%20tape?NCNI-5 In addition, it's much harder to find. In a perfect world, no tape should be needed to keep a sleeper at a reasonably comfortable temperature. So if tape is required, do I really care if duct (Gorilla) tape leaves a residue?

No I don't!

I use a roll of “paint” tape which works well and leaves no residue. Cost wise? Not sure how it compares to duct tape or gaffers tape but I’ve been using the same roll for 3 years and still have a lot left so cost not really an issue.

I had a problem with runaway heat from the floor heater in a roomette on the Empire Builder one December such that the room was unbearably hot even with door open. Strangely, the problem only was affecting roomettes 1&2 (I had 2).

The attendant offered me the option of taking the handicapped room in the same car, where the floor heat had failed entirely and whose occupant had been moved because of the heating failure. With the offering of extra blankets, I took it. Bear in mind this is in the SAME car.

I was much more comfortable with no heat and extra blankets than I was in a roomette that was doing a good imitation of a toaster. And the temperature at Minot was 4°.

Amtrak shouldn't have ongoing maintenance issues like heating or toilets, but they do and have for a long, long time. It is not a new issue.

Back