Hello again

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi! My name is Tamara. I had another account here once, but posted only one time, and lost my sign-in information. :(

I've lurked here a lot, though!

Anyway, as it is I've experienced a LOT more train travel since the last time I posted.

Since 2009, I've been on:

The Empire Builder (Portland to Miwaukee, Chicago to Seattle)

Coast Starlight (L.A. to Seattle, a couple of times)

Pacific Surfliner (a couple of times)

Acela Express (just once, but my husband and I had first class seats -- that was a blast!)

Northwest Regional (two or three times)

Silver Star (three times? maybe four?)

Capitol Limited (once)

Lake Shore Limited (once)

Sunset Limited (twice)

The City of New Orleans (once, and I was asleep for most of it :( )

Plus my local route (The Cascades) a few times, and a couple of additional VERY short rides on the Coast Starlight (from Tacoma to Olympia) if I couldn't catch the Cascades that day!

It feels like more, but I guess that's all. :D

I'm about to embark on another cross-country railroad adventure ... this time, it's a trip with MANY purposes, the main purpose being that I'm going to write a book! I'm a Stage IV cancer survivor (stable right now) so even though I'm only 32, I'd like to attempt a "memoir." But I don't want it to be just any memoir; I also plan to incorporate my love of the railroad!

(So, it will be part "cancer memoir"/part train travelogue :D )

My working title is "Surviving the Journey: Letters from the Railroad." I'm not hoping or looking for a best-seller with this -- I plan to self-publish. If I'm successful in publishing, however, it will be something to leave behind for friends and family, and maybe it will interest a few others. AND I can say that I accomplished my bucket list goal of publishing a book!

The link below includes more about my project. I hope I'm not violating terms because it is technically a fundraising link (though most of the money pledged goes right into Amtrak tickets!). By no means am I soliciting your "pledges", though. I just thought the link might be of some interest. If you have any tips, ideas, suggestions for the cross-country trip, I would appreciate hearing them!

And if you feel inspired, PLEASE feel free to share the link elsewhere. Maybe someday I will be able to post about my finished book. :)

Thanks for reading!

-tamara

Surviving the Journey: Letters from the Railroad

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back! And congratulations Tamara on being a cancer survivor!
smile.gif

With all the trips you posted in the past, and the ones in the future, I hope you were/are earning AGR credit for them! If you are not an AGR member, send me a PM and I'll be glad to refer you!

Hi! Tamara I am new on here, Just signed on tonight at 7:00pm. I may be new here but not new to Amtrak. I the last 10 years I have been on the

Empire Builder

Zepher

Southwest Chief

Cardinal and Hoosier State

Atlantic Cost

Lenny

Back