Hello all

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdcnosse

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
So I kinda forgot about this whole introducing myself thing...not sure why. Nonetheless my name is James, and I'm from a small city near Grand Rapids, MI. I'm 22 years old, and I've been on a couple trains so far in my life. There's a small excursion train that goes between my city and a neighboring community during the summer that I've been on, and then I remember shortly after 9/11 we took the train from either Grand Rapids or East Lansing to Toronto, ON (crossing at Port Huron/Sarnia). I distinctly remember our trip back as US Customs didn't want anyone one the train when it went through the tunnel, for fear of a terrorist attack, so we all had to get off the train, get on a bus, go across and go through US Customs before getting back on the bus and subsequently the train. I've also been to Chicago for a day trip and to Flagstaff twice via the Southwest Chief.

I've always been fascinated with trains, and I even have a Walt Disney World monorail that runs around in my room. I want to take a trip to miniatur wunderland in Hamburg, Germany because they have a huge model train set, as well as a fully working model airport and other models. My first LD trip was actually to go meet my girlfriend. I remember I had to get up fairly early since there's only one train from GRR to CHI, the Pere Marquette #371, and it leaves at 7:35am EDT.

My next trip will hopefully be to Flagstaff again, as I plan on going to school down there

Also, almost completely forgot, but I'm sure people are wondering what the heck my avatar is of. There was a cartoon show on Nickelodeon when I was a kid called Invader Zim, The series revolves around an extraterrestrial named Zim from the planet Irk, and his ongoing mission to conquer and destroy a dark and satirical version of Earth. His various attempts to subjugate and destroy the human race are invariably undermined by some combination of his own ineptitude, his malfunctioning robot servant GIR, and his arch-nemesis Dib, one of very few humans attentive enough to be aware of Zim's identity. Essentially the hamster from my avatar was the plot of one episode, and was named Peepi.

Welcome James!
hi.gif
As they say on Amtrak,

Better late than never!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

As far as your avatar, I thought you snapped a photo of me!
mosking.gif
(But I knew it couldn't be - I don't look that good!)

Welcome James. I think your Avatar is very cute - and it does look like the_traveler. :lol:

I love Flagstaff. I like that museum north of town. BTW~ there used to be a restaurant in the east end of Flagstaff that has a model train going around the wall.

Are you going to the University of Northern Arizona?

I love Flagstaff. I like that museum north of town. BTW~ there used to be a restaurant in the east end of Flagstaff that has a model train going around the wall.

IIRC, the UNA students are called "Lumberjacks" and deservedly so. They show up in Flag and tear the place up on occassion...

I don't think I've ever heard it called that, I believe the university's official name is Northern Arizona University (NAU) but yes I plan on going there. My girlfriend actually goes there as well, so it'll finally end the long-distance part of our relationship. Not that I don't mind the train rides across the country to go visit her, but I can always do that when I come back home lol

Back