Hello from PA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA Traveler

Service Attendant
My husband and I have recently begun to take more of an interest in traveling on Amtrak. We have in the past traveled along the Eastern Corridor and from Vancouver to Seattle. Last year, we made our first major Amtrak trip and loved it. We went from Pittsburgh to Chicago on the CL. We then took the EB to Glacier National Park, stayed there for a few days, and then got back on the train and finished up in Seattle. There, we rented a car. We went to Olympic National Park, Crater Lake, Oregon; and back to Mt. St. Helens, spending time before and after our drives in Seattle. We then took the trains back to Pittsburgh.

In the fall a few weeks later, we went down to Washington, D.C., for the Stewart/Colbert Rally on the CL. It was a lovely fall trip, lot of gorgeous color.

For June we have planned a trip to Yellowstone National Park and The Grand Tetons, also on Amtrak. We are taking the train to Chicago and then transferring to the CZ to Salt Lake City. Arrival and departure times in Salt Lake City are less than ideal, but we'll make it work. Arrival and departures from Pittsburgh are less than ideal, too, but at least we are close to home.

Also, in the past we've done other train trips. We have been on most of the Alaskan RR, except for the part that goes from Anchorage to Talkeetna, but it just goes pretty much along the Parks Highway, so that's okay. A few years ago we rode the Copper Canyon RR in Mexico from Creel to El Fuerte and back. That's a beautiful trip. In Europe we took the TEE from Zurich to Milan. Two years ago we took a cruise up the Inside Passage just to ride the White Pass and Yukon RR. It's easier to take the cruise ship up there than it is to drive from Anchorage to Skagway. We usually rent a car and do our own thing in Alaska, but that's a lot of driving back and forth. We did a train trip out of Vancouver, but neither of us can remember the name of the train. We took a boat up to Squamish and then took the steam train back to Vancouver. We have also taken the train down to Machu Picchu in Peru.

My husband has always been a huge train buff, and I have always enjoyed any of the trips we've done, so I guess I'd say I'm a big fan, too. I may have forgotten a few train trips that we've made over the years, but I think I hit on the major ones.

We really enjoyed the trip on the EB last year. We traveled in Roomettes, found the food and company to be good. Actually, we met several people that I've seen post on here on that trip and on the one to DC. And I was told about this site by someone returning on the EB. We found that many people are enthusiastic about traveling on Amtrak, and we concur. It's just a shame that more money isn't put into rail travel in this country. I am sure there's a good market out there, especially with the hassle of flying these days. It's part of what spurred us to plan the trip out to Seattle last year.

I have been lurking here since we got back from our trip to Seattle last September and I've enjoyed reading about other people's trips and reading the information provided by members. I'll try to check in often.

Welcome to the best on-line forum going, nice trips, I'm envious and ive been on most except the South America,Alaskaa and European trains! As you say the calling times are not ideal on lots of LD trains but someone has to get the o-dark-thirty calling times! ;) (beats not having any trains like lots of places we live in this grand land!)Look forward to your contributions, Im sure you dont want to be confused with our resident AGR Guru, the_traveler! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!
hi.gif

Im sure you dont want to be confused with our resident AGR Guru, the_traveler! :lol:
Speaking of you know who!
mosking.gif

And the name of the steam train from Squamish was the Royal Hudson! I miss it too, and wish it still ran, but no more!
sad.gif

With all your trips, I hope you both belong to Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR)! If not, you should!
smile.gif
If you're not, and would like a referral to AGR, send me a PM (Private Message).

Welcome!
hi.gif

Im sure you dont want to be confused with our resident AGR Guru, the_traveler! :lol:
Speaking of you know who!
mosking.gif

And the name of the steam train from Squamish was the Royal Hudson! I miss it too, and wish it still ran, but no more!
sad.gif

With all your trips, I hope you both belong to Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR)! If not, you should!
smile.gif
If you're not, and would like a referral to AGR, send me a PM (Private Message).
Aloha

Only looked briefly but this link to their home page seems to ms suggest it still runs at least as recently as last September.. Dave Ameral from Vancouver who joined the Fest for one day brought me a picture of the RH when he visited Vegas in November

I hope you're right Eric, but most of those dates are from 2006 and 2007. I do know it was restored for the Olympics in 2010, but I thought they stopped running the route to Squamish. I would love to take 2860 again!
cool.gif

Back