Here We Go Again

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EmpireBuilderFan1976

Service Attendant
Just received this email from the NARP. These attacks on Amtrak by State Senators is getting old! They just don't "get it"...

To narprail.org users, September 8, 2006--

S. 1516, the bipartisan rail passenger reauthorization, apparently has

a

good chance of reaching the Senate floor next Friday, September 15.

Votes on

amendments and passage could come Monday, Sept. 18, or everything could

slip

a few days.

Two bad amendments are likely: one by John Sununu (R-NH) would aim to

kill

the long-distance network by requiring Amtrak to discontinue trains

that

lose more than a certain amount of money per passenger, the other by

Jeff

Sessions (R-AL) would strike language aimed at facilitating reduction

of

Amtrak’s debt.

Call your Senators and urge them to 1) support S.1516, but 2) oppose

the

Sununu anti-long distance and Sessions debt amendments.

You may use our toll-free Congressional Action hotline at

1-800-679-1581.

When prompted, enter our access code: 1189. Please make this call

during

normal Senate business hours which are generally 9am to 5pm, Eastern

Daylight Time. After responding to the voice prompt to enter your

zipcode,

please press “1â€, then after completing the first call, press

“2†to

connect to your Senators’ offices (do not contact your House member

at

this time)

We will update the Action Alert section of our web site

<http://www.narprail.org> as more information because available.

--Ross B. Capon

NARP Executive Director

While S. 1516 is important, what concerns me is the cancellation of the Superliner 1 rebuild program. Re-authorization will do no good when the cars wear out with no overhauls or replacements in sight. The future looks dim indeed. What with the Executive branch in full control of the Amtrak board, with the new Chairman in place, it looks as though the strategy to dispense with Amtrak is to let the equipment gradually wear out and become less and less desirable. I will be sorry to see it all wear out, and very sorry to watch it all go. :angry: :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:
While S. 1516 is important, what concerns me is the cancellation of the Superliner 1 rebuild program. Re-authorization will do no good when the cars wear out with no overhauls or replacements in sight. The future looks dim indeed. What with the Executive branch in full control of the Amtrak board, with the new Chairman in place, it looks as though the strategy to dispense with Amtrak is to let the equipment gradually wear out and become less and less desirable. I will be sorry to see it all wear out, and very sorry to watch it all go. :angry: :glare:
WICT,

Where did you see/hear that the Superliner I rebuild program had been cancelled? That's one that I've not heard yet.

Of course as I've already mentioned in a few different posts, the rebuild program isn't/wasn't what it should have been. It was only replacing the upholstery and things like that. The core components of the cars, electrical, plumbing, heating and A/C, and such was not being rebuilt. :(

See the June 2006 report under "Other Reports." The Cheif Mechanical Officer's report begins on page 48. The remanufacturing of the Superliner Ones is listed as cancelled.

In several ways, this is like the Brosnan Trap of the Southern Railroad of the 1950s-1960s : make the service unappealing. Then the Administration will have their excuse to terminate the LD network.

See the June 2006 report under "Other Reports." The Cheif Mechanical Officer's report begins on page 48. The remanufacturing of the Superliner Ones is listed as cancelled.
In several ways, this is like the Brosnan Trap of the Southern Railroad of the 1950s-1960s : make the service unappealing. Then the Administration will have their excuse to terminate the LD network.
Hmm, very interesting. I hadn't noticed that note. :(

Well at least they turned out 41 cars, which is over 3/4's of the Superliner I sleeper fleet of 60 active cars. I do hope that they finish 32039 which was in progress at the time of cancellation.

This is for the remainder of this fiscal year and only applies to the Sleeper remanufacture program. Sixteen of eighteen sleepers were rebuilt and that one program went over budget for the FY. So they elected to cancel that work for the rest of the year (which ends 9/30/06).

So, if we are going to quote this one area to show how bad things are, lets look at this as well:

Superliner I overhauls completed in June- 7; and since October - 45

Superliner II overhauls completed in June: 8; and since October - 68

Wrecked cars repaired and returned to service in June: 3; and since October - 8

Plus a total of 62 Amfleets have been similarly worked since October 1.

All programs except for the Superliner I Sleeper program are on-going for the rest of the FY. That hardly seems like a program sinisterly designed to let the fleet go to seed.

Please notify your senators to oppose this. This should fail.

The idea that people of color, workers, elderly, and environmentalists travel long-distance with government subsidies actually bothers these people.

Please notify your senators to oppose this. This should fail.
The idea that people of color, workers, elderly, and environmentalists travel long-distance with government subsidies actually bothers these people.
While I can agree that this is nothing but politics, it is a lot of BS to even suggest it is a planned attack against minorities, women, working people, etc. How in the world did you surmise it as a deliberate attack or oppression of the people? While it is true that the current administration is no fan of Amtrak, we must also accept one other fact. While there are many supporters of Amtrak (on both sides of the aisle) and many people that ride the rails, there are more people that do not ride the rails, do not support Amtrak or are just indifferent. The biggest percentage of Americans could care one way or another if Amtrak exist . I suppose a pro-Amtrak position by any Senator would be a appeal to the Ultra-left wing. :huh:

I'm sorry but you continuously attack the Republican Party as Fascist, oppressors and racist while spouting

communist propaganda views and I cannot keep silent any longer. This is a rail fan forum and has no place for left or right wing politics. I believe you can post your disagreements of the policies of the Administration regarding Amtrak without the offending attacks.

I apologize to the forum for this post but enough of the attacks from this member is enough.....

Last edited:
This is a rail fan forum and has no place for left or right wing politics. I believe you can post your disagreements of the policies of the Administration regarding Amtrak without the offending attacks.
You are quite correct, Observer, this is a railfan forum first and formost. Yes sadly politics plays a role in pretty much everything we do these days, and therefore it does have an impact on Amtrak. But we must all follow Observer's request to avoid out and out attacks on one party or another. Things like posting a politicians track record with Amtrak are acceptable, or their recent vote on a bill, or their promoting an anti-Amtrak bill. However, lumping an entire party into a category is not acceptable. Especially since it has been proven time and time again here on this forum, that neither party has an impressive track record when it comes to Amtrak.

I apologize to those members that might have been insulted by the original post that I didn't consider editing it sooner, I can only plead impaired judgement from too much wine when I first read it last night. I have since edited out much of the offending remarks and I thank Observer for bringing it back to my attention and consideration.

The biggest percentage of Americans could care one way or another if Amtrak exist .
Actually the last time a survey was conducted, and I'll admit that the survey is now several years old, a majority of Americans did support the continued existance of Amtrak. Sadly many of those supporting Amtrak also said that they would probably never ride Amtrak, but that doesn't change the fact that at least as of that latest survey, a simple majority did support Amtrak.

The biggest percentage of Americans could care one way or another if Amtrak exist .
Actually the last time a survey was conducted, and I'll admit that the survey is now several years old, a majority of Americans did support the continued existence of Amtrak. Sadly many of those supporting Amtrak also said that they would probably never ride Amtrak, but that doesn't change the fact that at least as of that latest survey, a simple majority did support Amtrak.
You know Alan, I would be interested to know where and how this survey was conducted. If it was in the NEC or even the large urban areas where passenger rail service is common I would have no doubt. However out in the vast regions of our country that have no rail service close by I would expect the vote to go the other way. I think many support the existence of Amtrak for historical purpose of having a rail road but would not pull money out of their own pockets to "Support" it. I myself would have fallen into that category a few years ago.....

Actually the last time a survey was conducted, and I'll admit that the survey is now several years old, a majority of Americans did support the continued existence of Amtrak. Sadly many of those supporting Amtrak also said that they would probably never ride Amtrak, but that doesn't change the fact that at least as of that latest survey, a simple majority did support Amtrak.
You know Alan, I would be interested to know where and how this survey was conducted. If it was in the NEC or even the large urban areas where passenger rail service is common I would have no doubt. However out in the vast regions of our country that have no rail service close by I would expect the vote to go the other way. I think many support the existence of Amtrak for historical purpose of having a rail road but would not pull money out of their own pockets to "Support" it. I myself would have fallen into that category a few years ago.....
BD,

I believe that it was conducted nationwide, although I won't swear to it. And as I mentioned it is an older poll, perhaps 10 to 15, maybe even 20 years old now. At one point the results of the poll was still on the NARP site. I'm not sure if it is still there, since they redid the site about a year ago or so. I haven't gone looking for it, but you may get lucky if you wander through things.

I decided to actually go look to see what polls were out there. I've heard folks reference "polls" in general, but I hadn't done that particular bit of research, and I had a few minutes, soooooooooooo:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Harris Poll #14, February 8, 2006

This was conducted online by Harris Interactive® between December 8 and 14, 2005.

Americans Would Like to See a Larger Share of Passengers and Freight Going

By Rail in Future

From: http://www.gatago.com/misc/transport/rail/...as/4118185.html

Key findings include:

The modes of transportation which the largest numbers of adults would like

to see "have an increasing share of passenger transportation" are:

€ Commuter trains (44%)

€ Long-distance trains (35%)

€ Local bus service (23%), and

€ Airlines (23%)

The transportation modes which the smallest numbers of adults would like

to see have a bigger share of passenger traffic are:

€ Long-distance bus service (6%)

€ Pedestrian travel (8%)

€ Long-distance travel by car (10%)

€ Local travel by car (11%), and

€ Travel by bicycle (11%)

Particularly interesting was the shared idea that a National system should be the responsiblity of the FEDERAL Government, not the States:

When it comes to the transportation system "in the nation as a whole," two-thirds (68%) of adults believe this should be a responsibility of the federal government. Relatively few see this as the responsibility of state government (13%), local government (2%) or private companies (8%).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look here: http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0805-06.htm for THIS:

Published on Monday, August 5, 2002 in the Washington Post

Amtrak Subsidy Support Strong, Survey Shows

Respondents Back More Aid To Increase Rail Service

by Don Phillips and Richard Morin

A total of 1,012 randomly selected adults were interviewed in a national survey, which had a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Respondents first were asked:

"The passenger train service Amtrak lost over a billion dollars last year and relies on loans and subsidies from the federal government to keep running. Which of these three options would you favor? 1. End all federal aid to Amtrak, even if it means that passenger train service in some parts of the country will be shut down? 2. Increase federal aid to Amtrak so it can add more trains and routes, even if it means Amtrak might lose even more money? 3. Keep federal aid to Amtrak at current levels."

Fifty-one percent said keep funding at current levels, 20 percent said increase aid, 17 percent said end all aid, and 13 percent answered "don't know."

Those who said keep funding at current levels were then asked another question:

"If you had to choose, are you more inclined to end all federal aid to Amtrak or to increase federal aid to Amtrak?"

Of that group, 58 percent said they leaned toward increased funding, 29 percent said they leaned toward cutting all funding, and 13 percent answered, "don't know."

Respondents identifying themselves as Democrats expressed far stronger sentiments than those identifying themselves as Republicans, although more Republicans supported Amtrak than favored cutting federal subsidies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another is here: http://www.trainweb.org/kenrail/Survey_says.html“ We were simply overwhelmed by the strong support shown in the survey for more train service,” ...

“It’s no longer ‘if you build it, they will come’. They’re here. Let’s build it.”

APTA survey echoes local support for trains and transit (Spring, 2003) - “Four in five (81 percent) Americans believe that increased investment in public transportation strengthens the economy, creates jobs, reduces traffic congestion and air pollution, and saves energy, according to a new national poll,” says the website of American Public Transportation Association about results disclosed March 12 during its three-day meeting for transit officials in Washington D.C. The phone survey of about one thousand Americans during mid-February was commissioned by APTA. ...

Excite'd about trains (March, 2003)- A daily poll at Excite.com found that a significant fraction of respondents favor train travel in the U.S., by as much as 3-to-1 versus naysayers. ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Another is here: http://www.wisarp.org/BadgerPoll.htm

3385 S. 119th St., West Allis, Wisconsin 53227

Wisconsin Passenger Rail Service Poll

June 18, 2002

More than three out of four Wisconsin residents support a nationwide train network with increased routes, frequencies and shorter travel times, according to results of a major statewide transportation alternatives survey.

As many respondents also said they would use the expanded, fast train service now being planned by nine Midwestern states including Wisconsin, according to the Wisconsin Association of Railroad Passengers (WisARP).

A majority of those surveyed also favored the use of federal funds to improve inter-city rail passenger service, according to the group. ...

“We were simply overwhelmed by the strong support shown in the survey for more train service,” said John Parkyn, Stoddard, WI, WisARP president. “These are amazing numbers, and are evidence that the state’s efforts to improve passenger rail service in Wisconsin are consistent with what the public wants.

“The public is saying it wants more trains and faster trains, and is willing to help pay for them.

“It’s no longer ‘if you build it, they will come’. They’re here. Let’s build it.”

Parkyn said the survey, which was conducted over a week-and-a-half ending in mid-February, took place as the future of Amtrak and the need for a nationwide rail passenger service was being debated by Congress, and as Wisconsin state government wrestled with its most serious financial crisis ever. Neither issue is yet resolved.

“Our concern was that one or both of those factors might depress support for passenger train expansion in the survey,” said Parkyn. “That concern appears to have been groundless.”

Parkyn said support for both a national and regional passenger train network was strong throughout the state. Overall, 77% statewide favored a national network, with only 15.8% opposed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next: http://www.usmayors.org/69thWinterMeeting/poll.pdf

This one is from a conference of mayors, so it is looking at it from a more local and commuter point-of-view, but the support for rail, including inter-city rail, is still strong in it.

This telephone survey was conducted from December 19 ­ 28, 2000, among 1013

randomly selected registered voters.

Highlights of the poll appear below:

* The vast majority of respondents (80%) said they supported the idea of building light rail and commuter rail systems serving cities, suburbs, and entire regions to give them the option of not driving their cars. Only 16% opposed.

* 68% of Americans said spending public funds to build or improve rail systems to reduce traffic congestion was a "convincing reason" to invest in a passenger rail network.

* 69% said they "favor" and 41% said they "strongly favor" creating high-speed train service to serve their communities and provide connections between major population areas. And, an overwhelming majority (87%) said they believe the United States Government currently possesses the resources to build a high-speed rail system.

* Respondents believe that if more roads are built, more people will drive. 66% said they do not think that traffic congestion will be eased if more roads are built. The majority (58%) "disagree" and 40% "strongly disagree" that imposing tolls on highways is a fair and efficient way to relieve traffic congestion.

* A large majority of respondents (68%) believe if no new transportation alternatives are offered during the next five-to-ten years, traffic conditions will worsen.

* Not surprisingly, traffic congestion and commuting remain a serious concern, especially in the metro areas of the West and South. The vast majority of people believe that traffic congestion has worsened nationwide, with 58% of people "strongly agreeing" with this statement and 89% in agreement overall.

* When asked if traffic had gotten better, worse, or stayed the same in their areas over the past five years, 79% said conditions have gotten worse, while only 6% think things have improved. One out of two respondents not only believe that traffic has worsened, but believe that it is currently "much worse" than it was five years ago.

* Only 14% think that their commute has improved while 41% say that it has gotten worse. One likely reason that commuting has worsened is that access to public transportation has not significantly improved, while traffic has increased. Only 33% of respondents claim that they have better access to public transportation than five years ago, while 38% say things have stayed the same.

* When asked whether, "during the election campaign that recently ended, the candidates for President, Senate, or Congress gave attention to issues affecting quality of life, such as traffic, affordable housing, or urban sprawl," an overwhelming 72% believe that the candidates paid either "a little attention" or "no attention at all" to these quality of life issues.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next, http://www.aprc.org/gov_support.htm

... A CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll, conducted June 21-23, 2002, asked 1,020 adults if the federal government should continue to fund Amtrak or stop funding Amtrak. Their response: 70% support continued federal funding of Amtrak; 27% prefer to end federal funding and 3% have no opinion.

70% favor continued government funding of Amtrak

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got tired at this point, and it was time for the weekly online chat. There are a number of other poll info sources out there if anybody wants to continue. Bottom line: The U.S. Public wants passenger rail transportation, and it should be funded and organized at the Federal level.

Congress seems to have been listening to the people more than the White House has. That is fact, not a rant. If you don't want to keep seeing it, then get the politicians to change it.

Unfortunately Politics are a big part of Amtrak. They SHOULD NOT BE but they are. I started this post to share with everyone the latest information I received from the NARP. And I would have to say that I am extremely frustrated with the way the goverment handles Amtrak. And has handled Amtrak since it's inception. I won't get into politics here, but I will say that I do feel that the government should be giving Amtrak full and stable funding. I think $2billion a year would be a good start. The amount should never be less than that. Ever. And instead of making Amtrak cut routes and onboard services as cost saving measures, the government should be insisting that they find ways to improve service and increase routes. Not everyone rides Amtrak. Not everyone even knows it exists. On top of expanding routes and services, they should also be able to advertise more. If routes, services and advertising were increased, I would think that in a period of 5 to 10 years ridership would increase to the point of giving the airlines more of a run for their money.

I do not feel that my above opinion makes me a communist, socialist, facist or "Ultra Left Winger". I do feel that there are certain services a government should provide for the people and a national rail transportation system should be one of them. I can think of alot worse things our tax money could go towards. AMTRAK should not be expected to be solvent. No transportation industry is and none of them have been bled dry as much as Amtrak. I just think it is a ridiculous waste of time to try and shut Amtrak down each and every year, regardless of what party is in office.

I think I figured out why the Superliner 1 Rem. Program got scrubbed according to the monthly report due to the Superliners are $7.1 Million OVERBUDGET!!!! <_< Not good.
Hmm, that sounds familiar. Now where did I read that?

Oh wait, it was right here in this very topic. :lol:

This is for the remainder of this fiscal year and only applies to the Sleeper remanufacture program. Sixteen of eighteen sleepers were rebuilt and that one program went over budget for the FY. So they elected to cancel that work for the rest of the year (which ends 9/30/06).

I think I figured out why the Superliner 1 Rem. Program got scrubbed according to the monthly report due to the Superliners are $7.1 Million OVERBUDGET!!!! <_< Not good.
Hmm, that sounds familiar. Now where did I read that?

Oh wait, it was right here in this very topic. :lol:

Opps, I didn't see that. :blink: :eek: Sorry for the inconvience.

I decided to actually go look to see what polls were out there. I've heard folks reference "polls" in general, but I hadn't done that particular bit of research, and I had a few minutes, soooooooooooo:------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow! I stand humbly corrected about the national support for Amtrak. Thanks AlanB for the suggestion of the polls and too AmtrakWPK for the work of finding all those polls to show us.

It is still beyond my belief that in today's society that so many of our representatives can ignore the wishes of their constitutes. With the indicated support that these polls show, Amtrak should not have any problems of financial support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back