heritage cars PLUS viarail question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scott

Hi All,

does anyone know if Amtrak uses the old lounge cars on any of their routes? I remember the cars from the late seventies where there were tables upstairs.

Also, anyone ride in the lower or upper berths on Viarail? I am wondering what you do in the morning? I mean, if there are berths in one car, does the attendant simply wake everyone up and say, "Now we're going to convert back to seating?" I doubt it somehow, but wanted to know if you've got any experience with this. Thanks, all. Happy travels!

Scott

Scott, the Single Level Heritage Lounges, and dissappeared on Amtrak Long Distance Trains in the '80s, when they were replaced by Amfleet II Lounges and Coaches.

The Auto Train, I believe continued to use some Heritage (Dome) Cars and Table Cars until It went Superliner around 1995-1996.

The domes still saw usage in the California Corridor, on the San Diegans I believe until recently.

As far as I know, Heritage Coaches can still be seen on the Clockers (NYP-Philly), and on the Adirondack, with some lounges. I'm not 100% Certain though.

The Coast Starlight on the west coast uses Ex ATSF Hi-Level Lounges as the Pacific Parlor Car for first class passengers, which are also Heritage Cars, although they're Bi-Level. I also think you can see Hi-Level Cars (Coaches too) on the Heartland Flyer.

As for the Via Rail Question, I don't really know much about their operations, but maybe someone else can help.

scott said:
Hi All,

Also, anyone ride in the lower or upper berths on Viarail? I am wondering what you do in the morning? I mean, if there are berths in one car, does the attendant simply wake everyone up and say, "Now we're going to convert back to seating?" I doubt it somehow, but wanted to know if you've got any experience with this. Thanks, all. Happy travels!

Scott
I have ridden on Via several times. The times that I used upper or lower births, the attendant was usually flexible. Often, they try to make the beds while you are at breakfast. (dont try this on Amtrak, they make the beds when they want to). I never observed an attendant badgering anybody to get up so beds could be made. If you are one who wants to sleep till 10 or 11, then you might be bothered, because if there is one of you, and you are in the lower birth snoozing away, and the guy in the upper berth is up around 8, then you are incovencienting him and the porter. Late sleepres would appreciate a single room.

Atcually, Heritage Lounges were used right up to 2000 on the Adirondack. Before that they were found on other long-distance single level trains (like the Capitol Limited and City of New Orleans which also had Dome Coaches) before they were replaced by Superliners. Amfleet II Lounges were used along with the Heritage Lounges too.

Scott, I have a friend in Canada who rode in the berths recently. THe beds are very comfortable but in the case of those paricular cars, they are right over the wheels, thus making for a rough ride. I do not have as much experience with them as Steve 4031 has ....I sort of do not recommend them except maybe once, for the novelty.

I have had better luck than Steve 4031 has had in getting Amtrak attendants to make up my bed when I am breakfast...I have always taken that for granted and am not usually disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back