Hey guys! Need some advice fast!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I might not make my EB connection - my train , 371, has been mucho delayed and we just started moving again. Flooding & crew change. If I miss it, where should I head to first - bypass pax services and go straight to the tix counter or what? We zipping along right now but that could end as soon as we hit Gary.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I would talk to the Conductor on the train you are on. He/she can call ahead, check status on the EB, and also should be able to tell you what to do when you arrive. It is unlikely that they would hold your train, but it doesn't hurt to talk to the Conductor!

Yep, best to talk to the conductor. At Chicago, I'd go directly to passenger services assuming you miss it, they should have more information than the ticket counter. Another thing to do is call Amtrak on a cell phone if you have one with you. Since it is a weekday, I'd ask to be connected directly with Customer Service.

BTW, in case you are having trouble connecting to the website, 371 is currently estimated into Chicago at 1:31pm, 2 hours and 53 minutes late. If you get there at 1:31, go directly to wherever you'll board from (Metropolitan Lounge or north waiting room).

Last edited by a moderator:
We passed Gary and we're waiting for the drawbridge over the river to go down.

Yay! Started moving again - 25 mins maybe?

I wanted some company on my anxiety ridden adventure - thanks for joining me you guys! :)

Heck, you still have a 30 minute buffer. If you get in within the next 10 minutes, you'll be way fine. Do you have a single ticket from your origination to your destination through CHI or do you have two separate tickets: one into Chicago and a different one out of Chicago? IE: Are you on a guaranteed connection? I think since you're coming in from the South and leaving to the North, you'll have to make your way to the head of the train, exit the doors and go straight to your next train. I don't think you'll have time to mess with Customer Service unless the train has already departed. Do you have checked bags? If so, be sure to alert the conductor so they can put your bags on the same train as you.

Ack - you're down to 25 minutes now per the status... Keep us posted!

You are guaranteed. What that means practically, I don't know. :(

1:50 ETA.... 6 minutes.... You should be coming into the yard by now...

Remember, you'll probably be coming into the South Concourse and you'll be leaving out of the North Concourse. If you're not familiar with CHI, there is a long hallway that eminates from about the center portion of the concourse. Go straight down that hallway, PAST Ticketing, Passenger Services, Waiting lounges and head straight for the North concourse. No turns. No elevators. Straight across.

Yes, but that doesn't mean they'll hold the train, that depends on both the number of passengers connecting and operating conditions (such as staying in the Metra slot).

1:55 estimated arrival now. Crossing my fingers for you, Joanie.

You are guaranteed. What that means practically, I don't know.
It's entirely up to Amtrak, but in general it would involve...

1. Re-booked on another train and done

2. Transferred to a bus and done

3. Night in hotel covered by Amtrak, followed by 1 or 2

4. Return of payment and done

5. They hold the connecting train for you

Thanks everyone! We had to wait for a commuter and we just started moving again!

MAN! Am I ever stressed out!

No matter, I'll go with the flow.

Conductor said I'll make it ha ha.

There are others connecting to the EB on this train too - we'll see

UGH!

They announced it just before arrival the time I saw them do that. And the agent was on the platform near the gate shouting for the Capitol Limited passengers to come to him.

NARRATOR:

As JoanieB sent her last message, the Pere Marquette rolled under the buildings that lead to Chicago's Union Station. The latest arrival estimate: 2:09 PM - just 6 minutes prior to the depature of her connecting train.

The train pulls into track #22. The door opens and JoanieB flies down the steps completely forgetting that it is a low platform and she just sailed 6 feet in the air. She lands with a perfect 10, then turns towards the head of the train. Amtrak staff encourages all who are connecting, "Empire Builder Passengers: Follow me. Train 7 departs in 3 minutes!"

As JoanieB and the 17 other Empire Bound passengers hop on the golf cart, they race between concourses at breakneck speed. They arrive on the platform as the locomotive honks its horn twice. The first 16 passengers board and the train slowly begins to pull out of the station. JoanieB is the last one, but as an experience rider and forum contributor, she runs along side and jumps onto the steps as the coach attendant pulls her aboard. The doors close and the train wails away towards Milwaukee and points West.

The time I saw them do it was a EB/CL connection, and they led passengers around the station beside the through tracks. They never went inside at all.

Still showing the 2:09 estimate, not showing arrived as of 2:20 CT. Builder does not show departed. Here's hoping they are holding it.

Since we haven't heard from her in about 20 mins here's hoping she's headed toward the EB and is getting her breath back & getting settled in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back