HHP-8's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

National Limited

Service Attendant
I saw a posting on another board regarding the aging AEM-7 fleet and their possible replacement with ALP-46A's. I actually really like the looks of the HHP-8's (

) and wonder if there is substance to go with the style. Have they performed well? Are they reliable? Curious to learn more about these locomotives.

They have wheel slip issues, I think. Other than that, they seem to be reasonably reliable (at least compared to the AEM-7, but that probably isn't the best yardstick).

They have wheel slip issues, I think. Other than that, they seem to be reasonably reliable (at least compared to the AEM-7, but that probably isn't the best yardstick).
Any AC propulsion unit has wheelslip problems, the biggest problem, is engineers not respecting how much power they got.

The HHP-8 and AEM-7ac are basicly same unit, with way to many ponies in to little weight.

The responce to wheelslip by engineer is also different on a DC unit to a AC unit.

with a DC unit you feather the independent and notch back a bit.

with a AC unit you only notch back one or two notches and let computer do work.

I seem to recall that early on Amtrak had some reliability issues with the HHP's, not entirely unusual either with a new unit, but I believe that things have stablized at this point and that they are performing pretty reliably now.

I like the looks of them and I like how the pick up speed quicker. I believe 659 has a different shade of blue on the head ends. At first they didn't really live up to the hype. But now they're performing better and becoming what they should be. They break down every once and a while. But you will notice the acceleration rate is EXTREMELY different on the HHP's and the AEM-7's. On the HHP's it's quicker not only because it has 1000 more HP. But, the aerodynamics are notable. With the HHP's they have a slanted nose. The AEM-7's are completly flat. You can feel the difference on board.

Steve

Well, Amtrak's publicly available fleet plan indicates that they intend to retire the HHP-8s at the same time as the AEM-7s, in the next few years. I'll let you draw your own conclusions about their reliability based on that.

I like the looks of them and I like how the pick up speed quicker. I believe 659 has a different shade of blue on the head ends. At first they didn't really live up to the hype. But now they're performing better and becoming what they should be. They break down every once and a while. But you will notice the acceleration rate is EXTREMELY different on the HHP's and the AEM-7's. On the HHP's it's quicker not only because it has 1000 more HP. But, the aerodynamics are notable. With the HHP's they have a slanted nose. The AEM-7's are completly flat. You can feel the difference on board.
Steve
The Aerodynamics will actually cause more drag and is mainly cosmetic.

The front end may help the Aerodynamics but rear end of locomotive and the flat surface of Amfleet end associated gap will cause more of a drag than front end eliminates.

I saw a posting on another board regarding the aging AEM-7 fleet and their possible replacement with ALP-46A's. I actually really like the looks of the HHP-8's (

) and wonder if there is substance to go with the style. Have they performed well? Are they reliable? Curious to learn more about these locomotives.
The HHP-8 is a total heap of unmitigated garbage. It is unreliable, it is WAY too light for its power level, with no mechanism to make up for that (such as traction control). According to someone I know out at Sunnyside, it is not abnormal for half the fleet to be out of service due to mechanical problems at any given time. They are, in fact, less reliable than the AEM-7DCs, which given the age of that thing's power center, is an impressive concept.

While they should be as reliable as the AEM-7ACs, they aren't. Probably the same mystery as to why a 1992-1999 Pontiac Bonneville has a much worse reliability record than either the Buick LeSabre or Oldsmobile 88, which are substantially the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back