High Point Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had planned to visit the High Point furniture market next month, commuting each day from Durham into High Point and returning in the evening. I received a phone call this morning from Amtrak saying the High Point station is now closed for renovation.

Is Amtrak offering any alternatives for passengers needing to travel to High Point.

With the furniture market coming and the NC state fair, the timing is certainly not great.

I wonder if you could still travel there, and get off the train at that stop... yet the station is simply closed? There are plenty of Amtrak stops that don't even have a station... they simply don't support checked baggage or other staffed services. :unsure:

That was the case in Palatka. The station itself was closed for two years (I think), but the platform remained open for trains to serve the station. I would call Amtrak again and see if the train still serves High Point, but no services are offered.

bkkth said:
I had planned to visit the High Point furniture market next month, commuting each day from Durham into High Point and returning in the evening. I received a phone call this morning from Amtrak saying the High Point station is now closed for renovation.
Is Amtrak offering any alternatives for passengers needing to travel to High Point.

With the furniture market coming and the NC state fair, the timing is certainly not great.
The High Point station was scheduled to be totally closed for a while, although that period of closure should have been over by now. Apparently there were some delays in the project, necessitating the continued closure of the station.

The geography of the High Point station is such that the train runs in a culvert, with a single stairway leading up to the station at street level from the island platform. Since there was no realistic way to detour pedestrian traffic around the closed area, High Point was simply wiped off the station map for a while, with no alternate transportation provided. So the Crescent, Piedmont, and Carolinian simply run through the station without stopping. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back