High Speed Rail is a white elephant just like the Monorail

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamtrain6868

Train Attendant
Watch this--- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZjzsnPhnw Marge Just like the Governers of Ohio and Wisconsin says that the streets are falling apart....The Musicman just like Lahood says that the monorail will put them on the map and if they dont build it here in Springfeild somebody else will get the money and build it there.

Confused

Americans

Thinking

Outrageously

Add the word 'Institute' and you get a faux neo-libertarian authority. It's the same thing when you add the word 'Report' to 'Drudge'.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cato Institute is like me at my laziest high school days, where I'd write a few websites to produce whatever "facts" and "sources" I wanted to insert into the paper, once I had written whatever I wanted to write, my "sources" and "facts" would be tailored to support whatever nonsense I wanted. I remember my paper I wrote, to see how much my teacher would pay attention, about the worlds first electrified subway, running from Atlanta to New York, with Harriet Tubman as conductor. I had all kinds of sources I had created from whole cloth.

Sadly, I got an A.

It's weird to see so many rail fans against high speed rail. I mean, aren't we looking for passenger rail upgrades? Do these rail fans just want to go visit steam trains in museums and stuff?

It's weird to see so many rail fans against high speed rail. I mean, aren't we looking for passenger rail upgrades? Do these rail fans just want to go visit steam trains in museums and stuff?
This isn't a rail fan, steamtrain is a bus fan, a "rubber foamer" if I recall my terminology correctly. :lol:

Watch this--- http://www.youtube.c...h?v=AEZjzsnPhnw Marge Just like the Governers of Ohio and Wisconsin says that the streets are falling apart....The Musicman just like Lahood says that the monorail will put them on the map and if they dont build it here in Springfeild somebody else will get the money and build it there.

Steamtrain6868, I am wondering why you continue to post items as the subject and have inane content.

Your post count is amazing in the short time on the board. But, so much of it is content that has already been covered and could have been found with a few minutes of review. Or in the alternative inane subject matter that is not relevant like references to the Simpsons as having any value. Much less linking the Simpsons episode to a CATO Institute paper.

Really now, Really?

Lets see some real content with more then a subject line and a one or two sentence blurb.. (Often trolling)... My four year old has more complete and rational comments on rail then the majority of what I have seen posted...

I will now return to the background in disgust

I loved the linkage of "the Simpsons" with the CATO Institute. Much like GML's mention of Harriet Tubman as Conductor of the railroad from ATL to NYP

not that I really agree with steamtrain, but aiming for Chinese maglev like speeds in this country is asinine. We need to walk before we can run.

Just getting some lines outside of the NEC to even Metroliner like speeds would be a vast improvement.

Streamtrain, as the name suggests, probably wants to go back to the days of trains pulled by steam engines.

The Cato Institute is like me at my laziest high school days, where I'd write a few websites to produce whatever "facts" and "sources" I wanted to insert into the paper, once I had written whatever I wanted to write, my "sources" and "facts" would be tailored to support whatever nonsense I wanted. I remember my paper I wrote, to see how much my teacher would pay attention, about the worlds first electrified subway, running from Atlanta to New York, with Harriet Tubman as conductor. I had all kinds of sources I had created from whole cloth.

Sadly, I got an A.
And we wonder about some of the products of our education system?

I have family memebers that teach in public schools, and they are about to throw in the towel. Between a contingent of teachers like this particular one you experienced, students who don't care and are put in the class for social reasons, not ability to learn the subject, parents with a sense of entitlement that fell that all their family and child problems are somebody else's fault, and if in school, all the teacher's, it is just not worth killing yourself for no appreciation and littel results.

Sadly, I got an A.

You got a A for entertainment value--- I would love to see that paper today...matter of fact many people believe that the "Underground Railroad" was actualy underground and had "stations' in people basements who were abolitinests

Last edited by a moderator:
THE FACT IS THIS----- The collective memory of this Simpson's Monorail Cartoon is all that we have or will know about high speed rail...Because of this stupid cartoon that many remember that was played on FOX....This is why many are skeptical of high speed rail

THE FACT IS THIS----- The collective memory of this Simpson's Monorail Cartoon is all that we have or will know about high speed rail...Because of this stupid cartoon that many remember that was played on FOX....This is why many are skeptical of high speed rail
Do you even know what the word "fact" means? What you have stated is unsubstantiated (and outrageous) opinion. There are plenty of people out there who know plenty about high-speed rail. Just because the only thing you know about the world is what you saw on a cartoon (and you apparently form your opinions accordingly) doesn't mean everyone else is that way.

Do you even know what the word "fact" means? What you have stated is unsubstantiated (and outrageous) opinion. There are plenty of people out there who know plenty about high-speed rail. Just because the only thing you know about the world is what you saw on a cartoon (and you apparently form your opinions accordingly) doesn't mean everyone else is that way.
The fact is, about the only way I would watch the Simpsons is firmly tied to a chair in front of the TV with my eyes glued open. I can't afford to burn out what few brain cells I have left.

You're kidding, right?

A. The Simpsons isn't a 'stupid cartoon' by most measures

B. This episode aired in 1993... it is nearly 20 years old. I'm pretty sure most people who know about HSR form their opinions based on what they see TODAY not what they saw 20 years ago

C. The Simpsons didn't ruin HSR, politicians did

not that I really agree with steamtrain, but aiming for Chinese maglev like speeds in this country is asinine. We need to walk before we can run.

Just getting some lines outside of the NEC to even Metroliner like speeds would be a vast improvement.
I would argue the Chinese maglev is a white elephant (but not HSR) considering there is only one operating in the world and it runs between Longyang Lu and Pudong Airport. Also, at over US$1 per minute to ride (took it to go pick up my sister at PVG because the subway stops going to the airport at 21:00) it is not a cheap ride either. Also, the maglev didn't go at top speed either I have to check the picture I took of it going at its fastest overall I wasn't impressed by it especially not at 50 kwai one way.

I would argue the Chinese maglev is a white elephant (but not HSR) considering there is only one operating in the world and it runs between Longyang Lu and Pudong Airport. Also, at over US$1 per minute to ride (took it to go pick up my sister at PVG because the subway stops going to the airport at 21:00) it is not a cheap ride either. Also, the maglev didn't go at top speed either I have to check the picture I took of it going at its fastest overall I wasn't impressed by it especially not at 50 kwai one way.
You rode it after 21:00? I was there something like 5 to 6 years ago, and it stopped earlier than that, someing like 19:00, if I remember correctly. Also, it did get to its top speed, and stayed there for 8 seconds. Wow!!

You rode it after 21:00? I was there something like 5 to 6 years ago, and it stopped earlier than that, someing like 19:00, if I remember correctly. Also, it did get to its top speed, and stayed there for 8 seconds. Wow!!
Yes, I think the last one leaves the airport at 21:45 because the one I took out from Longyang Lu was the last one to PVG and I got on after 21:30.

Back