Highball Chicago Amtrak #30

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my scanner packed, my music packed, and am ready to railroad. I depart tomorrow, Nov. 7 from Chicago on 30.(Car3001, D) I return on November 10 on 29.(Car 2900,C)

Have fun tracking me! :D :D

Steve4031 said:
Got my scanner packed, my music packed, and am ready to railroad. I depart tomorrow, Nov. 7 from Chicago on 30.(Car3001, D) I return on November 10 on 29.(Car 2900,C)
Have fun tracking me! :D :D
Have Fun. :D :D

Have a great trip, Steve.

I'll be off riding the rail tomorrow myself. Although not as far as your traveling. I'm only going to Boston from NY.

Hey that still ain't nothing to sneeze at. What type of service did you take this time Alan? :lol:

battalion51 said:
Hey that still ain't nothing to sneeze at. What type of service did you take this time Alan? :lol:
As if there was any other way to get from NY to Boston, other than First Class on an Acela. :lol: Actually Superliner Diner and his son joined me this time in FC. He had two upgrade coupons from the Amtrak Guest Rewards program, so he was able to go from Business Class to FC for free.

Sadly however, thanks to a one hour late into Beantown. This caused us to abort our planned trip to Fitchburg and instead substitute a ride on the Old Colony division to Middleborough. Two of our Boston friends joined us for this ride.

Another two followed the original plan and went to Fitchburg without us.

Now returning to our regularly scheduled program. :D :lol:

According to the Amtrak website, Steve's train left Chi-town on time at 5:35 today. No other updates from further down the line at this time, however.

Hopefully Steve will have a nice smooth trip and will arrive exactly when he wants to arrive. :)

As of the latest report out of Toledo it was 3 minutes behind schedule. Not too bad so far.

As of 4:58 AM, Steve's train was reported 17 minutes late out of Pittsburgh, PA. Amtrak however is currently predicting an early arrival in DC by 30 minutes or so.

You know I find it great how we can track trains like this...ain't technology grand? Now all we need is a dispatcher-style schematic with every train on the NEC shown as it progresses along the line :p Maybe Anthony will make us a TrakTrack when he's done with MileTrak 2 :)

Tristan said:
You know I find it great how we can track trains like this...ain't technology grand? Now all we need is a dispatcher-style schematic with every train on the NEC shown as it progresses along the line :p Maybe Anthony will make us a TrakTrack when he's done with MileTrak 2 :)
It's already been done. :)

VRE has a webpage that shows where their trains are, along with the Amtrak trains that cross honor VRE tickets.

Steve's train arrived 1 minute early at 12:23 PM today in DC. Hopefully he had a great trip, even if he didn't get any extra time on the train.

Tri-Rail has a system similar to VRE that tracks all there trains cab cars with mile post to the hundredth. The only detraction is that the exact location can be up to ten minutes old.

AlanB said:
Tristan said:
You know I find it great how we can track trains like this...ain't technology grand?  Now all we need is a dispatcher-style schematic with every train on the NEC shown as it progresses along the line :p  Maybe Anthony will make us a TrakTrack when he's done with MileTrak 2 :)
It's already been done. :)

VRE has a webpage that shows where their trains are, along with the Amtrak trains that cross honor VRE tickets.
There was one a few years ago called TrainBrain that featured the San Diegans... some Java app. I think VRE bought that from the guy who made it, and adapted it to their commuter operations. (It looks the same)

The tracker though is pretty cool. It'd be nice if Tri-Rail could update theirs to include Amtrak as well, not to mention a more realistic picture for the average Joe. :D The one thing I do like about Tri-Rai's though is that it includes the Cab Car number to help keep track of trainsets.

Thanks for the link. Don't know why I missed that? Anyway, they need to update it because as of this moment it is showing Amtrak #66 just passing Lorton, VA. Well #66 does not even operate south of Washington, DC anymore. It is know #76 and operates several hours earlier. <_<

battalion51 said:
The tracker though is pretty cool. It'd be nice if Tri-Rail could update theirs to include Amtrak as well, not to mention a more realistic picture for the average Joe. :D The one thing I do like about Tri-Rai's though is that it includes the Cab Car number to help keep track of trainsets.
Well Tri-rail has no reason to add the Amtrak trains to their graphic. Amtrak does not honor Tri-Rail tickets, in part because Amtrak does not operate the Tri-Rail commuter service.

On the other hand Amtrak does honor VRE tickets on certain trains, normally the short haul semi-commuter trains. That's why the VRE site includes Amtrak trains. :)

Good point Alan. It would confuse the average idiot, so better for them not to be there.

battalion51 said:
I'd like to see an NJT feature, as well as Amtrak. Its a good way to see how late your train is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back