Hints to carrying more luggage with ease.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a post on Facebook by one of my friends who was complaining about having to carry two wheeled suitcases and having no hands free to carry her coffee. I then thought about people who I see when traveling by train and how much they struggle with the multiple bags. I thought a thread with great tips on how to handle the luggage issue was needed,

I have one of these that I use and it works well, even with my wheeled cooler. http://smile.amazon.com/Travelon-Multi-Bag-Stacker/dp/B0012DEO4M/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1389633545&sr=8-12&keywords=Suitcase+straps

Any other tips?

I saw a post on Facebook by one of my friends who was complaining about having to carry two wheeled suitcases and having no hands free to carry her coffee. I then thought about people who I see when traveling by train and how much they struggle with the multiple bags. I thought a thread with great tips on how to handle the luggage issue was needed,

I have one of these that I use and it works well, even with my wheeled cooler. http://smile.amazon.com/Travelon-Multi-Bag-Stacker/dp/B0012DEO4M/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1389633545&sr=8-12&keywords=Suitcase+straps

Any other tips?
Some bags come with a strap for that purpose. Ever see what happens when the bag not touching the ground slips to the side? And it always happens when you are rushing to the train and there are lots of people all around you. Unless the strap wraps around the base bag to prevent the problem, it seems those other bags ALWAYS slip to the side.

I'm planning a LD 15 day trip and I will be bring two back packs. One small one for a kindle, cd Walkman, nuvi, moccosins, and personal grooming items. The other will be a little more than a standard airline carry on. I will also have a money belt for tickets, cards, and cash. I'll have both hands free for boarding.

Some bags come with a strap for that purpose.
My luggage came with such. I could hook them all up, into a long luggage consist. :D

You are correct that such isn't all that maneuverable, especially in crowded areas. While I would could use such to get to the train on the platform, I would never attempt to use such to enter and struggle down a train car's isle.

Hi,

The luggage strap is a good idea, but hard to use up and down stairs, etc. I try to make a point of not having more luggage than I can carry if I need to... Mostly I use a soft shoulder bag with many compartments for laptop, etc, and an airline "carry on" size small roller case for clothing, etc. This leaves one hand free for coffee duty!

Ed. :cool:

How about finish your coffee before you need to board the train and then get another cup in the cafe car?

Maybe get a thermos type cup that has a secure lid closure, put your coffee in that, close the lid hole, put it in the front pocket of one suitcase?

Change one of the heavy rolling bags to a light weight duffel bag and use the strap shown below to attach it to the largest rolling bag?

You can leave the largest bag downstairs, bring the smaller one up then go back and get the larger one.

I have one and it works really well.

I actually use it to secure a rolling carry-on to my spinner luggage - I need the rolling carry-on for some travel scenarios like cruising.

You can buy it here: Travelon Luggage Bungee at Amazon

travelonbungee_zpsab7fac5a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a suggestion: carry less.

(Not really that challenging...unless you live on Amtrak full-time)

I invested in a good hiking backpack. I put my camera, lens, tablet, shaving kit, scanner, tickets, reading material and all charging cords, etc. It also has two easy to reach outside mesh pockets for water bottles or a small sealed drink cup (coffee, tea, soda, etc) That leaves a carry-on type spinner suitcase for clothes. Find it very easy to do train travel with the setup.

How about finish your coffee before you need to board the train and then get another cup in the cafe car?

Maybe get a thermos type cup that has a secure lid closure, put your coffee in that, close the lid hole, put it in the front pocket of one suitcase?

Change one of the heavy rolling bags to a light weight duffel bag and use the strap shown below to attach it to the largest rolling bag?

You can leave the largest bag downstairs, bring the smaller one up then go back and get the larger one.

I have one and it works really well.

I actually use it to secure a rolling carry-on to my spinner luggage - I need the rolling carry-on for some travel scenarios like cruising.

You can buy it here: Travelon Luggage Bungee at Amazon

travelonbungee_zpsab7fac5a.jpg

I too use this and LOVE it for stacking a smallish cooler OR a duffle bag on top of a wheeled bag. And I too am skeptical about whether more than two bags are manageable this way. However, YMMV, depending on the bags you're using, and whether you're better coordinated than I am.

I'm glad my wife doesn't read AU! She likes to buy stuff, and in anticipation of our big retirement trip next year, has been mentioning those 4-wheel things, even though we have a selection of the 2-wheel sort.

I did buy both of us small backpacks, plus we'll both have a couple carry on sized pieces. Some will be checked, others won't. Those backpacks hold quite a bit. My only problem with them, is that folks wearing them are totally unaware of how far they stick out behind them, so they bump into people and things.

I rather not be at a station on a low level platform behind someone trying to pull a 3 or 4 tied bag stack up the stairs into a single level car. A smaller bag on top of the large wheeled suitcase, fine. But a Travelon Multi Bag Stacker set? Yikes. There are benefits learning to travel light, or as light as possible under the constraints of the duration of the trip.

I try to get by with one roller bag suitcase and one computer bag that has a strap across the back that can be slipped over the handle of the roller bag when extended. If I need a third, it is typically my backpack (which also used to zip on to the outside of a matching roller bag suitcase, before that suitcase wore out and had to be trashed.

This leaves at least one hand free to carry a soft drink, or snap train photos with a camera, or hand my ticket to the conductor or car attendant when boarding the CZ, or ...

If you have to purchase ties and straps then you're probably bringing too much crap to begin with.

Yep, that's me! A girl has to have her stuff. :)

Seriously, one 22" spinner with an 18" bag holding all of my electronics and non clothing items in it strapped on top when I'm moving.

I can carry both up the stairs on the train, or anywhere else for that matter, at the same time and they both fit on the step/ledge in the roomette with no problem.

Any other tips?
Some bags come with a strap for that purpose. Ever see what happens when the bag not touching the ground slips to the side? And it always happens when you are rushing to the train and there are lots of people all around you. Unless the strap wraps around the base bag to prevent the problem, it seems those other bags ALWAYS slip to the side.
A good quality bungee cord holds much better than the strap that comes with a suitcase and you can tighten it up really well and if you use two, the bag wont slip. I travel heavy and go through wheels, zippers and handles fairly quickly so I always get something with a t least a 2 year warranty. The bigger the wheels the better as you can bounce them up and down stairs.

I guess we should remember that we all have different needs around the amount of stuff we need on a trip... I was amazed at the sheer amount of luggage brought onto the trains in India!

Ed :cool:

I guess we should remember that we all have different needs around the amount of stuff we need on a trip... I was amazed at the sheer amount of luggage brought onto the trains in India!
Back in the 1800's you really did need to bring absolutely everything with you, and maybe that still holds true in places like India. In my view watching Americans drag the kitchen sink with them in 2014 has nothing at all to do with actual needs. Like you I've traveled to places near and far, hot and cold, urban and rural. I've never once carried more than a rollaboard and a laptop bag. In cases where I need formal clothes I replace the laptop bag with a cylindrical suit bag. Whatever doesn't fit I pickup at my destination. Many Americans may want more than that, but to call it a need is a bit of a stretch.

For some people, there are added items that need to be carried, ie, medical needs. Which take up quite a bit of space, one thing I can think of would be Depends. They would take up as much if not more room than diapers for babies. So sometimes people have to carry more than what you would think is needed. I know for me, I have a carry-on two wheel bag, a bag of snacks and food, a small over-night bag that attaches to the carry on handle and sometimes I have my wheeled cooler. When I bring the Wheeled cooler, I use that as the base and place the suitcase on top of it sideways then the over-night bag with the shoulder strap and then the bag of snacks, etc.

I am sure that for people who are in coach, there are those that bring food on because they can't or don't want to spend the money on the train. I bring snacks and meals that don't need cooking myself, so I can save my money for when I get where I am going. Sleeper people get their meals, so this is one less thing they need to worry about.

LL Bean makes a GREAT "soft" suitcase / Backpack. I gave up those wretched "Rollerboards" years ago. In airports, where the surface is usually smooth, they are "OK" at best. I just found it uncomfortable as Hell to drag it thru long corridors or piers thou. Yuk. Yuk. Yuk.

Ryan is SPOT ON. The backpack Leaves your hands free and if you choose to carry something else or drink or a carry-on meal it's very easy to do so. In my what I would call, relatively small LL Bean backpack/suitcase, I was able to packe it with four pair of pants, cowboy boots, moccasins, three golf shirts, wingtip shoes, five dress shirts, a raincoat, a sweater, a sweatshirt, miscellaneous socks, underwear, undershirts, belt, toiletries, etc. and it still wasn't packed to the gills. Quite heavy, but when it's on your back and cinched up you are just fine. You will never see me carrying pushing or pulling a roller board again. I got rid of mine. Quickly, via Freecycle.com after I got my L.L. Bean backpack.

An added bonus, you are able to avoid all of the escalators and take the stairs easily with a backpack on back. That's next to impossible to do with those roller boards.

Although She Who Must Be Obeyed often increases the load, we generally travel for a week with two very nice LL Bean Rolling Adventure Duffle (large 17x34x15) that holds the destination items and a Olympia (14x16x31) for the journey. I use cable ties as locks. They roll well, have held up well, and add relatively little weight. and roll very well on uneven surfaces (the LL bean video is a hoot, worth the watch)

I love my Samsonite Techtonic Large Backpack. I normally pack all my electronics in it save my little tablet bag that also has the GPS, MPS, etc. At the destination I have it to use as a day pack. SWMBO has a purse and generally a cloth shopping bag for snacks. I have a fanny pack and we only use a cooler in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back