Historic On-Time data

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
I can't find the tables with historic on-time Amtrak route performances, has it disappeared?

Thinking of redesigning our upcoming rail journey and interested in the Empire Builder from CHI west bound both to SEA and PDX, and the Cosat Starlight south bound to LAX from SEA and PDX

Thank you

I can't find the tables with historic on-time Amtrak route performances, has it disappeared?

Thinking of redesigning our upcoming rail journey and interested in the Empire Builder from CHI west bound both to SEA and PDX, and the Cosat Starlight south bound to LAX from SEA and PDX

Thank you
Did you mean the following page? Or were you looking for something else?

https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/search.php

You can get historical performance on ASMAD, ASMAD - Amtrak Status Maps Archive Database - Home

I am unsure of the route, you can't take the Builder to both Seattle and Portland in one trip. It is either/or. If you take the Builder to Seattle, you have to layover overnight, the Builder arrives after the Starlight leaves. Portland, there is a guaranteed connection both directions and westbound, it is pretty generous. Don't feel like looking it up right now, but it is in the neighborhood of 4/5 hours. If you are doing both on the EB, you are taking the Empire Builder back to Spokane and taking the other section from Spokane.

You can get historical performance on ASMAD, ASMAD - Amtrak Status Maps Archive Database - Home

I am unsure of the route, you can't take the Builder to both Seattle and Portland in one trip. It is either/or. If you take the Builder to Seattle, you have to layover overnight, the Builder arrives after the Starlight leaves. Portland, there is a guaranteed connection both directions and westbound, it is pretty generous. Don't feel like looking it up right now, but it is in the neighborhood of 4/5 hours. If you are doing both on the EB, you are taking the Empire Builder back to Spokane and taking the other section from Spokane.

Again it wasn't this website but it has all the info we need. Thank you too.

We're booked through to Seattle then heading south. But a friend suggested possibly alter this to Portland to minimise spending time in a city (Seattle) due to Covid. As the PDX connection time is only 4h 12m, our journey is mid February and I thought as AB says above that the Empire Builder was not doing so well for on-time performance that Seattle was the safer bet. We allowed an extra day in SEA to take a ferry out to the islands and to allow for a very long delay if the weather became extreme, but not knowing the average delays we couldn't base our decision on facts.
So thank you again.

Edit: If the EB is delayed say 5 hours into Portland, would the Coast Starlight be held to wait for it?

I seem to recall there was such a thing, but can’t recall where to find it.

Our dilemma: we’re taking the EB from Chicago to Portland in May. We have friends arriving in Portland two hours after us by plane. One of us will need to rent a car and pick the other up. Either we will have to rent near the station, or they will have to rent at the airport. It seems that the EB is late very often, but not sure how late or how often.

Any suggestions on where to find the stats or suggestions on best way to handle our situation?

Thanks!

Our dilemma: we’re taking the EB from Chicago to Portland in May. We have friends arriving in Portland two hours after us by plane. One of us will need to rent a car and pick the other up. Either we will have to rent near the station, or they will have to rent at the airport. It seems that the EB is late very often, but not sure how late or how often.

Any suggestions on where to find the stats or suggestions on best way to handle our situation?

Thanks!
Take a look at this site:

https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/search.php
plug in your train number and date range to get the historical OTP info.

Thanks!
Here is the specific URL for finding data about #27 arriving in Portland, since Jan 1 of this year: ASMAD - Amtrak Status Maps Archive Database - Train History Search

I hope it's helpful.

Back