Holding unpaid reservations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darien-l

OBS Chief
Two questions:

1) Can I call Amtrak and ask them to hold a reservation for a roomette until Monday without paying for it? I think it's possible if vouchers are used.

2) Can Amtrak agents, perhaps at the supervisory level, make any changes to AGR reservations?

The reason why I'm asking is because I have a multi-leg AGR reservation for a roomette, departing this Thursday. Unfortunately, at the time of booking, roomettes were sold out on one of the trains, so that leg was booked in coach. A roomette just became available on that leg, and I want to grab it, but I can't, because AGR is not open on weekends, and I can't just purchase it and then cancel because departure is less than 7 days away. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty sure you can hold an unpaid reservation from Saturday until Monday... just tell them you have a certificate you want to use and that you cant make it to the station until the weekdays roll around. I think I held an unpaid reservation for 3 days atleast.

I always call in advance when I need to pay with a travel voucher. This way I can reserve my accommodations in advance, and make it much easier at the counter in the station.

When you call in, the agent will tell you when the hold expires. I believe that it's five business days, but have never needed a hold past a few days.

The hold limit time depends on how far in advance you call. That said, I don't specifically know the time limits associated with each time frame.

The hold limit time depends on how far in advance you call. That said, I don't specifically know the time limits associated with each time frame.
I did this just this week, as I needed to pay for the new reservation with an unused ticket. The reservation was 7 days out and they advised me it would be help for 2 days. I, of course, ran down to the station and settled up immediately :rolleyes:

...2) Can Amtrak agents, perhaps at the supervisory level, make any changes to AGR reservations?

The reason why I'm asking is because I have a multi-leg AGR reservation for a roomette, departing this Thursday. Unfortunately, at the time of booking, roomettes were sold out on one of the trains, so that leg was booked in coach. A roomette just became available on that leg, and I want to grab it, but I can't, because AGR is not open on weekends, and I can't just purchase it and then cancel because departure is less than 7 days away. Any suggestions? Thanks!
The only time Amtrak reservations agents will make AGR changes is when it is required by irregular operations. This will change come October when Amtrak moves AGR in-house, but right now I suspect you will have to wait until Monday when AGR opens. You should still call Amtrak and plead your case. Maybe there is some way they could at least block the room until AGR can grab it come Monday.

Back