Holiday Extra Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I arrived at PHL on the Crescent on Sunday,

Track 3: NB Crescent, just arrived (I was getting off).

Track 4: NB Special (MARC single-levels), just departing

Track 5: SB Acela, arrived one minute after Track 4's departure

Track 7: WB Pennsylvanian, visible briefly, engine changed and waiting for departure time

It's pretty rare that I see more than three trains while on a platform at PHL.

I've seen them run a full Coaster train SNA-SAN over the Labour Day weekend. Don't know if Amtrak is running extra service on the Surfliner, but just mentioning I've seen them in the past.
Don't think there were any extra Surfliners over the holiday - and certainly no commuter equipment - but some unusual stuff seen while riding OXN-SNC on 11-25, then SNC-OXN on 11-28 (Saturday return to avoid post-holiday Sunday SRO crush of previous years).

On Wednesday 774 (SLO-SAN) was running a 9-car consist with power at each end. Was double power merely convenience, are Surfliner engines not rated for such weight, or what? It was kinda weird to see a locomotive on the nose of a train that usually pushes to L.A. Passenger load was heavy - though not SRO - and the extra length required respotting for offloading/boarding at several shorter platforms (e.g. Chatsworth).

After L.A. (dep. 30 minutes late) it seemed there musta been some kinda problem further south. Beginning at Santa Ana 774 encountered FOUR northbound Surfliners in ridiculously quick succession. Could any of these have been extras? The 4 seen were actually 3 consists, with two trainsets coupled into a single train and a locomotive in pusher position in the middle. Didn't really know what to make of that.

On Saturday 775 (SAN-SLO) was also a 9-car consist, so an encore of the respotting stuff. Nothing else unusual seen that day, unless you count a couple Metrolink riders who boarded the "wrong" train at Irvine and got booted at Santa Ana. Kinda fishy there, as next Metrolink train not due for over an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back