Holidays and Carry-on Luggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hubs and I will be traveling on the CZ from CHI to SLC (roomette). We will be traveling to family for Christmas and will be bringing along gifts with us.

I just wanted to check to see if my theory is correct:

• The train cars are going to be pretty full = lots of luggage

• Due to lots of people, there is an influx of theft

Therefore, I should NOT stow any of my gift items within the car carryon area but within my roomette, correct?

As a follow up questions: Can we lock our luggage for carry-on bags? Are bags safer that way or does it not deter people from just stealing the whole freaking bag?

Thank you!

My personal feelings, the sleeper luggage area is safer then the coach luggage area. (Less passengers per car.) I've never had a problem storing luggage in either one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you looked into shipping the gifts ahead of you using USPS, UPS or FedEx? It will save the hassle of having to lug them along and worrying about them.

My personal feelings, the sleeper luggage area is safer then the coach luggage area. (Less passengers per car.) I've never had a problem storing luggage in either one.
That's nice to know, thank you :) I will plan on putting the luggage in my room but won't worry as much if we have to put it in the public area.And it was during the holidays that you had no issues?

Have you looked into shipping the gifts ahead of you using USPS, UPS or FedEx? It will save the hassle of having to lug them along and worrying about them.
After the cost of the tickets, nope! I don't mind lugging them though ^_^ I've had worse on traveling via trains to remote areas in Japan with luggage intended for a 40 day visit o.o ...... In the humid summer!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think - in roomette in sleeper car -- risk of loss is very small. Not so small as in Japan, but very small.

Don't worry overmuch, keep high-value gifts in roomette. Not much worry.

I've taken Amtrak roomette and coach many times, just keep an eye on bags, don't leave really high value things unattended.

Probably risk is very small, so some insurance should be really cheap!

Me, never worry, never robbed, got nothing to steal anyhow.

If I were travelng between Chicago and Salt Lake City, I'd check the bag with the gifts. It doesn't cost anything, and I'd feel much more secure with the presents in the baggage car. With 2 people in a Superliner roomette, there's very little room for any luggage.

If I were travelng between Chicago and Salt Lake City, I'd check the bag with the gifts. It doesn't cost anything, and I'd feel much more secure with the presents in the baggage car. With 2 people in a Superliner roomette, there's very little room for any luggage.
Very reasonable response - will, and have, followed. Check bag whenever possible. Minimal hassle, good security.

Very reasonable response - will, and have, followed. Check bag whenever possible. Minimal hassle, good security.
I agree... if you don't need any of it during the trip... CHECK THEM! The roomette is small and storing baggage is almost impossible unless traveling alone, then you can store the baggage on the unused top bunk.

I have zip tied baggage before... I zip tied my wife's baggage and forgot to zip tie mine one time... When I got to my destination I found that one of the zippers on my bag was unzipped. Nothing was missing as I had not stored anything in that exterior pocket/compartment. This was in a superliner car... sleeping upstairs and baggage was stored on the lower level.

I have packed all the wrapped gifts into a large box, and check the box with my other luggage, when I use to visit the family for the holidays.

You are not going to be able to fit a "large box" inside your roomette. They have about 4" x 10" of free floor space when the bed is down. If there is only one of you, you could put it on the upper bunk, otherwise no.

You are not going to be able to fit a "large box" inside your roomette. They have about 4" x 10" of free floor space when the bed is down. If there is only one of you, you could put it on the upper bunk, otherwise no.
Possibly your experience is different, but when I travel LD, Amtrak does not put my checked luggage into my roomette. My checked luggage, including the checked "large box" of gifts, goes into the baggage car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back