Home after my first train trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertaborn

Train Attendant
Because we had to coordinate hotels, train travel, car rental, we booked our trip last September and waited anxiously through all the issues with flooding, late trains, service disruptions to board Empire Builder # 7 at Shelby MT Aug. 123 to Seattle and then Cascades to Olympia WA. Fortunately EB was only 3/4 hour late arriving at Shelby and 1 hour late getting to Seattle, but our connecting train was also an hour late, so that worked out well! Our return trip left on time, we lost time in Spokane (I suspect waiting for the Portland portion to arrive), but not a concern on the return for us - arrive Shelby 3/4 hour late. All in all, very pleased with how scheduling worked for our trip!

We loved the train! I'd booked lower level seats for convenience to bathrooms, but wasn't aware there were only a few seats in the lower level - even with all my forum and other info reading prior to our trip! Actually, we were thrilled by this - only a few others with us westbound and a number of them left before Spokane, and eastbound we had the whole car to ourselves until Whitefish! Made for a much better night sleeping on the return. I'd still book coach for a one night trip, but any longer than that I'd want a sleeper. We had to take a seat at the back with another facing us, which was fine as long as no one sat facing us - would have been uncomfortable for the overnight and even daytime seating. Once a single seat opened up which was shortly after leaving Shelby, we moved. We definitely would only book lower level for any future travel other than getting a sleeper for more than one night on board!

We had decided to have supper in Shelby before we boarded as we didn't want to eat late and suspected the dining car would be heavily booked by the time the train got to us. Good thing, because we were never asked about using the dining car by a coach attendant or conductor. We would have used the cafe if need be, but did expect to be given the option of using the dining room.

On the return trip they did announce someone would be around to give us a dining time, but after poking her head in our car and leaving, we heard no more. Having had breakfast at our hotel in Olympia and a light snack at that station before boarding, by this time (6:30 p.m.) we were starving! I caught the conductor and mentioned this to him and he said he'd let her know. she never did show up, and I asked the National Parks guys who were located outside our coach door to tell either of them we wanted to discuss dining car if they saw them. I know we could have hit the attendant button, but hadn't quite reached that point yet. Shortly after, our coach attendant arrived. She said something about being busy with sleeper car, but we truly believe she'd forgotten us. We didn't get offered the dining car - she said she'd bring our meal to us. We suspect there weren't any time slots left and didn't want to wait much longer anyway, so this was fine.

Meals - not totally thrilled with breakfast - eggs weren't the greatest and potatoes left a bit to be desired, but overall, not bad. dinner (half chicken) was very good. We felt pricing was reasonable.

Also didn't realize we lost the observation car at Spokane - disappointed when we went to find it our first morning, but after going there on the return and unable to find a seat, we concluded our view from our "private" coach was just as good! I can see people in sleepers going to the observation car because they wouldn't have the full view, both sides that we did - a negative for a sleeper, imo, but would still want one for more than one night's travel.

Loved the sounds of the train, and I'm noise sensitive, but found it almost like white sound. Also liked the motion - not near as much as I'd expected.

We did take blankets with us and needed them on our return - car was quite cool, but rather cool than to warm, for us. I also brought and used a sleep mask - found it did help with sleep, I like a dark room - my sister was fine without one.

We found staff on board all trains very pleasant, but staff at Seattle station left a bit to be desired. We took luggage on board westbound in case we had to make a fast connection but checked it from Seattle on our return. We weren't sure where to check luggage so went to ticket/information counter. Were abruptly told to go to another desk - when we got there no one manning it and sign said to go to ticket desk for checking luggage. Found all Amtrak personnel we had contact with in Seattle abrupt and unfriendly.

Storing luggage on Cascades was tight, but we knew that going in and managed. Travelling for 10 days makes it a bit hard to cut down on suitcase size.

Restrooms were always clean and reasonably fresh the entire trip. We did find the dressing room area a bonus - since it's a women only bathroom, preferred it over the others to avoid any floor/seat issues - you know what I mean! Also nice having the large mirror to sort yourself out in mornings.

We did find the National Parks feature interesting the first evening eastbound, but because they moved to the observation car in the morning we didn't get to hear their information on that part of the trip. Nice addition to the trip!

Regarding the social aspect of train travel - well, not so great from our experience! I say this tongue-in-cheek because I know it varies for each person and each trip, and I'm not complaining or making any negative comment about our fellow travellers (well, maybe one!) - all part of the experience. At the Shelby station we had an older lady start up a conversation - that never ended in our 1 1/2 hours there. She was sweet, but we suspect beginning dementia, and once discovering we were Canadian she regaled us with tales of finding any Canadian she'd ever met, as well as Brits when she was in England 40 years ago, all hate Americans. Then waiting to be seated for breakfast we had a couple from Detroit arrive behind us. He demanded we move to let him through even though I told him they weren't seating yet. Of couse he got turned back - much to our satisfaction! Then we ended up being seated with them! She struck up small talk and we participated, but as little as possible. she was o.k. - he was obnoxious, arrogant and made reference to all his train travel through Europe - Orient Express, etc. as well as other braggart comments. On our return a lady who had been in our outbound coach boarded at whitefish and remembered travelling with us from Shelby. She'd attended the Crow Festival and we were shown all her purchases and heard all her adventures crossing Logan Pass for the first time. We're familiar with it, living close enough that we've travelled it many times. Not complaining, she was pleasant, fun and quite character, just a bit too chatty at times for us. Again, I'm not complaining, just stating our experience, tongue-in-cheek. :)

FYI - our trip was to attend the Kite Festival in Long Beach WA and we rented a car from Olympia (didn't want to drive through Seattle) and spent 3 nights there and returned for 3 nights in Olympia for shopping etc. To anyone interested - the Kite Festival is something to see! Well worth the time and travel - and gave us the opportunity for our first train travel! Absolutely loved the entire trip, the train being a big highlight of it!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I met a lady on our trip on the CZ who was booked on the lower-level and she couldn't stop praising it for the same reasons, quieter, fewer people, etc.

:hi: Glad you enjoyed the Trip in Coach! :cool: As to the seats, they will turn around so if you are faced with another instance of facing Coach Seats, the attendant can turn them around to face forward! Ive always found Canadians to be wonderful, (my late wife was from Ontario)there are always a few jerks from everywhere, just seems that some Americans dont travel well!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing. It sounds like a good trip.

BTW - I, too, like women only restroom facilities. :lol:

thanks for that heads up about turning the seats, Jim - will remember that should we travel by rail again! We did notice that wasn't the case on our return but didn't know that was the reason. There are jerks from Canada too - all part of travel regardless of where you are!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back