Home come no big discounts on Cardinal?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Gingee

I keep watching the Amtrak specials. There is a good one that would basically send half of a family of four free on a train. Bad thing is I don't think it applies to the Cardinal. How come they don't give us any good discounts? Don't they like us midwesterners?

I think you are referring to the "Share Fares" which allow up to four passengers to travel at 90% off the regular fare when two full fare tickets are purchased.

Currently, the promotion is only valid in the Northeast. From what I recall, this is done for a couple of reasons:

1) It's probably an experiment to see how well that kind of a promotion does, and

2) Northeast corridor fares are by far the highest non-sleeping car fares in the Amtrak network. Therefore, a promotion like that brings NEC fares down to the level that you're already paying on the Cardinal.

Hot deals - like what? We have reservations now but if it is cheaper, it is worth cancelling and rebooking. We have AAA rates going and Carnival rates coming back. I think it was something like 10 to 20 percent or something like that.

Guest_Gingee said:
Hot deals - like what? We have reservations now but if it is cheaper, it is worth cancelling and rebooking. We have AAA rates going and Carnival rates coming back. I think it was something like 10 to 20 percent or something like that.
AmtrakFan is probably referring to Amtrak's Rail Sale/Hot Deals weekly specials page over at http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak/WeeklySpecials . The Cardinal is listed on the rail sale page with deeply discounted prices, but the availability of the prices is extremely limited to just a few select dates. AAA discount is 10% off the railfare.

We are taking the train around Memorial Weekend so that shoots those discounts. We are coming back around the 8th or 9th of June so we are into summer at that time. We never do this right. LOL

jccollins said:
Guest_Gingee said:
Hot deals - like what?  We have reservations now but if it is cheaper, it is worth cancelling and rebooking.  We have AAA rates going and Carnival rates coming back.  I think it was something like 10 to 20 percent or something like that.
AmtrakFan is probably referring to Amtrak's Rail Sale/Hot Deals weekly specials page over at http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak/WeeklySpecials . The Cardinal is listed on the rail sale page with deeply discounted prices, but the availability of the prices is extremely limited to just a few select dates. AAA discount is 10% off the railfare.
Yes I was Indeed.

Back